FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look at that dash! Cool! Yes, a HEAT wave.
Now for tech, were you revving at a refuel stop, (3500 rpm, 0 mph) making the fan clutch pull some hot air?
oh and my Tach is on the wrong setting. I need to adjust it to the inline 6 setting. I tried a few times but never got it right. It reads pretty much double. Again it never really bothered me that much and I have gotten used to it. I do need to pull the Tach and reset it though.

oh and my Tach is on the wrong setting. I need to adjust it to the inline 6 setting. I tried a few times but never got it right. It reads pretty much double. Again it never really bothered me that much and I have gotten used to it. I do need to pull the Tach and reset it though.

The unique things we do. 0 miles forever!
I rebuilt my original odometer and reset it to 0, keeping track of the prior number... Somewhere.:grinpimp:

The unique things we do. 0 miles forever!
I rebuilt my original odometer and reset it to 0, keeping track of the prior number... Somewhere.:grinpimp:
I have never been concerned with mileage on 40s they run forever anyways. As long as you change the oil every now and then they won't die. Especially if you run diesel oil in them. I have been running Rotella 15 40 in mine for 10 years. The old engines like the extra zinc.

Well, I said I'd be there and I was - - pulled into the parking lot in back at 11:55. No one there, so parked across the street where I could spot anyone coming down Avenida de Mesilla. Watched the brewery crew put out the umbrellas in the patio (they don't open until 12:30). Watched a '66 Mustang and a '56 Bel Air go past. Around 12:20 my poor suffering wife couldn't take the heat any longer (Zeke was in summer mode with bikini top) and had to move on. Damn, was looking forward to buying the first round - sorry you missed me!:cheers:

had a great time meeting @AZOKIE and @decavo today. Went 340 miles both ways so close to 700 total. The 40 ran well but my oil pan gasket that I replaced a few weeks ago is leaking again. I'll have to do it right next time. Lol. It was a cool drive. With good scenery. Going through the mountains was challenging but as always the fj40 didn't let me down.

View attachment 1493256

View attachment 1493257
Looks like another great hand-off!

Good to see the Organ Mountains in these two photos, IMO they're the most photogenic desert mountains I've ever seen. And the views from the top are great. Excellent rock climbing. On a historical note, most of the climbing routes were established by the German rocket scientists who came to work at White Sands Missile Range in the 1940s and 1950s. The Organ Mountains and much of the surrounding area is part of one of the nation's newest national mounuments, Organ Mountains - Desert Peaks National Monument Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument.

I have never been concerned with mileage on 40s they run forever anyways. As long as you change the oil every now and then they won't die. Especially if you run diesel oil in them. I have been running Rotella 15 40 in mine for 10 years. The old engines like the extra zinc.

Exactly!

Sorry you missed us @LasCrucer. Our meet was Sat. Would like to have met you. Maybe one of these batons wiil come around again in a couple of years If it does I will be one of the volunteers to join

Well that was the perfect ending for a f--ked up week. I had to work on the third, got the fourth off, and after that I wasn't sure WHAT day it was :confused:
Mebbe next time!:steer:

Looks like another great hand-off!

Good to see the Organ Mountains in these two photos, IMO they're the most photogenic desert mountains I've ever seen. And the views from the top are great. Excellent rock climbing. On a historical note, most of the climbing routes were established by the German rocket scientists who came to work at White Sands Missile Range in the 1940s and 1950s. The Organ Mountains and much of the surrounding area is part of one of the nation's newest national mounuments, Organ Mountains - Desert Peaks National Monument Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument.
A trash dump for a national monument... If you hike and sight see you will see plenty of trash and human ruin.... This area is a poor excuse for a national landmark... Take it from someone she lives here... That also closed down most wheeling and parts of the chilli challenge.... Pit is not even a contiguous chunk of land.... Sorry for getting on my soap box....

A trash dump for a national monument... If you hike and sight see you will see plenty of trash and human ruin.... This area is a poor excuse for a national landmark... Take it from someone she lives here... That also closed down most wheeling and parts of the chilli challenge.... Pit is not even a contiguous chunk of land.... Sorry for getting on my soap box....
It sounds like it's gotten really bad since I was last there. It wasn't too bad on my last climbing trip, but that's been quite a few years now. Last time I was up there I took my brother, a smoker who lives at sea level, on a hike up to the top of the Rabbit Ears Plateau. I thought he was going to die!

@Reznugget and I have tentatively scheduled a meet and hand-off of the briefcase in Pagosa Springs (or Durango) the weekend of July 22 - 23. I'll probably take the back roads up through the Jemez Mountains above town, then through the Carson National Forest along/near the Continental Divide into southern Colorado. There's some beautiful scenery along the way, and a lot of evidence of the narrow gauge D&RGW line from Alamosa to Durango, which ran under steam power until 1966. Some of the line was preserved by the States of Colorado and New Mexico and is operated during the tourist season from Antonito, Colorado to Chama, New Mexico Home - Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. They have run special rotary snowplow trains in the winter, that'll have to wait until later.

And Washington State?

And Eastern Oregon/Western Idaho?

I ended up replacing my radiator with a new Toyota radiator
THANK YOU Camelback Toyota. (Cruiser friendly dealer). Ordered on Fri and delivered to my house on Wed. Thanks Steve H
Tentative plans for the baton on the S route are for @SOAZtim and me to meet in Tucson on Sat the 8th of Aug. At this point we are planning to crash a gathering of the Tuscon Copper State Cruisers to do the hand off. From there I guess the potential baton carriers in western Az and S Cali need to be in touch with @SOAZtim for the future travel. Terry

Sorry, 5th of August. Need to habe correct date for all of you that want to come see this historic and epic event.
Dust off your 40s and come on down
Info on Copper State Cruiser site. I always wanted to go to their meets but moved before they started up in Tucson again

I'll get into the Phoenix area the night of August 9th . . . keep me posted

Stickers and dumdums in this one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom