FJ60 - OME Lift Kit Quote - Too High? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I feel a little silly asking this cuz I feel like it should be obvious, but I just received a quote for parts and labor to install an OME lift kit on my 1985 FJ60 and I'm confused on the price of the parts. They seem high (twice as much?) as what I was expecting based on sites like cruisercorps.com.

Here's the quote for parts (sorry, I know formatting's not great). Can anyone tell me if that's in-line with what they've experienced?

Part Name - Quantity - Price each - Sub total
ARB OME FRONT SPRING - GAS - STOCK/LIGHT LOAD - 2.00 - $142 - $284
ARB OME NITROCHARGER SPORT SHOCK - 2.00 - $159 - $318
ARB OME SPRING BUSHING KIT - 2.00 - $26 - $52
ARB OME FRONT U BOLTS - 4.00 - $16 - $67
ARB OME STEERING DAMPER - 1.00 - $122 - $122
ARB FRONT GREASABLE SHACKLE KIT - 1.00 - $164 - $164
ARB OME GREASABLE PIN KIT - 1.00 - $70 - $70
TOTAL FRONT: $1,500

ARB OME REAR SPRING MEDIUM LOAD - 1.00 - $256 - $256
ARB OME REAR SPRING MEDIUM LOAD - 1.00 - $256 - $256
ARB OME NITROCHARGER SPORT SHOCK -PRE 1986 - 2.00 - $159 - $318
ARB OME SPRING BUSHING KIT- 2.00 - $26 - $52
ARB OME REAR U BOLT - 4.00 - $18 - $73
ARB OME REAR GREASABLE SHACKLE KIT - 1.00 - $179 - $179
ARB OME GREASABLE PIN KIT - 1.00 - $70 - $70
TOTAL REAR: $1,626

SHIPPING: $200
LABOR: $840

GRAND TOTAL: $3,455

When I price this out on cruisercorps (link), It comes out to $1,645 for total parts, front and rear (and free shipping although that's not my biggest concern). I haven't been able to come across anything else with parts priced that high. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance!

Too high. Average price is around $1700-1800 shipped. You can get it a bit lower if you shop around.

$840 in labor seems...to me...pretty high. They must be charging 8hrs @ 100/hr or so.

I paid exactly $616 for just ome heavy front and rear springs, shipped to my door. Then bought 2 boxes of energy bushings for 64 dollars on Amazon.

840 for labor? Hmmmmm that's probably in the ball park.

Last edited:
Wow that’s high... I haven’t priced it since I installed a full ome on my 60 a few years ago but it seems it was way less than that and $840 labor seems really high for a job that simple. I’d call Kurt at cruiser outfitters and get him to quote ya.

Maybe the shop planned to try and hammer your old bushings out lol. That would take a long time.

Torch is boss for bushings.

I've seen the "deluxe" kit for about $1500 before shipping and comes with

• Basic Kit includes:

• 2 Front OME leaf springs
  • 2 Rear OME leaf springs
  • 2 Front OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks
  • 2 Rear OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks
  • 16 OME Spring Bushings
    Deluxe Kit includes everything in the Basic kit PLUS:

• 1 OME Steering Damper
  • 8 OME U-bolts
  • 8 additional OME Spring Bushings
  • 4 OME Anti-inversion shackles
  • 4 OME Greaseable spring pins
Add shipping cost...could be $100-$200 given weight.

$1000 for labor if your truck is a rusty nightmare and if that includes a new alignment that could be realistic and you would still roll up about $800 less than your quote.

Last year I purchased a OME Medium setup that included everything I needed (same ‘delux’ setup that Cruiser Outfitters offers) from my local shop for $1600. They quoted about the same $800-$900 for instal. I just installed it a few weeks ago and though I’m glad I did the job myself, there were a few times I cursed myself for not having them do it for me. It’s a rather straightforward job but there were moments when I wanted to punch a hole the wall.

Last edited:
Sweet, thanks everyone!

I called them back, they said those prices were straight from ARB and thought maybe those other sites are getting some sort of bulk pricing...hmm

I'm okay with the labor price simply because I wouldn't be surprised if the ol' rust bucket puts up a fight. I've started soaking everything in PB Blaster anyway (fingers crossed). I'd love to do it myself, but honestly a job like that scares me a little. Not to mention I probably only have half the tools and not enough time.

Anyway, I'll post pictures when she's all finished! This has been on my wish list for a while and I'm super stoked.

I paid exactly $616 for just ome heavy front and rear springs, shipped to my door. Then bought 2 boxes of energy bushings for 64 dollars on Amazon.

840 for labor? Hmmmmm that's probably in the ball park.

Wow where? Sounds like a bargain

Wow where? Sounds like a bargain

Ebay baby! Shipping was crazy fast too, 72 hrs flat. Poor FedEx guy...

Screenshot_20180122-214346.jpg

Company called trendsauto, some bad reviews but i had a very good experience. They are the real deal.

Sweet, thanks everyone!

I called them back, they said those prices were straight from ARB and thought maybe those other sites are getting some sort of bulk pricing...hmm

I'm okay with the labor price simply because I wouldn't be surprised if the ol' rust bucket puts up a fight. I've started soaking everything in PB Blaster anyway (fingers crossed). I'd love to do it myself, but honestly a job like that scares me a little. Not to mention I probably only have half the tools and not enough time.

Anyway, I'll post pictures when she's all finished! This has been on my wish list for a while and I'm super stoked.

Agreed the price is out there.

If you do it yourself and cannot get any bushings out try using a punch on the pin and a hammer.
Another option to loosen them up is it drill them around the pin, most times it breaks the seal just enough to hammer them out.

Had to do two on mine and the suspension had been done once.

Tools needed.
Hammer, punch (maybe a drill and bits as mentioned above)
Sockets
Ratchet ( and or a breaker bar or a pipe for leverage)
Wrenches
Torque wrench (proper torque is important)
4 jack stands 2 for the frame and 2 for the axles (watch the rear as it may twist down)
Grease gun.

A grinder with a cut off wheel can help in removing old u-bolts.

A little of your time.

I did mine in a 2 car garage over a weekend.

Being leaf sprung, this job is super easy and out of 10 (10 being the hardest) I would rate it a 4 manybe 5 for stubborn bolts.

Last edited:
You may want to look for another shop for the install. After quoting you the pricing for the OME I'd be skeptical about them. My local shop ordered straight from ARB also.

There's no way i was going to d!ck around hammering or drilling or asking pretty please for the bushings to jump out of their homes.

Heat them bad boys up(not red hot) and they slide right out with much less hammering.

I don't know where you are at. Make an identical list with the other vendors and compare what you are
getting. Shops will charge 6-8 hrs cause they do it right away and they have all the tools and usually it's just
one guy going from front to back. That shop charge isn't entirely out of line.
Kurt @cruiseroutfit is really good at putting together what you need. If you read his site he has a build sheet
you email to him for your specific truck and that way he knows what you want. I doubt very much you will
find better prices.

I did mine just a month ago...OME 2" greasable and paid around $1700. I had them shipped to the shop I work with and they charged $600 flat to install all of it, so it was $2300 installed on an 83 FJ60
FJ60Lift.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom