OME BP-51 OWNERS...... ROLL CALL......... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From my experience, the issue with squeaky rear BP-51's is that when using two lipped washers above AND below the frame, they collide/rub with one another because the frame isn't thick enough, and this causes the squeak.

ARB shipped too many lipped washers with my rear shocks, and this is an error by ARB (a very expensive one for me personally). The parts received didn't match the bill of materials in the manual, and this wasn't caught by the installer.

As Nola662 illustrated you can have only one lipped washer touching the frame, not two. I simply reused the OEM washers, and from there the problem was solved.

From my experience, the issue with squeaky rear BP-51's is that when using two lipped washers above AND below the frame, they collide/rub with one another because the frame isn't thick enough, and this causes the squeak.

ARB shipped too many lipped washers with my rear shocks, and this is an error by ARB (a very expensive one for me personally). The parts received didn't match the bill of materials in the manual, and this wasn't caught by the installer.

As Nola662 illustrated you can have only one lipped washer touching the frame, not two. I simply reused the OEM washers, and from there the problem was solved.
I already replaced the top lip washers to OEM but sill squeaks, I will add two thick washers up top, did You replace also the bottom washer to OEM as well?

I had also heard that a cause of squeaking was excess slack in the rear BP-51 assembly, even when bolted all the way down. So in addition to replacing one of the lipped washers with an OEM washer (which I'm pretty sure was the primary cause), we also added as second OEM washer to pick up any potential slack.

With 50k on my BP51s and 170k on my truck I want to refresh the suspension and rebuild the shocks. It’s disappointing to hear that there is no ARB or dealer support.

What do you mean? They rebuild them at their head office.
Might have to correct this statement. We did discuss rebuilding with ARB some time ago and they indicated they can do it, but not sure on the turn around. We have not had the opportunity to send a set in for rebuild. Right now we are not sure how that would work or the cost.
Just re-read the last page. I’ll give ARB a call tomorrow and share what they say.

I did exactly as You said, added the two washers, little WD40 and no squeaks anymore, now I am absolutely happy, frankly, without Your suggestions I don't know what would I have done. My shop had no idea, how to solve this problems, in my country very few lc200 are sold and BP51 not common at all. Thanks again.
You need to add extra washers to the top right before the nut - assuming you already have only 1 lipped washer where they pass through the frame mount. I added 2 thick washers up top. It only squeaks if it isn't actually tight. You are probably running out of threads

Just re-read the last page. I’ll give ARB a call tomorrow and share what they say.

Just spoke to Jarred from Tech Support. ARB will only rebuild leaking shocks, but it is free of charge. You can't pay for a rebuild service and it will take 2-3 weeks turn around, including shipping time. Then they provided the same message that I got three years ago. "We currently only rebuild at our HQ. In the future we will train our premier dealers to rebuild the shocks." No vendors that I have called are offering a rebuild service.

With 50k miles on my suspension it does not make sense to rebuild one or two leaking shocks. I want them all rebuilt while I refresh the suspension components and bushings. Frankly this level of support is ridiculous for a high performance shock from a large company like ARB.

Did you try Cruiser outfitters? I feel like if any dealer is going to be trained it will be them

We are setting up to offer this service with tools/training. It will be an offering for any BP51's we've sold, if bandwidth allows, we may do outside overhauls. TBD.

Just spoke to Jarred from Tech Support. ARB will only rebuild leaking shocks, but it is free of charge. You can't pay for a rebuild service and it will take 2-3 weeks turn around, including shipping time. Then they provided the same message that I got three years ago. "We currently only rebuild at our HQ. In the future we will train our premier dealers to rebuild the shocks." No vendors that I have called are offering a rebuild service.

With 50k miles on my suspension it does not make sense to rebuild one or two leaking shocks. I want them all rebuilt while I refresh the suspension components and bushings. Frankly this level of support is ridiculous for a high performance shock from a large company like ARB.

Agree. Quite ridiculous that ARB touts it as a rebuildable shock but does not roll out the infrastructure for rebuilds through their dealer network. So essentially it's a $3500 throw away shock set like a Bilstein 6112 or 5100. Heck even the 6112 can be rebuilt. I'm staying away from the BP-51's and will be going with King's or Bilstein's. FYI, Bilstein has mentioned that their 8100's are planned for the 200 series soon and from what I understand the 8100's can be rebuilt at home with a easy DIY kit.

I would honestly suggest to anyone to stay away from the BP's. I am pretty disappointed in them. I just finished LCDC and am 2500 miles into a road trip...I would buy ironman pro's any day over the BP's again. I have played with the settings so much my wife is about to throw the wrench out the window. It's impossible to get them set to any happy medium that is comfortable on road and off. I shouldn't have to crawl under the truck to take a fire road on a whim.

I would honestly suggest to anyone to stay away from the BP's. I am pretty disappointed in them. I just finished LCDC and am 2500 miles into a road trip...I would buy ironman pro's any day over the BP's again. I have played with the settings so much my wife is about to throw the wrench out the window. It's impossible to get them set to any happy medium that is comfortable on road and off. I shouldn't have to crawl under the truck to take a fire road on a whim.

After 6 years running the BP-51’s on my 200, I couldn’t disagree more. It’s that exact ride quality on/off road that has been a proven selling point to those on the fence about investing the extra dollars. I would work with whomever you purchased from to verify coil mating, height settings, of course reb/compression and nitrogen pressure, all crucial items.

Customers are not generally shy when they spend that kind of money and are not happy with a product, nor should they be. Fwiw we’ve sold/installed hundreds of BP-51 setups and I can’t think of any ride quality/compliance complaints at all. There is plenty of disdain for the rear shock guards (both the current generation and the early metal plate style) as well as the ’clicky’ noise the early unit’s made particularly when cold. That drove some people nuts :D

If they are from us (Cruiser Outfitters), shoot us an email and lets get some dialogue going and figure out what‘s up. We can link in the Aus based ARB engineer if things are super odd. You shouldn’t need to be adjusting them that often at all and of everything else is jiving, your on/off road happy medium shouldn’t be so elusive imo.

After 6 years running the BP-51’s on my 200, I couldn’t disagree more. It’s that exact ride quality on/off road that has been a proven selling point to those on the fence about investing the extra dollars. I would work with whomever you purchased from to verify coil mating, height settings, of course reb/compression and nitrogen pressure, all crucial items.

Customers are not generally shy when they spend that kind of money and are not happy with a product, nor should they be. Fwiw we’ve sold/installed hundreds of BP-51 setups and I can’t think of any ride quality/compliance complaints at all. There is plenty of disdain for the rear shock guards (both the current generation and the early metal plate style) as well as the ’clicky’ noise the early unit’s made particularly when cold. That drove some people nuts :D

If they are from us (Cruiser Outfitters), shoot us an email and lets get some dialogue going and figure out what‘s up. We can link in the Aus based ARB engineer if things are super odd. You shouldn’t need to be adjusting them that often at all and of everything else is jiving, your on/off road happy medium shouldn’t be so elusive imo.
After reading this thread, and having an upcoming BP51 install at the end of the month, this post settled my nerves!

You need to add extra washers to the top right before the nut - assuming you already have only 1 lipped washer where they pass through the frame mount. I added 2 thick washers up top. It only squeaks if it isn't actually tight. You are probably running out of threads

View attachment 2727318
Thanks for the photo and the help on getting the stock top mount tight. Do you have a spec on those washers? They look a lot more stout than anything I have around.
Thanks!

Thanks for the photo and the help on getting the stock top mount tight. Do you have a spec on those washers? They look a lot more stout than anything I have around.
Thanks!
Those are just the washers that ARB includes with the newer sets (but I doubled them up). It doesn't need to be any particular washer - just get some added thickness in there, something that won't rust horribly.

Does anyone know if BP51’s can be rebuilt in house, as in by the owner? Are there rebuild kits available? I’ve heard of King’s, Icon’s and the like all being rebuilt by the owners. Also, is there any new development on the rear shock guards mentioned by Kurt? My left rear has lost it’s retainers multiple times, and the shaft is pitted. Has led to leaking of fluid and destruction of the lower bushing. Don’t get me wrong, I’d purchase these again in a heartbeat as they have improve the ride and handling of my 200 on & off-road 1000% compared to stock. I just hate the squeaking of the rear’s and the lower spherical bearings on the fronts. Time for a rebuild.

Does anyone know if BP51’s can be rebuilt in house, as in by the owner? Are there rebuild kits available? I’ve heard of King’s, Icon’s and the like all being rebuilt by the owners. Also, is there any new development on the rear shock guards mentioned by Kurt? My left rear has lost it’s retainers multiple times, and the shaft is pitted. Has led to leaking of fluid and destruction of the lower bushing. Don’t get me wrong, I’d purchase these again in a heartbeat as they have improve the ride and handling of my 200 on & off-road 1000% compared to stock. I just hate the squeaking of the rear’s and the lower spherical bearings on the fronts. Time for a rebuild.
I had some problems with the guards also so I removed them and installed some bud built shock armor, and I'm looking to source some shock socks that fit. Has anyone else found a sock/sleeve that has worked well? They make these for motorcycles and such, so I am sure they exist and would work for our application.

I will say that once you find the right setting off-road they preform very well. I just didn't expect that I would want or would have to change the settings so often (anytime moving from pavement to dirt, etc). Maybe I am just being paranoid or expecting more than I should. I will reach out and chat this week, and I really appreciate the assistance. Suspension setups as an entire package are complicated and maybe I'm undersprung in the rear or the use of airbags is causing some unwanted effects. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom