COMPILED - 80 Series Seat Swap Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, so they would be even higher with the Planter bracket I think. In that case, I'll likely just go the E46 route, as from what I can tell, that should be the same as stock. I don't need the headspace, i'm just looking for less of a booster seat feeling and more of a bucket seat position.

I swapped in Porsche 911 (997.2) vented seats over three weekends in May. Fabricated custom brackets for all four corners and removed the rear heater to keep the passenger seat low enough.
Replaced the LC seatbelts with Boxter belts from eBay.
1591731197392.jpeg

1591731360223.jpeg

1591731469199.jpeg

1591731487777.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 2334787
I installed Porsche 911 (997.2) vented seats over the month of May. Fabricated custom brackets for all four corners and removed the rear heater.

View attachment 2334788
View attachment 2334790
View attachment 2334791
That came out great. Did you need to flatten the trans tunnel hump for the inside rail? Also, how is the height on those? They look to be all manual so I'm wondering if they have a lower profile, in that they can drop down lower without the motors in the way.

The forward/back adjustment is manual, but the tilt is powered. Everything tucks up above the seat rails, so they sit directly on the side-to-side hump no problem. They're a couple of inches wider than the 80 seat rails, so I cut into the side to side hump (what's that called?) at the trans tunnel (photo 2). On the driver's inner side I welded an angle-iron derived bracket in, but on the passenger side I just bolted the inner bracket to the stock seat bolt location (also photo 2). I feel like I sit a little lower than the stock seats, which is good for me because I'm 6'2" with a tall torso.

Here’s the driver’s inner front bracket welded in.
1591737251577.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, I think I follow. Would it have been easier in hindsight to use the Planted bracket to provide the platform, then just drill mounting holes as needed (I'm assuming the ones it provides won't match up). Ignoring the $$ factor of course.

Also, that gray color is nice. I think it's darker than the OEM gray for sure, but would still look nice.

Thanks. I like them. They don't match my tan/brown interior at all, but they were only $800 off Craigslist. I've spent more in the past on putting heat/ac and leather patch panels into LX450 seats in a previous truck. The other swap choices I'm seeing on this thread probably offer more padding and comfort.

I put Corbeau seats in my daughter's LX450 a couple of years ago. Those things were hard as a rock.

I have a lead on a set of Audi TT (Mk1) seats in gray. The desigh and color is pretty close to the stock leather seats it appears, plus they are manual, look to have Recaro like tracks and it also appears to be a low profile seat bottom, so as to retain or maybe even lower the overall seat height. That checks all my boxes. I have some Planted mounts that I'm hoping they will bolt right up too, but I can always drill new holes if need be. We shall see!

I have a lead on a set of Audi TT (Mk1) seats in gray. The desigh and color is pretty close to the stock leather seats it appears, plus they are manual, look to have Recaro like tracks and it also appears to be a low profile seat bottom, so as to retain or maybe even lower the overall seat height. That checks all my boxes. I have some Planted mounts that I'm hoping they will bolt right up too, but I can always drill new holes if need be. We shall see!
How did it go !!

Grey, they are a lighter shade of grey compared with the factory seats.
Thx how does it look with the rest of the grey interior?

Thx how does it look with the rest of the grey interior?

They match alright with the interior, other than being a shade lighter.
I can tell you that I used to have constant lower back pain with the factory seats, and now with the Corbeaus the pain is gone. I drove from Florida to Tennessee (Windrock park) and back last weekend and there was no hint of pain. The Corbeaus felt kinda firm when new, but now they're perfect.

They match alright with the interior, other than being a shade lighter.
I can tell you that I used to have constant lower back pain with the factory seats, and now with the Corbeaus the pain is gone. I drove from Florida to Tennessee (Windrock park) and back last weekend and there was no hint of pain. The Corbeaus felt kinda firm when new, but now they're perfect.
Thx worried about the color being way off!

over the weekend i ripper out my stock seats and replaced with a pair of evolution 7 recaros. We made a jig under the factory seats and connected all 4 legs to one another. then we drilled and cut out the legs. this was done so as to ensure the factory positions and angles were retained. Next we placed jig on recaro base and mad an adapter to mate it up. this allowed the direct bolt up of the seats and I was able to retain the use of the factory seat leg covers. After a couple days use, 2 things i have notice. i sit about an inch higher than before, its a way better position to be in as i clearly see the road and offroading should be super easy. Still have about 6 to 8 inches of headroom. and the 2nd thing is the seats are WAY WAYYYYYYYYYYY more comfy lol

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 12.36.28 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 12.36.28.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 08.43.52 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 08.43.52 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 08.43.52.jpeg

Requesting advice on what price I should ask for these seats:
1593295531003.jpeg

1593295565951.jpeg

1593295600475.jpeg

Anyone know off of the top of their head how much work it takes to get 60 series seats into an early manual seat 80 series, 91-92?

I may have stumbled on a second set of turbo 60 series seats, besides the ones i'm currently holding for a friend.

I'd measure myself but I don't have my friends 80 in front of me, 1000 miles away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom