MISTERY COLOR/TRIM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody from Europe!!! I own a Portuguese 1980 BJ40 LK-KC. I'm about to repaint it in factory color but the exact color remains a mystery for me as the color/trim code is diferente in my car. I need your help to find out why it doesn't match with any color chart I found in the internet.

The code is COLOR/TRIM: R748 1515-6

It's supposed to be a dark blue like Cadet Blue T449 or Blue Met 884 or Dark Blue Poly #15410…
Thank you

chapa BJ42.png

BJ40LV-KC (BJ40-311806) was produced in Dec1980. This car was produced not in Japan (plant A11) for the other markets (Not US, Canada, Australia or Europe). The model was available until 09/1984. while other countries have 3B diesel after 08/1980.
My guess that it was produces in Portugal (Salvador Caetano factory in Ovar), but I am not 100% sure. Toyotas subsidiaries had fun to put their own plant codes (for example Z53) and their color/trim codes. R748 15015-6 it’s a mixture of a color and a trim.
There were several posts here about the color/trim/plant guessing. Unfortunately I didn’t find the correct answer (R748 is a beige color?)

A bit to read

Here is also a bit in Portuguese

Few similar “Vin misteries”
IMG_9135.jpeg

IMG_9131.jpeg
IMG_9133.png

Last edited:
BJ40LV-KC (BJ40-311806) was produced in Dec1980. This car was produced for the other markets (Not US, Canada, Australia or Europe). The model was available until 09/1984. while other countries have 3B diesel after 08/1980.
My guess that it was produces in Portugal (Salvador Caetano factory in Ovar), but I am not 100% sure. Toyotas subsidiaries had fun to put their own plant codes (for example Z53) and their color/trim codes. R748 15015-6 it’s a mixture of a color and a trim.
There were several posts here about the color/trim/plant guessing. Unfortunately I didn’t find the correct answer (R748 is a beige color?)

A bit to read

Here also a bit in Portuguese

Few similar “Vin misteries”
View attachment 3442784
View attachment 3442782View attachment 3442783
No actually is a dark blue. Something like petrol blue.

Is it possible that it was prepared as a Portuguese police / emergency services vehicle?
Something like that would get a special factory paint colour.
Does the vintage police blue look anything like it?

Hello,

I may be stating the obvious here.

The plant code indicates that your truck was not built in Japan.

Back in the day, different plants used different colors. Mainly because they had to work with what was available, or because they had to comply with regulations about local components, including paint colors.

A paint mixing shop may or may not have your color code on its database.

However, a good paint mixing shop may be able to mix a color that replicates yours as close as possible. You can give them a sample such as the gas tank door and let them work their magic.

If they are successful in replicating your color, make sure you get an extra couple of cans for touch ups or repairs.

Juan

Hello,

I may be stating the obvious here.

The plant code indicates that your truck was not built in Japan.

Back in the day, different plants used different colors. Mainly because they had to work with what was available, or because they had to comply with regulations about local components, including paint colors.

A paint mixing shop may or may not have your color code on its database.

However, a good paint mixing shop may be able to mix a color that replicates yours as close as possible. You can give them a sample such as the gas tank door and let them work their magic.

If they are successful in replicating your color, make sure you get an extra couple of cans for touch ups or repairs.

Juan
I've used Buzzweld here in the UK for exactly this. The colour matching and gloss level was a perfect match.
A 10mm flake of paint is enough to scan.

If you just need an approximation then there are colour scan apps you can download and compare to existing paint colours.

Just be careful when scanning - sun bleaching will have affected each panel differently so they're not a single colour anymore. You might need two or three shades to touch up the whole truck

Thankyou for the replies. I found interesting the police vehicle hypothesis. Getting the official color will be easy. As you said a profesional painting shop have his resources to match the color. It’s now more about curiosity and filling the blanks in my truck back history. I’ll ask for information to a portuguese contact. If i find out the answer i’ll repost it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom