BP-51 Rebuild Mileage Poll (2 Viewers)

Edit: How many miles on your BP-51 shocks? Or if you've had them rebuilt, how many miles at rebuild?

• <30K

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30K - 40K

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 40K - 50K

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 50K - 60K

• 60K - 70K

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • >70K

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So as my shocks are in a box on a truck heading to Seattle, I get an email from ARB saying they are back ordered on seal kits and don’t know for sure how long the wait will be. I’d have rather known that before I shipped the shocks to them.

@Bullgump and anyone else planning on rebuilds, you might want to hold off until they get the seal kits in. For me, my rig is down for a couple months anyway so hopefully this won’t be a big deal.

So as my shocks are in a box on a truck heading to Seattle, I get an email from ARB saying they are back ordered on seal kits and don’t know for sure how long the wait will be. I’d have rather known that before I shipped the shocks to them.

@Bullgump and anyone else planning on rebuilds, you might want to hold off until they get the seal kits in. For me, my rig is down for a couple months anyway so hopefully this won’t be a big deal.
Thanks for heads up. The rep I emailed stated at least 1 month because of parts inventory. I'm in same boat as you, no real trips planned for remainder of year.

So my BP-51 shocks and coilovers were returned by ARB without being rebuilt.

You would think that ARB USA would post a notice on their website & inform major authorized retailers that they were unable to rebuild BP-51 shocks/coilovers at this time.

Why has ARB Australia not air freighted a supply of seal kits to ARB USA in Seattle?

So my BP-51 shocks and coilovers were returned by ARB without being rebuilt.

You would think that ARB USA would post a notice on their website & inform major authorized retailers that they were unable to rebuild BP-51 shocks/coilovers at this time.

Why has ARB Australia not air freighted a supply of seal kits to ARB USA in Seattle?
So they didn’t email you first? When did you send them in?

After I read @elkeye post about his shocks being returned w/o being rebuilt, emailed ARB and told them I had seen a forum post about shocks being returned not rebuilt and I wanted to make sure the back ordered seal kits didn’t cause this to happen to my shocks that I had already shipped and that they have received.

My contact replied saying that without visible leaking they would not rebuild the shocks. I reminded him that in my initial inquiry I had stated I wasn’t having any issues and wanted to confirm that they would rebuild them under the free offer (I had heard that they would not) and he said yes they would rebuild and recommended I send them in.

His reply is below:

“My apologies for the misinformation, overall our technicians are not allowed to rebuild any BP51's unless they are physically leaking due to many variables of use, which is the reason that we do not have any mileage of when to have them rebuilt and would need to be rebuilt when the signs of leakage is visible.

After talking to my manager what our repair technicians are able to do is inspect all orings, seals and refill nitrogen. By any means if the orings or seals would need to be replaced we will be holding them for your safety until our shipment of seals arrive from over seas which we have no ETA of when this shipment will take place. Will also be replacing shaft guards and bushings. “

I will say that my contact is responsive to emails and does seem to be trying to be helpful. His last reply is at least better than just sending them back to me untouched.

I’ve never rebuilt a shock but I don’t know how you inspect an o-ring without removing it and looking at it in your hand. If you have taken it out, why wouldn’t you replace it with a new one? I never reuse an oil filter o-ring because I’m right there and have the new one that came with the filter.

The only reason I can think of is the actual lack of the seal kits. If that’s the reason why don’t they just say that? And why not say that BEFORE people send in their shocks. Removing them and shipping them across the country is not trivial.

After I read @elkeye post about his shocks being returned w/o being rebuilt, emailed ARB and told them I had seen a forum post about shocks being returned not rebuilt and I wanted to make sure the back ordered seal kits didn’t cause this to happen to my shocks that I had already shipped and that they have received.

My contact replied saying that without visible leaking they would not rebuild the shocks. I reminded him that in my initial inquiry I had stated I wasn’t having any issues and wanted to confirm that they would rebuild them under the free offer (I had heard that they would not) and he said yes they would rebuild and recommended I send them in.

His reply is below:

“My apologies for the misinformation, overall our technicians are not allowed to rebuild any BP51's unless they are physically leaking due to many variables of use, which is the reason that we do not have any mileage of when to have them rebuilt and would need to be rebuilt when the signs of leakage is visible.

After talking to my manager what our repair technicians are able to do is inspect all orings, seals and refill nitrogen. By any means if the orings or seals would need to be replaced we will be holding them for your safety until our shipment of seals arrive from over seas which we have no ETA of when this shipment will take place. Will also be replacing shaft guards and bushings. “

I will say that my contact is responsive to emails and does seem to be trying to be helpful. His last reply is at least better than just sending them back to me untouched.

I’ve never rebuilt a shock but I don’t know how you inspect an o-ring without removing it and looking at it in your hand. If you have taken it out, why wouldn’t you replace it with a new one? I never reuse an oil filter o-ring because I’m right there and have the new one that came with the filter.

The only reason I can think of is the actual lack of the seal kits. If that’s the reason why don’t they just say that? And why not say that BEFORE people send in their shocks. Removing them and shipping them across the country is not trivial.
They aren’t inspecting orings directly. They are (probably closely) inspecting for leaks.. there really isn’t much else to do and if they won’t proactively rebuild I seriously doubt they are opening them to look close before reassembling, charging, and testing. You are correct that’s a quick way to get them to leak.

The perception that things could go this way is part of why I chose kings in the first place.

His reply is below:

@kcjaz

I spoke to an ARB representative at Cruise Moab this year and he confirmed to me that ARB was rebuilding BP-51 shocks/coilovers (irrespective of mileage/age). Nothing was said that they would not rebuild BP51's unless they are physically leaking!

I also confirmed with my installer, a major authorized retailer, that ARB was rebuilding BP-51 shock/coilovers (at no charge).

After LCDC IX, I took my vehicle to my installer and my BP-51 shocks/coilovers were removed and shipped to ARB (by my installer).

I have no doubt that my installer would not have sent my shocks/coilovers to ARB if they had any indication that they would not rebuild BP51's unless they were physically leaking.

If there are no seals (or seal kits) in Australia to send, this would explain why your contact emailed you that they have no ETA on when their shipment of seals from overseas will take place.

Will be interesting to find out if ARB refilled your nitrogen and installed new bushings (before returning your shocks/coilovers).

The perception that things could go this way is part of why I chose kings in the first place.
Meaning King will rebuild when you send them in regardless of leaking or not?

If I can’t rebuild my shocks as PM when I want to, at my convenience, rather than run them until they have some issue, then I will be changing to Kings of something else. Maybe my BP51s end up being the suspension I run while my Kings are getting rebuilt. That would be pretty nuts given the cost of the BP51s.

Meaning King will rebuild when you send them in regardless of leaking or not?

If I can’t rebuild my shocks as PM when I want to, at my convenience, rather than run them until they have some issue, then I will be changing to Kings of something else. Maybe my BP51s end up being the suspension I run while my Kings are getting rebuilt. That would be pretty nuts given the cost of the BP51s.
You’ll pay but King, or filthy, or any number of other places can get king parts and rebuild them for you. Or do them yourself.. extensive videos online and if you can be clean and have attention to detail it really isn’t difficult. That was always my plan for mine.

This whole thing sounded too good to be true from the beginning.

@kcjaz

I spoke to an ARB representative at Cruise Moab this year and he confirmed to me that ARB was rebuilding BP-51 shocks/coilovers (irrespective of mileage/age). Nothing was said that they would not rebuild BP51's unless they are physically leaking!

I also confirmed with my installer, a major authorized retailer, that ARB was rebuilding BP-51 shock/coilovers (at no charge).

After LCDC IX, I took my vehicle to my installer and my BP-51 shocks/coilovers were removed and shipped to ARB (by my installer).

I have no doubt that my installer would not have sent my shocks/coilovers to ARB if they had any indication that they would not rebuild BP51's unless they were physically leaking.

If there are no seals (or seal kits) in Australia to send, this would explain why your contact emailed you that they have no ETA on when their shipment of seals from overseas will take place.

Will be interesting to find out if ARB refilled your nitrogen and installed new bushings (before returning your shocks/coilovers).

Not sure who your installer was but the good folks at Slee were the ones who mentioned to me verbally that ARB was rebuilding them for free. I didn't see an email or flyer or any specifics with restrictions so perhaps there are, but it didn't sound like that was the case. Maybe due to a limited quantity of seals ARB is changing their parameters. Disappointing if that's the case.

update: Got email from ARB and they are done with my shocks and will be sending them back next week. there note said:

"Suspension bushings, spherical bearings and nitrogen has been refilled and replaced. Your shocks were tested for leaks by our technicians and have indicated they have not found any leakage of any sort. They are fully functional as they were designed too. You will get tracking once these BP51's have left our facility."

So they didn't do nothing. Not really sure what "tested for leaks" means. All I think you can do is visually inspect for oil on the exterior of the shock body.

update: Got email from ARB and they are done with my shocks and will be sending them back next week. there note said:

"Suspension bushings, spherical bearings and nitrogen has been refilled and replaced. Your shocks were tested for leaks by our technicians and have indicated they have not found any leakage of any sort. They are fully functional as they were designed too. You will get tracking once these BP51's have left our facility."

So they didn't do nothing. Not really sure what "tested for leaks" means. All I think you can do is visually inspect for oil on the exterior of the shock body.
Submerge in water and see if it bubbles, like looking for a nail in a tire?

Submerge in water and see if it bubbles, like looking for a nail in a tire?
The dynamic seals which are much more likely to leak will have oil behind them, so I’m guessing it’s more along the lines of add extra pressure and see what happens. Possibly cycle them through their RoM to apply extra stress and monitor.

Do you feel it was worth the trouble and expense to send them in, if no leaking or other issues?

Do you feel it was worth the trouble and expense to send them in, if no leaking or other issues?
Well my lower bushings on the rears were not in great shape and they replaced those. They also replaced the front strut spherical bushings/bearings thogh I didn't notice anything bad with them. No way to know if they needed a N2 recharge or not. They appear just to depressurize them as part of the inspection and then recharge them.

If I was just going to do this a PM, I don't think I'd bother w/o knowing I had issues. You could pull the rears and inspect the bushings and potentially replace them yourself w/o shipping (cost) and waiting. Wish there was a way to check N2 pressure.

For my situation, with my rig now being totalled and needing to remove the suspension and move it over to the new truck, I'm OK with it. Essentially $250 shipping to have them checked and bushings replaced.

Just got my shocks back. All new lower bushings and new plastic guards for the rear shocks.

Sent them in on Aug 9 so ~3 week turn around include ground shipping both ways so not bad. They did not charge for return shipping.

Stumbled back upon this thread.. did their willingness to rebuild ever get any better?

I also realized, even if they aren't leaking, the oil does degrade over time, so a rebuild can definitely be necessary on a shock that appears totally fine from the outside..

Short OT question… why BP51‘s if there are not much chances over there in the US to drive hundreds of miles on hard washboard tracks where you would need a bypass?
Even with hours of washboard tracks in Northafrica my normal EK150 from Ome didn’t got tired or hot.
You'd be surprised how many hours upon hours of washboard are available in the US, especially the West.

We also have many customers that spend time in Mexico and Central America where the roads can be extra bad.

The BP-51s make a huge difference, even on roads that aren't very bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom