Any Custom Color soft-top makers out there, still ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I have a 1976 FJ40 with a light gray soft top that we imported from Colombia. It underwent a frame-off restoration, but unfortunately, the current soft top is tearing. Does anyone here know of any manufacturers that offer light gray / custom color replacement tops?

PXL_20231119_194645282.jpg

I asked Julie with Dirtroad tops about color selection about a month ago and she had some light grey fabric but just enough left to possibly cover one more cruiser. I would contact her and ask. If she doesn’t pick up just text her.

Hello, I have a 1976 FJ40 with a light gray soft top that we imported from Colombia. It underwent a frame-off restoration, but unfortunately, the current soft top is tearing. Does anyone here know of any manufacturers that offer light gray / custom color replacement tops?

View attachment 3523996
I'd be interested in you're ripped top for a trail rig if you consider parting with it.

Yessir, I called and texted her new number that @Trollhole posted, and called her main line from FB, No dice. I guess she'

View attachment 3523996
What do you guys think if I can only go tan or black for the top from TROA / SOR? Which way would you go, I'm leaning towards the tan. I think the black might clash.

Last edited:
I my opinion the SOR top doesn’t look as cool as the one you have.. I’m not a fan of the window pattern they do. Looks more like a k-line reproduction than an OEM replica. I’d hold out till you can get one made by Julie. Or just have yours fixed.

@AdventureFJ Have you thought about approaching a company that repairs and makes boat tops? I’m sure they could use your top as a pattern? They use similar top material (can probably order any type/color) and they have clear plastic for the windows.

Honestly I still can’t believe someone hasn’t taken a top that was widely loved (like the Kayline or OCD) and make a copy of the pattern?!?!? Although from the pics it looks like exactly what TROA and Julie did with OCD?!?!? It seems there’s a lot of 40 owners who’d like to have a high quality top?

If I owned a boat shop repair shop I would buy one of each and make a copy to then sell and have 3 different types to offer. Especially since the Kayline and OCD are no longer offered.

Kayline
IMG_1596.jpeg

OCD
IMG_1599.png

TROA
IMG_1597.jpeg

SOR
IMG_1598.jpeg

Last edited:
@AdventureFJ Have you thought about approaching a company that repairs and makes boat tops? I’m sure they could use your top as a pattern? They use similar top material (can probably order any type/color) and they have clear plastic for the windows.

Honestly I still can’t believe someone hasn’t taken a top that was widely loved (like the Kayline or OCD) and make a copy of the pattern?!?!? Although from the pics it looks like exactly what TROA and Julie did with OCD?!?!? It seems there’s a lot of 40 owners who’d like to have a high quality top?

If I owned a boat shop repair shop I would buy one of each and make a copy to then sell and have 3 different types to offer. Especially since the Kayline and OCD are no longer offered.

Kayline
View attachment 3525250

OCD
View attachment 3525260

TROA
View attachment 3525261

SOR
View attachment 3525262
Solid post with the different photos. SOR top looks best IMO.

I like the parachute buckles on the SOR top, and how the split between the windows matches the roll bar. That’s where my clear is scratching. But not crazy about the square corners windows.

Great looking tops… I like the TROA top with the radius window corners.
I was going to mention boat canvas guys…. With a pattern from your own, they can get one made up easily. Had a few tops from boat guys in the past including a cover For my cabinet smoker.

How long did you have to wait for your top please?
I assume you are aware of the backlog of folks waiting for Dirt Road Tops, some on the order of magnitude of over a year delay?

I just dont want the 4 week lead time quoted above to give you the impression a brand new soft top from Dirt Road Tops is say 4-6 weeks out after placing a deposit…..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom