Anyone mount LEDs on interior rear hatch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone any mounted work type LEDs on interior rear hatch lid? I use the tail gate a lot as a work/cook area when camping. it occurred to me that it would be nice to have some overhead lights mounted to the interior rear hatch top. I am sure it is simple but anyone made any nice overhead work lights?

Maybe it would be better to mount some lights inside the truck but still in the rear area. What about mounting them in the rear speaker area that most of us dont use. If they were on a swivle they might work well while in the truck as well as shine on the rear tail gate.

Edit: Wow! would you believe a simple search found a few threads! LOL but it is in the 200 section. So lets see what the 80 people are up to.

Last edited:
Plenty of posts in 80 tech too.

I believe @LandCruiserPhil made something up very similar to what Kurt is offering the 200 crowd. The switch and the red light are a nice touch.

I mounted an extra dome light there in the hatch and added an led. I grabbed power from second row dome following a post i searched out on here. Been there for 6-7 years no problem. Ill look but pretty certain ive sold all my extra domes to others doing the same.

Lots of folks have done this in slightly dfferent ways from strip led to factory domes to adjustable spots in the ceiling speakers.

1973guppies
80 Interior LED Writeup with a twist

Nc lx
NC LX450

Last edited:
I cut a pair or surface mount LEDs into the plastic on the lower part of the upper hatch. Added a small toggle switch inside the hatch release surround. Tapped into the dome light power on the driver's side. Worked well and illuminated the hatch as well as the surrounding ground area.
I need to do this again on the LX450.
These are the ones I used:
High-Intensity LED Flood Light | Oznium

Last edited:
There are a few lighting threads in the FAQ with some using the rear speaker location to add LED's. A quick skim noted differences in the ease of installation dependent upon the year of rig and headliner installed.

I like that swivel LED, wonder how that would hold up with a bunch of gear in the back end of the rig?

HTH.

Rear Cargo Light Install

Light Modifications - For FAQ

I used an extra dome light as well. The handle on the hatch is offset so I mounted the dome light close to center. I used a brighter warm white LED panel since we use the tail gate quite a bit for cooking, prep, and setup. The LED is wired into the 2nd row dome light and can function either independent or switch on/off with the opening closing of the doors. I would like a lower powered switched red light option. I have power in the hatch. Adding a switch and LED's shouldn't be too difficult.

I mounted one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1YI2XA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on the hatch near the latch and added a small switch inside the handle area. Tons of light.
I don't have a picture of the switch but it's just a simple little rocker switch.

20160101_125539.jpg
20170421_204121.jpg

Here’s another thread.
Rear cargo light install, ERG80 style
I have a 93 so I pulled back the headliner a bit and found the factor harness bunched up by the DS D pillar. Harness connected directly into another 80 dome lamp that I flush mounted into the hatch. Great mod!

I mounted one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1YI2XA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on the hatch near the latch and added a small switch inside the handle area. Tons of light.
I don't have a picture of the switch but it's just a simple little rocker switch.

View attachment 1658422 View attachment 1658423

I have same but does not seem as bright as your pic? I have them under the doors as well as puddle lights.

I like the red, @LandCruiserPhil , I assume it is to repel bugs.........and not attract customers? :D

Regards

Dave

<snip>

I like the red, @LandCruiserPhil , I assume it is to repel bugs.........and not attract customers? :D

Regards

Dave

Yes and makes it super easy to find your Land Cruiser when gathered with the masses of LC's.

Mine's similar to Phil's but without the dimmer and red light options - both of which I like a lot and will eventually have.
LED strip glued to the hatch and controlled with a switch on the panel to the right of the fridge.

40100636074_f5517a299b_c.jpg

@Glenn-BJ74 glued his LED strip on the lip beneath the hatch window so the strip faces in toward the truck interior when the hatch is open, rather than straight down like most of us have.
It's really nice; still WAY more than enough light and you don't get the direct brightness of the LEDs in your eyes.

Less light and red light means less bugs and attention. Anymore I strive to use very little to no light when I camp. And because my camps are usually very remote if i see another vehicle I shut all lighting down and grab my pistola and watch.:poof:

Nice setup. Do you have any information about what lights you used?

I use LED Wholesale 3100K 300 lamp strips. They make a 600 lamp strip but I have found them to be too bright. The color is accurate and the strips are quality and very reliable. I use the same strips with our link►Awning Lighting Kits.

Installed many years ago. Three 1W LEDs (I guess I could upgrade with newer stuff I now have....). It's very light so just held in place with a couple of zipties through the headliner. It's a recycled 12V fluoro housing from probably 1999 era.

luxx3ins.jpg

Set to dim level (8 dimming levels):

luxx3ins1.jpg

Details to fish +/- wires from 2nd row/cargo dome:

undoliner.jpg

cheers,
george.

I use the LED strips for lighting the tailgate on the 80 series. For the cargo area I use the holes where the 3rd row belts bolt where as seen below on our LX470 . They work great with an attic rack and the install looks very clean and professional.

img_9660-1-jpg.1488822

img_9665-1-jpg.1488823

Painted the rear speaker covers. Now known as LED Cargo Light Covers. Each side has 9 Leds on them. Looks pretty bright even with the covers on. What's really great is that the speaker covers actually reduce all side glare and will mostly shoot the light downward so I won't be blinded when I open the rear hatch like the dome lights usually do.

View attachment 1262921

View attachment 1262922

Painted the rear speaker covers. Now known as LED Cargo Light Covers. Each side has 9 Leds on them. Looks pretty bright even with the covers on. What's really great is that the speaker covers actually reduce all side glare and will mostly shoot the light downward so I won't be blinded when I open the rear hatch like the dome lights usually do.

View attachment 1262921

View attachment 1262922

Great idea and stealth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom