Blue fan clutch mod...Thread has gone to hell, read at your own risk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my modified clutch and installed it. Wow, I wish I had done this when I purchased my 1st blue hub. 80 owners without a scan gauge, RT modified or aftermarket where you can actually watch the temps can't appreciate the results. I used a 300 mile round trip run to test it, over 2 passes. Don't have a scan gauge, but from my RT modified temp gauge there is a noticable difference. Although it's not summer, it runs cooler, even idling. I'm estimating 10 to 15 degrees & faster recovery - that is back to normal after a grade. I think it's 15k clutch fluid that's installed, isn't it? That, plus setting the temp, truely makes a difference. I may have put in too heavy of clutch fluid on my original blue hub. I think I estimated around 25k - it was a mix of something like 30k and 15k. There was a formula and chart IIRC - anyway, my fluid plus not setting temp did not perform as well as this Wit's end blue hub clutch. This gives me back more confidence - like I had before with the OEM gauge, that only moved when you were already overheating...lol

Thank you Rick! Your skills are appreciated!

Thank you Joey for Wit's end!

Thank you both for making this available to us 80 owners. I highly recommend this to any FZJ-80 owner that's replacing their fan clutch.

i have a Landtank blue clutch i'd be willing to part with now as well as the LS wont use it ;)

I went back to the 1st few pages of this thread to review and somehow it makes more sense. Hope to some time soon open up my original blue clutch (which I got in 2010) and see how far out of adjustment it is. Not a big priority, but I'd like to see and can report back for "inquiring minds"...lol

i
I just ran into overheating issues, I'll take that clutch off your hands.

i have a line of up of people waiting for buy it, unless you're local youll be about 4th in line, just waiting for me to get home to get shipping quotes to finalize the price

I went back to the 1st few pages of this thread to review and somehow it makes more sense. Hope to some time soon open up my original blue clutch (which I got in 2010) and see how far out of adjustment it is. Not a big priority, but I'd like to see and can report back for "inquiring minds"...lol
Dug up an old thread 'cause it seemed to be pertinent and found in post #56 that I'd already checked timing - concluded that it was set (by manufacturer) around 83*. Found my bottles of silicone fluid: one 10K bottle, one 30K bottle and a bottle that was left from mixing the two and what my calculations were from this calculator which happened to be 28K :eek:..... Hope today to bust clutch open and find some answers plus see what 7 yrs of use looks like.

Dug up an old thread 'cause it seemed to be pertinent and found in post #56 that I'd already checked timing - concluded that it was set (by manufacturer) around 83*. Found my bottles of silicone fluid: one 10K bottle, one 30K bottle and a bottle that was left from mixing the two and what my calculations were from this calculator which happened to be 28K :eek:..... Hope today to bust clutch open and find some answers plus see what 7 yrs of use looks like.

7 years of use should have NO visible signs of use. Lots of folks around here run 30,000 - 40,000 CST silicone fluid in the blue clutch. Results in lots of start up roar and lots of cooling!

Outside & spring still in good shape:

IMG_1516.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

Interior looked good - fluid still looked clean, but thick...lol

Screw positions before adjustment:
IMG_1520 B4.JPG

Screw position after adjustment:
IMG_1522 after (1).JPG

Draining tonight. When starting adjustment, valve had not moved even at 99*. Must have been way off from Toyota...or somehow shifted from original check of setting:

IMG_1521.JPG

Last edited:
A “new” clutch to look out for. We did HJ60’s fan clutch on his ‘94 FZJ80. It has a black hub, but full cooling fins like an Aisin and still had some drive, so we pulled it instead of ordering a new blue hub. Sure enough it is an Aisin, with a black painted hub, haven't seen this before. Have no history on it, so no idea where it came from, how old it is, etc.
View attachment 243907View attachment 243908View attachment 243909
Hey @theferg very good info on this thread! has helped me a lot. I took mine out (im in south america) and the fluid was black and hard! put some 10.000 cst in it but cant understand how to set it to the 50% point on the holes.

Im guessing this unit is calibrated diferently than the new ones?.

I also just put 36ml in it, had not seen this post and didnt see it hold more. I took a very very good clean to it with WD40 and took it all apart since the stuff was black and hard, no more fluid inside. There were only about 10ml of silicone that looked more like old engine oil.

Thanks a lot men!

Im in Australia and about to order the blue fan clutch from these guys ....

80 Series 1FZ-FE Modified OEM Toyota Blue Fan Clutch

Im assuming it comes pre oiled and preset ... ready to fit .... is this correct?

Thanx lads

Its a miracle! ..... what a difference

with a packed vehicle and towing with the fully loaded (including full water tank) off road camper trailer over the ranges , highway , around town , back roads , dirt tracks etc and AC on most of the time...... temp stayed below half the whole time and didnt move ..... last trip I overheated at least 10 times pulling the load over the mountains .... its all about the air flow!

thanx to NLXTACY :grinpimp:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Inside the design looks the same as my early blue hub. Larger reservoir, boot type “3 speed” valve and extra shearing area/grooves. These are the most powerful clutches that I have seen and this one didn’t disappoint. We put 13,000 fluid and it moves major air. If you have one of these clutches, hang onto it or send it to someone who can use it. They are great clutches and probably no longer available.

Lately I have saved and measured the fluid drained from two blue hubs (40 & 42ml) and this black hub 51ml. This number is what could be removed from the pan, there was some lost in rags, residue in the pan, clutch, etc. I have been putting 50ml in the new type and we put 55ml in HJ60’s black hub, my guess is the older design clutch could hold 60ml+ and still cycle correctly.
View attachment 243910View attachment 243911

Hello @landtank I happend to have this clutch, i just filled it up and installed it with 10k cst, but it looks like baybe it was not enoguht. I put 35ml in.

I had not seen this that they are putting 50ml in it.

So it took it out for a drive and when i turned the car off after a 10 min drive in the city (Medellin, COLOMBIA) the fan went spining with no resistentance (not engaged)

Also, i cant figure out how to make it to be center at 95 degrees. it seems like i would need more adjustment than what the clutch is giving me.

it was basically at the center when i opened it up and the fluid inside was more like an old black paste than silicone.

in any case, if you have any info is this tipe clutch need more fluid or if the adjustement is different please let me know!
Inside the design looks the same as my early blue hub. Larger reservoir, boot type “3 speed” valve and extra shearing area/grooves. These are the most powerful clutches that I have seen and this one didn’t disappoint. We put 13,000 fluid and it moves major air. If you have one of these clutches, hang onto it or send it to someone who can use it. They are great clutches and probably no longer available.

Lately I have saved and measured the fluid drained from two blue hubs (40 & 42ml) and this black hub 51ml. This number is what could be removed from the pan, there was some lost in rags, residue in the pan, clutch, etc. I have been putting 50ml in the new type and we put 55ml in HJ60’s black hub, my guess is the older design clutch could hold 60ml+ and still cycle correctly.
View attachment 243910View attachment 243911

Hello everyone!

need a bit of help

So i have the old type clutch, (images i took from this same post) and i have 2 questions.

in mine, the silicone was so so bad that it was a past and i had to take it all out and disassemble everiting. WD40 over night and drain.

now i put 35ml 10.000 CST in it.

Took the car for a drive 10 min and when i turned it off the fan was completely disengaged. just spinning free.

my question is @landtank and anyone that can help. if it is true that this clutch that i have takes 50ml instead of 35 and how can i adjust the 95degrees on this one? i put in the water at 95 C suspended in the middle heald from the sides by plastic cups in the water so that it was only surrounded by water and not touching the bottom of the pan. seems like i would need more adjustment but just kept it in the middle as it was originally

Thank you all for the time and the great thread.

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 9.38.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 9.43.41 PM.jpg

How hot was the motor, if there wasn't need, the clutch shouldn't be engaged. Fan need is fully dependent on the temp of the airflow out of the coolers.

OK i had a problem of O Ring too big it just didnt fit no mater what i did, a week in the frozen fish department didnt help cleaning the metal said with Zipo fluid didnt help
I would like to thank @Tools R Us for the help and giving me Courage to do this fix so i could compleat the mod
tools send me this video

So me and Jeffry the FAT CAT just went a did it
will it hold? time will tell

Photo 02-05-2018, 6 50 35.jpg
Photo 02-05-2018, 6 50 49.jpg
Photo 02-05-2018, 6 53 23.jpg
Photo 02-05-2018, 7 14 01.jpg

Is there a fan clutch (blue one?) I can buy that's ready to be installed or do I have to take it apart and clock the spring, etc. for best results?

Forgive me for asking questions that have already been covered ITT but I don't have time to wade through 45 pages.

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom