Rear cargo light install, ERG80 style (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I cannot take credit for this idea. I saw it on the rear cargo light install thread. I sourced my cargo light and pigtail from a part out (Thanks Arcteryx).

What I did,
Remove cargo light behind second row seat.
Remove D-pillar seatbelt on driverside and the plastic.
Remove caps holding up headliner and separate the headliner at the rear cargo hatch.
Remove grab handle and plastics from rear hatch.
Allow headliner to droop a little in order to run wire (2 separate 18G) to rear cargo light
Run wire from body to rear hatch utilizing rubber "conduit" already in place for rear defrost and wiper motor wiring.
Use vampire clips to attach new wire to existing wire for rear cargo light.
Cut hole in plastic shroud of rear hatch to mount cargo light to.
Use a small piece of wire run to the cargo light into the light and secure wire using a small round eyelet wire terminal.
Test light after ground wire attached to mounting bolt. (I used one of the bolts holding the wiper motor to the rear hatch)
secure light to plastic shroud.
Re-install shroud.
Re-secure rubber conduit to hatch and body opening inside the "door jamb"
re-secure headliner.
Re-install rear cargo light.
IMG_3295.jpg
IMG_3291.jpg
IMG_3302.jpg

Sorry for fuzzy iphone pics :hillbilly:
IMG_3293.jpg
IMG_3292.jpg
IMG_3298.jpg

Finished product
IMG_3299.jpg
IMG_3305.jpg
IMG_3304.jpg

Also, I intentionally left that screw the "ground" wire was running through in order to keep the wire from running in front of the bulb.

Hope you all like it.

Don't thank me, Thank ERG80! :cheers:

Rubber "conduit" I am referring to.
IMG_3290.jpg

Thanks! It seems like the most logical spot for one as if I put it at the very rear of the roof it would point towards the second row seat. Im happy with the light output on the tailgate area!

Great job Grizzlygibbs and thanks. You're right, It is the most logical place for light output in the rear and looks like it belongs there.

Here are a few pics from my install in an Oak interior Cruiser.
1st is the required holes and light before paint.
2nd is installed and after paint.

ERG80
2011-02-12_11.15.38.jpg
2011-02-12_13.22.57.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Your cuts look better than mine. I was not worried due to the light covering it up :hillbilly:

The paint looks good, how is it holding up for you?

I really am glad I saw where you installed it, I did not want to cut my headliner and possibly some sheet metal! :cheers:

I have the instructions so the setup will be exactly like stock. Make sure you ground it to somethig otherwise only the door funtion will work and the on funtion will not. You could use any constant 12 volt already in the hatch if you just want the "on" function, but by running the wire to the second row light you are "borrowing" the signals sent from the door switches to turn lights on when the light is in door function and any combination of passenger rear doors and/or rear hatch is opened.

Nice! Your cuts look better than mine. I was not worried due to the light covering it up :hillbilly:

The paint looks good, how is it holding up for you?

I really am glad I saw where you installed it, I did not want to cut my headliner and possibly some sheet metal! :cheers:

Paints holding up fine. The door handle protects it from most accidental bumps back there.

I just did this project last weekend. Very happy with it, especially with the LED panel from FullyLitLED!

Running the wires through the hatch was a bit of a pain, but it's possible with a little persistence...

IMAG0458.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

Thanks for the great idea!!!

Last edited:
Looks great... What guage wire did you use? I have 2(with LEDs) that I am going to install. Bit of an overkill but will use it while camping.

Thanks
Stu
I used 16ga just because it's what I had laying around.

16ga will be fine for you if you want to run two additional LED lamps. The weakest link will be the existing 18ga (or approximately the metric equivalent to 18ga) serving the 2nd row lamp to which you're now adding two more lamps.

Thank erg80! You just have to make sure to ground the light similarly to how I did so it functions in the on position too otherwise it will only work when open.

Thank erg80! You just have to make sure to ground the light similarly to how I did so it functions in the on position too otherwise it will only work when open.
Not only do you have to make sure that it's grounded, you also have to make sure the polarity is correct. Even with the ground, if the polarity is reversed the light won't work in the "On" position but it will work in the "Door" position.

Yes, it has been a while and I forgot that. Good catch!

Cargo Illumination

I have been gathering the pieces for this project for a while. I decided to start this install.

Step 1. for me was to install twin lights in the door lid.

I made templates and then measured the same distance from each end since the handle is not centered. Measure 5X then cut 2x :clap:

Step 2. was to bolt in the light and attach the most important Ground lugs.
2012-02-28_12-57-27_628.jpg
2012-02-28_11-53-46_51.jpg
2012-02-28_19-10-34_565.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom