Opinions on seats. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it’s getting hot on a bench seat there is no need to move to “the bedroom”.

It’s not a Corvette.

1970s dad joke:

Q: what do you call bucket seats with a console?
A: birth control

Knew a girl in HS named Samantha. Drove a Ford Galaxy. That front seat was big enuf!

She once offered a 3-way with a friend of hers. That girl ended up marrying my brother.

Oops
Wow...

You can always come to the Pig forum for a thoughtful, educated response to questions.

I think the best response this year: "Why don't you use the other hole?"

😘 the Bench Front and Rear 🧐🤔😉😘. You know why 😘😘😘😘 FRONT and REAR 🤪😲😯😳🧐🤔😉😘😘🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😘😘😘
1703430227714.png

This is why...

Manual adjust FTW!
No dead battery if something gets blocked under an adjustment control...
And you can move the seat if you have the battery disconnected.
That -AND- have you ever had to deal with (do any maintenance on) electric seat motors and their track systems?
What a PITA! Great when they’re new and everything works right. Nightmarish to deal with when it’s going out and has been living in a dirty environment for most of its life.

Would you be able to show a pic or 2 of your mounts?
I am away from home this whole week but here is a picture I have from pre-restomod of the mounts.

IMG_2260.jpeg

That -AND- have you ever had to deal with (do any maintenance on) electric seat motors and their track systems?
What a PITA! Great when they’re new and everything works right. Nightmarish to deal with when it’s going out and has been living in a dirty environment for most of its life.
You raise an excellent point here!

Good thing 55s are sealed up nice and tight, no air leaks so all that dirt road dust doesn't get in. :)
Yep, sealed like Ft. Knox.
At least mine will be after this incoming weatherstrip kit arrives and gets installed.
Back in the day, there would be a visible cloud of dust in the cab when running down dirt roads.

I’ve narrowed it down to two options. Tell me what you think. BMW e30 and 69-70 Chevy Chevelle seats. Both offer a similar vintage to the truck, both are sized to fit well in the r truck and leave ample room for a nice sized center console and both are very familiar to upholstery shops to recover with replacement parts readily available.

IMG_7689.png

IMG_7688.png

Fwiw the chevelle seats are a lot like what i had in mine when I bought it. They were very poorly installed and I went back to bench. If I were you I'd go with the Chevelle seats. The E30 seats squeeze your sides and I wouldn't want to ride in them on a bumpy road. (I owned the car they came out of for a spell, 1987 325IS)
My fj55 has a bench seat now and I love it!

suprised no one mentioned Corbeau? They actually make a bracket too. Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55 68-7/80 Seat Bracket - https://corbeau.com/toyota-land-cruiser-fj55-68-7-80-seat-bracket/

Last edited:
Thanks for the callout Bob! I think that most of us pig owners fall into two seat categories:
1) keep the stock bench seats
2) put in some new bucket style seats

I fall in the bench seat group. I just like the look of a vintage bench seat! With that in mind I pulled off the covers, removed the foam, fixed the cracked frame, fixed quite a few broken springs, and painted the seat frame and springs. Then I worked with an old school upholstery guy , described my vision of vintage look with more comfort, reviewed a few designs he came up with, selected a two tone black and gray style using aircraft vinyl that’s long wearing and heat resistant. Really happy with how they came out.

View attachment 3513884

View attachment 3513885

View attachment 3513886
These look great! going to show my seat guy your pics and have him try to so similar front and rear bench seats for my new Pig! Looks way better than SOR too and should be better quality and cheaper too.

Fwiw the chevelle seats are a lot like what i had in mine when I bought it. They were very poorly installed and I went back to bench. If I were you I'd go with the Chevelle seats. The E30 seats squeeze your sides and I wouldn't want to ride in them on a bumpy road. (I owned the car they came out of for a spell, 1987 325IS)
My fj55 has a bench seat now and I love it!
But if they were well installed they would have been fine? What does poorly installed mean?

They would have been OK if they were installed better. Not as good as the bench seat, for my purposes but better. Mine came with them bolted to the stock mounts on the outside but the inside was supported with all thread through the floor, which it had deformed. They were not adjustable but moved all over the place under load. They could have been made to work with a welder and an afternoon but instead I found a bench seat which I like a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom