How to figure out what color original owner used in his 1997 repaint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The wife's truck was originallyr Freeborn Red 309. In 1997, the OR had a beautiful comprehensive repaint done. The truck was then stored in an airplane hanger for 7 plus years. Second owner kept it in a garage. So, the paint is not faded, but I need some touch up paint. I've been in contact the OR's daughter who is looking through her deceased father's papers. She found the original window sticker and some miscellaneous papers but nothing on the paint job.

So, the color existed in 1997. It is much darker and richer than Freeborn. The wife describes it as "Cyanine". I've looked at various colors from that time period on line but trying to find a match is impossible. Can a good body shop somehow scan the color and come up with a match?

Your suggestions would be highly appreciated. Miss Scarlet is scheduled for four shows this summer.

So...regardless of what it was painted with, the best approach to matching is going to a paint jobber and have them use a device that will generate a code they can then use to mix new paint. I used this process before and it worked great, even with a metallic paint.

The devices are specific to paint brand (I.e. DuPont, etc.) and are usually provided by the manufacturer to their licensed distributors, which is why going to a paint store is more appropriate then a body shop.

S4Cruiser has the best idea. The devices he's referring to are scanners, like what Sherwin Williams has for house paints. My local auto supply store (not one of the national chain types but they might have them too) that most of the pro custom painters around here use, has one and they sell mostly PPG. Theirs is portable so they can scan your truck out in the parking lot. No need to take them a fender!

Pete

I recently did what S4 is recommending. The paint jobber seemed to think his computer paint analyzer came up with a very close match. I with hopefully spray my ambi door header with this paint soon.

Another possible option if you don’t want to spray paint using a HVLP gun. You could provide the code to a jobber who mixes SprayMax rattle can. I prefer the 2K epoxy, but once you activate the can it has a short pot life. Not sure what the pot life is if mixed in a basecoat paint. I imagine it’ll keep for quite a while. You’d just need to cover it with clear coat after laying down base coat.

I’ve bought Spraymax in various toyota paint codes from 66autocolor. They are very customer friendly and ship quick.

Thanks for the answers. Since we live out in the sticks, we'll probably have to go to Colorado Springs or Denver area.

Take your gas filler door in to the shop, easier than a fender...

to my eye it looks like Freeborne

Take your gas filler door in to the shop, easier than a fender...

Very nice 40. You should look for some correct wheel center caps though, especially if you are going to show it.

to my eye it looks like Freeborne

Pighead: I was thinking about the easiest piece to remove to scan and the filler door had come to mind.

MOTOV8R: Can you forward some pics of the correct centers and a suggestion of where to find? The wheels were purchased by second owner out of a Cruiser junkyard in Salida Colorado. Not sure where he got the centers.

Dieseler: I thought it was Freeborn as well until I ordered a paint pen from a reputable source. My color is noticeably darker.

Thanks for all the suggestions and answers. We're in Arizona for another month. Will let you know how this turns out in the spring.

Thanks for the answers. Since we live out in the sticks, we'll probably have to go to Colorado Springs or Denver area.
When you go to Colorado Springs or Denver, take off the gas door with you, and take it to a place that mixes automotive paint, they should be able to use that sample to mix up some touch up paint or make some rattle cans for you.

I had Dulux paints scan my fuel door, the computer spit out a colour suggestion that was 99.9% a match or so it said. Actually came out amazing.

For touch up you can get a co2 paint gun from Home Depot that works amazing for touch up. Atomizes the paint very well. Hopefully that link works. Make sure you test it before you use it that truck of yours lol. Nice 40.

Preval 9 oz. Complete Spray Gun-267 - The Home Depot

I had Dulux paints scan my fuel door, the computer spit out a colour suggestion that was 99.9% a match or so it said. Actually came out amazing.

For touch up you can get a co2 paint gun from Home Depot that works amazing for touch up. Atomizes the paint very well. Hopefully that link works. Make sure you test it before you use it that truck of yours lol. Nice 40.

Preval 9 oz. Complete Spray Gun-267 - The Home Depot

Now that is just darn interesting. Can't wait till I get home next month:bounce:

[QUOTE="MOTOV8R: Can you forward some pics of the correct centers and a suggestion of where to find? The wheels were purchased by second owner out of a Cruiser junkyard in Salida Colorado. Not sure where he got the centers.[/QUOTE]

Here is a photo of the correct rear hubcap for an '82 FJ40. The front looks the same but is larger and covers the hub (if equipped with a drive flange, not locking hubs). I am not sure where to find them now. I bought them 15 years ago and they were not easy to find...

DSC_0010-1.JPG

The fronts on the 82 I used to own looked like FJ60 front caps but black. The rears looked like the ones Otis posted. I searched around and found one for the spare tire and wheel, but that was 15 years ago.

You can find FJ60 centers (front and rear) have them blasted and painted and be closer to what should be on your 40. Then continue to look for the proper ones, if that matters to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom