I need help installing child car seats in a JDM 1994 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am the proud new owner of a 1994 and it is my daily driver. This is my first official post to the forum.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to install a toddler and/or newborn car seat in a JDM 80 series. One is forward facing and one is rear facing.

I have these hooks on the end of a small strap attached to the bases of the rear seats (on both driver and passenger side) that look like they came standard but I can’t figure out how they would attach to or secure a car seat.

My owners manual is in Japanese and I can’t figure out where to go to figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Your old ass rig was designed long before the modern child seat. If you have 3rd row seats and have no use for them use the anchor points in the cargo area for those straps. From this picture use the anchor points closest to the 2nd row.

1705186093196.png

seat-belts are stronger then the latch system anyway, they are now recommending to NOT use the latch system above 40 lb kids. the forward facing seat should have a top tether point attachment also though. either use the 3rd row attachment or get creative and make something to attach it to.

This thing rocks! My kids were before cars had all the latch stuff. We used these to tighten the kid seats down.
When tight, the car seat is effectively one with the vehicle.

1705203901388.png

I just use the seat belt to hold my daughters car seat, most car seats have 3 ways to connect: 3-point or 2-point seats belts and the hooks....,but our cars definitely don't have the special car seat hooks!

For a forward facing you attach it with the 3-point harness like everyone is saying. If you pull the seatbelt maxed out, it will engage the locking ratcheting as well, then pull it tight and the seat is basically locked in. I put my rear facing in the middle, with the base attached through the lap belt which is going to be just as strong as the latch system once tightened.

For a forward facing you attach it with the 3-point harness like everyone is saying. If you pull the seatbelt maxed out, it will engage the locking ratcheting as well, then pull it tight and the seat is basically locked in. I put my rear facing in the middle, with the base attached through the lap belt which is going to be just as strong as the latch system once tightened.
That is my same set up. It makes it easier when your 5th passanger doesnt have to squeeze between the two car seats.

Thanks for the reply’s.
Thanks for all of the replies. The main reason I was posting is because I can’t seem to get my seat belts to engage the ratcheting lock-out. So I was thinking either they didn’t come standard on the JDM 80s or they were switched out at some point. I find that unlikely since the thing is pretty much stock. Sounds like I either have to use the center lap belt or figure out how those weird dangling hooks work…. and troubleshoot the seat belts a little more to see if I’m just being dumb today.

Thanks again.

And yeah, I should have been more clearer in my original post … I knew that our 80s weren’t going to have the LATCH posts like the newer cars. I was just trying figure out the seat belt and weird hook situation. I just assumed the 80s didn’t have the seatbelt ratcheting lockout function either.

As always thanks for all of the help

Thanks for the reply’s.

Thanks for all of the replies. The main reason I was posting is because I can’t seem to get my seat belts to engage the ratcheting lock-out.
Not exactly sure what you mean. Seat belts don't "engage" (which I assume you mean lock up) unless they are subject to a force like major braking. Just put the seatbelts in through the car seat. You can't use the new type clips in any 80 series.

And yeah, I should have been more clearer in my original post … I knew that our 80s weren’t going to have the LATCH posts like the newer cars. I was just trying figure out the seat belt and weird hook situation. I just assumed the 80s didn’t have the seatbelt ratcheting lockout function either.

You can also take it to your local fire station and they will help you install them for free.

Not exactly sure what you mean. Seat belts don't "engage" (which I assume you mean lock up) unless they are subject to a force like major braking. Just put the seatbelts in through the car seat. You can't use the new type clips in any 80 series.
Yeah I understand that part, but like ATXnative said above … most every vehicle I have been in or put car seats in, when you pull the seat belt all the way out it will lock down and ratchet in on itself so you can pull it down snug around the car seat and it won’t come unlocked until you unbuckle it and run it all the way back in again. My 80 seatbelts don’t do that. So I guess that’s the crux of my problem.

Thanks for the help.

You can also take it to your local fire station and they will help you install them for free.
Yeah I used to be a volunteer firefighter in my spare time and was thinking the same thing about 20 minutes ago haha. That’s probably where I will be going next after my chores are done, at least so they can check my work if I think it’s janky

Yeah I understand that part, but like ATXnative said above … most every vehicle I have been in or put car seats in, when you pull the seat belt all the way out it will lock down and ratchet in on itself so you can pull it down snug around the car seat and it won’t come unlocked until you unbuckle it and run it all the way back in again. My 80 seatbelts don’t do that. So I guess that’s the crux of my problem.

Thanks for the help.
My US spec 80 does that FWIW. I just checked it to verify. I only checked the rear seatbelts.

So that weird hook is for holding the folded rear seat up against the back of the front seat. It hooks to the rear passenger grab handle and has a slide buckle to keep it tight.

Just trust me and use the Mighty Tite ratchet thingy. They are amazing.

I have a European HDJ80 that also doesn’t have the ratcheting once pulled all the way out. i think this was an American safety standard and wasn’t on overseas models until later. you could always swap the seatbelts from an American 80 that have ratcheting if you wanted the ease of installation.

what you have to do for now, is use a little bracket that looks like a H. it is a pain in the butt to get adjusted correctly. the video below shows how to install them.

My US spec 80 does that FWIW. I just checked it to verify. I only checked the rear seatbelts.
Thanks for checking. My JDM does not unless there is a weird trick. I’m going to pull them apart tomorrow and see what’s up. I’ll let you guys know what I find. I might just replace the seat belts with newer locking ones.

The locking clip in post #17 is the way to go.
That’s what we used when my kids were young! The trick is to use you weight ( put your knee in the car seat ) to push it down into vehicles seat. This will allow you to get the seat tight. If done correctly the car seat will be one with the vehicle 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom