Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use a can of WD 40, or put some diesel in a trigger spray bottle. Remove your rubber elbow from the intake manifold and spray the WD40 or diesel into the manifold while someone else is cranking. It will catch and fire and spray again to keep it going until it sucks and pumps it's own fuel. You can also do this with starting fluid, but it is hard on the engine some say.......Ditto on cracking the lines to the injectors till fuel sprays out. That's pretty basic, would assume you've done that already given the depth of all the work you did.
Also ensure you have 24V on the wire to the IP/fuel solenoid. It's not insulated and easy to pop the fuse wrenching around the IP with the key on.

Here's hoping for a fresh START this morning!

Here's hoping for a fresh START this morning!

You guessed it Rob!! Needed to walk away a bit...

Walked out this morning, put the hand throttle about half-way cranked, and voila!! Started right up and ran great. Spectacular in fact. Smoothest this engine has ever run.

Bled the cooling system and getting nice hot air. Cooling system is good.

No leaks even! Very rare after all the work I did and how many systems I messed with. Still need to bleed the brakes, clutch and PS system.

The only issue is the engine dies when I uncrank the hand throttle and bring it back to idle.

Dies immediately. It’s as if the fuel is being cut-off immediately.

Need to check the pedal position and the linkages. Need to check fuel cut-off solenoid...

Then onto the simple stuff for diagnosis.

s***-eating grin this morning.

305CE0A0-F6F1-4578-99D2-2F74BFE10FBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome! I wish I was there to hear it come back to life.

Yes, crack them injector lines. I did same when I started mine the first time after rebuild, it wanted to catch but couldn't. Had my wife crank while I cracked the lines and away she went.

Thats one very smooth 3B. Good to see the tractor running stout again. How many full engine rebuilds have you done in the past? I'm in the know of a seized 1hd-fte, really tempted to get stuck into it now.

Awesome! Fantastic work!! :clap: Sounds like one happy diesel.

What would you plug into a 24v lighter socket that wouldn't fry itself? Is there a way to run the lighter plug off the new 12V circuit you're installing for accesories?

You might be surprised at what will work on 24V. Look at the fine print on the device and many times you will see good for up to 30V. This includes USB power port plug in's, GPS's, etc. My older Nuvi GPS is good to go plugged into a 24V socket.

hth's
gb

Nicely done!

If you have any interest, send me a clear photo with some measurements of the intercooler radiator cap, I can print up a new sticker that says something other than "engine coolant". It can read "intercooler fill", or anything else you prefer.

Enjoy your nearly new truck!

Andrew

Youtube video link:

Onur,
Fantastic. Was she running at idle for the video? [it seemed to be running at higher RPM]
Congratulations. I am very interested in how your intercooler performs. Its integration in your 70 looks natural (well thought out).

Onur,
Fantastic. Was she running at idle for the video? [it seemed to be running at higher RPM]
Congratulations. I am very interested in how your intercooler performs. Its integration in your 70 looks natural (well thought out).

Hi Larry: Thanks for the photos the other night. Hope I didn't bother you too late.

She was not running at idle in the video. I had the hand throttle cranked up a bit to keep rpm's up so it would run.

I haven't plugged the IC in yet. In fact, I haven't plugged any non-factory systems in. I want to make sure the factory systems are operating correctly before introducing--incrementally--modifications like the IC, gauges, aux lights, etc. I hate doing this kind of work and introducing out-side parameter options/auxiliaries that might possible interfere with correct factory operation.

The turbo is a known-known, to use a Rumsfeldian term.... I know what it can do, what it does to the engine, and how it performs in conjunction with the engine.

Once I put about 500 miles on the truck, I will then wire in the IC, gauges, aux lights, etc.

Once I know that everything is correct and functional as they should be.

Nicely done!

If you have any interest, send me a clear photo with some measurements of the intercooler radiator cap, I can print up a new sticker that says something other than "engine coolant". It can read "intercooler fill", or anything else you prefer.

Enjoy your nearly new truck!

Andrew

Hi Andrew: Thanks for the generous offer. It's tempting, but I generally prefer keeping OEM instructional/warning labels/iconography. Luckily, I know what the 2nd 16401-54750 cap is for. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom