Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CARGO TOTES

Redid my little system for carrying cargo in the truck. It's always just my wife and I so I currently have no need for the 2nd row seats. Picked up 4 Brute totes and strapped them to the floor using existing brackets, while adding some new brackets up front.

IMAG2155_zps194051b6.jpg

picsay-1382124009_zps9cdff1fc.jpg

SEAT COVERS

My leather is in bad shape and needed help. As much as I'd love a new leather kit from Shane, that's not happening. I can't see myself spending that much on making the interior look pretty. So these Cabelas Trail Gear seat covers for $19 each were just right.

picsay-1382151293_zpsce6c0ea3.jpg

WATER CAN FAUCET

What good is a fancy mil-spec water can if it's not easy to get the water out right? Picked up a Valterra RP800 Rocket hand pump and drilled a hole in the can's lid. Used a small piece of tubing on the inside to reach the bottom of the can. It works great! Each pump gives you a nice little stream of water.

IMAG2262_zpse45b33f6.jpg

that is a nice mod to the water jerry can! very impressive!

A wise man once told me "chrome don't get you home" but I do think it can get you water ;)

that is a nice mod to the water jerry can! very impressive!

Thanks! It's a cool little mod, but I can't take credit for it. Got the idea from a thread over on Expedition Portal :)

A wise man once told me "chrome don't get you home" but I do think it can get you water ;)

Hahah! It is a bit too shiny. Shame Amazon didn't sell the black model. I'll have to put some Monstaliner over it.

I'm sold on those seat covers. They don't look too bad and can probably double as a kayak cover.

Awesome build!! I'm impressed with the work you've done on this thing! :clap:

Really liking that bumper also. Might have to get one myself.

Last edited:
the monstaliner job looks awesome! that being said, i will say that it looks completely different from the sans panties sample square that i got from magnet. makes me pretty nervous.

the monstaliner job looks awesome! that being said, i will say that it looks completely different from the sans panties sample square that i got from magnet. makes me pretty nervous.

All of those color chips will play tricks on you based on the lighting. You need to view them in all lights at different angles to get a better idea. Sometimes my truck looks green, sometimes yellow.

Thanks for the feedback guys!!

SWAY BAR BUSHINGS

It was time to upgrade the dying OEM bushings so I decided to go with some beefier units by Energy Suspension. They have a zerk fitting on the outside so they are easy to service and maintain. Replaced all the hardware with stainless bolts because IH8RUST. Let's see if they make a difference on the road.

Front, 1 1/8", part #9.5170R

IMAG2308_1_zpsc9738f97.jpg

Rear, 1", part #9.5161R

IMAG2307_1_zps088d2445.jpg

GEARS

Time to start getting ready for 37s! Gears won't be installed for a while as I still need to buy the install kits then save up the cash for labor. So I started off by picking up my Nitro 5.29 R&Ps and the 29-spline pinion flange for the front.

Part numbers:
- Front: T8R-529R-NG
- Rear: TLC-529-NG
- Flange: YOKTOYFITKIT-29

IMAG2303_1_zps197b0ad7.jpg

Did you do sway bar connecting rod bushings?

Did you do sway bar connecting rod bushings?
No not yet, but I do want to. Gotta figure out and find the part numbers on their site. I ordered these on a whim since another member posted the Amazon links. It was hard not to :)

I'm looking at that other post right now ;)

SNORKEL

Just finished installing my cheap knock-off snorkel which I picked up on Amazon for about $130ish shipped. The template is worthless and the fit/finish isn't perfect but let's face it, it's a black plastic tube. Not paying $400+ for the name brand version. Think I might paint it body color down the road...

ForumRunner_20131110_133206.jpg

Last edited:
Your truck looks great, man! Really like the copper(?) color on the wheels. Looks really good with the green. Hopefully, my truck will get there one of these days!:clap:

Your truck looks great, man! Really like the copper(?) color on the wheels. Looks really good with the green. Hopefully, my truck will get there one of these days!:clap:

Just read this thread front to back. Great job!

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Got a small new toy for the 80, convinced the wife to let me get my Xmas gift early :cool: Finally bit the bullet and got me a good quality ice chest as I was fed up the cheap ice chests not being able to hold ice well. Would love to have a nice 12v fridge but I just can't bring myself to spend $1k on one, maybe years down the road.

Ended up going with the Pelican 65qt cooler which beat out the Yeti and Engel in melt tests, keeping ice for 13 days. Impressive! This thing is built like a freaking tank, and weighs as much as one too.

Turns out my buddy knows a Pelican dealer so I was able to get it for way less than retail. Too good to pass up. 4 of us ended up ordering the same cooler. Now I need to figure out a drawer slide system cause this thing will be heavy when it's loaded.

IMAG2368_1_zps8d8aa6f0.jpg

How are you liking the seat covers? My leather is pretty bad too... I always feel like seat covers will be loose fitting and I'll end up squirming around in my seat the whole time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom