Any Custom Color soft-top makers out there, still ?? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I assume you are aware of the backlog of folks waiting for dirt road tops, some on the order of magnitude of over a year delay?

I just dont want the 4 week lead time quoted above to give you the impression a brand new soft top from Dirt Road Tops is say 4-6 weeks out after placing a deposit…..

Yes, this was 3.5 years ago

I assume you are aware of the backlog of folks waiting for Dirt Road Tops, some on the order of magnitude of over a year delay?

I just dont want the 4 week lead time quoted above to give you the impression a brand new soft top from Dirt Road Tops is say 4-6 weeks out after placing a deposit…..

Yeah I realize she’s really far behind. I thought @igotta40 bought it more recently. I’m debating on getting one from her our just getting one from TROA. I currently don’t have the cruiser running yet anyway but waiting a year and possibly more is a long time.

Got my quote today from TROA and it is , what I think, reasonable. Not sure if it include the framework so I did email back with that question…

With shipping: 2 weeks

Got my quote today from TROA and it is , what I think, reasonable. Not sure if it include the framework so I did email back with that question…

With shipping: 2 weeks
What is the link to this maker? I wasn’t aware of it until this thread. Been out of the sort top loop for a while now but I have an old brittle Pakistan top that needs replacing someday. What is the cost from this maker? Thanks.

Hot DANG I just found the TROA top online and they do look very nice and a few hundred cheaper than the rest anyways. Who out here has one and can speak to the quality of them? I’ve had a kayline(cheaply made not impressed) and a paki top (can’t beat the price but hard to get and all the buckles rusted quick and canvas material didn’t age well).

@AdventureFJ
If I owned a boat shop repair shop I would buy one of each and make a copy to then sell and have 3 different types to offer. Especially since the Kayline and OCD are no longer offered.

Kayline
View attachment 3525250

I have three Kayline tops including the one pictured. Unlike the OCD tops they faired better over time. I know the fade was canvas but Toyota had switched to vinyl in the mid 1960. I have a brochure from the early 1960s for a Husky top offered by Toyota thru their dealers. Those were vinyl as well. Later Toyota offered offered Kayline tops as replacement for their factory bows.

A number of years ago a NOS factory soft top showed up on Mud. Not sure who ended up with it but that would be the one you want to use as a pattern.

Bumping this as I am considering doing a Soft top on my Fj40 restoration. I would like a white soft top, which no vendor currently makes from what I've found. But it seems Dirt Road Tops has a white color option.

What is the current status with Julie aka DRT? The thread linked above is not reassuring at all as it seems like she ghosted many members of the forum. From what I gather there has been long waits (1 year +), but no complaints about quality once it finally arrives. I also noticed their website is no longer active. https://www.dirtroadtops.com . @Trollhole can you chime in with info?

Last edited:
Bumping this as I am considering doing a Soft top on my Fj40 restoration. I would like a white soft top, which no vendor currently makes from what I've found. But it seems Dirt Road Tops has a white color option.

What is the current status with Julie aka DRT? The thread linked above is not reassuring at all as it seems like she ghosted many members of the forum. From what I gather there has been long waits (1 year +), but no complaints about quality once it finally arrives. I also noticed their website is no longer active. https://www.dirtroadtops.com . @Trollhole can you chime in with info?
She’s still making them and white is available. She says she’s 7-8months out but I believe it’s a lot more than that. I feel like if she actually told people how long she’s behind most would probably look elsewhere. Below is the color samples in PVC. She also has 3ply in the same colors. I also forgot to mention I texted her earlier today and also the last couple of days and gotten a response from her.

72789390733__95C109C6-F2CF-4034-A833-9FE68113D6D3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom