Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good. Any reason why you just didn't wait to do the knuckle rebuild while it's getting geared? I'm a big fan of DIY (as you know) but just bundled all that labor together and had someone else do it when they were re-gearing my 3rds

Great thread, you've put alot of work into your 80, thats half the fun I guess.
When you get a fridge you'll be laughin, can't beat em I reckon and saves stuffing around and running out of ice while out bush.
Expensive yes, but its a once off purchace and when you have one you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

Great read mate, go the 80's.

Great work!! I always make it over here to see what you've come up with lately. And it's all in perty colors, too!!:D

I wanted to know more about those seat covers. Are they better for a warm-weather rig? It's currently 20 degrees out and I need covers to keep my wallet from getting lost in the seat every time I sit down, but would like to spend less than $200 on fake sheep if I can help it.

Thanks!

Ditto on the covers! They look pretty resilient and like they'd fit pretty tight.

How are you liking the seat covers? My leather is pretty bad too... I always feel like seat covers will be loose fitting and I'll end up squirming around in my seat the whole time?

Sorry I can't multi quote using the app so I'll just answer the questions about the seat covers here. The seat covers are nice, but you need to keep in mind they're cheap universal covers. They don't fit tight and snug and they will slide around a bit. The material seems pretty durable though. As for warm and cold weather, I haven't used them enough to know how they'll do but I don't see them feeling much different than OEM seats when it comes to temp.

All in all, I think these are the best option for a dirt cheap universal seat cover. If you want something that fits snug with no loose extra material, you might have to spend a couple hundred for the exact fit covers that others have bought.

Looking good. Any reason why you just didn't wait to do the knuckle rebuild while it's getting geared? I'm a big fan of DIY (as you know) but just bundled all that labor together and had someone else do it when they were re-gearing my 3rds

Well two reasons actually. When I get it regeared I'll be doing all the removal myself. So I'll just be bringing the thirds to the shop to save on labor. So I'd be doing it myself anyways. And during the last trip when I lost a few knuckle studs I figured my axle seals were shot anyways so I just went ahead and did the full rebuild. The PO had given me half a rebuild kit so I just had to buy the remaining parts from Cruiser Outfitters.

Great thread, you've put alot of work into your 80, thats half the fun I guess.
When you get a fridge you'll be laughin, can't beat em I reckon and saves stuffing around and running out of ice while out bush.
Expensive yes, but its a once off purchace and when you have one you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

Great read mate, go the 80's.

Thanks! And I know you're right. I wish I could justify buying a fridge but not right now. We usually take only 2-3 day trips so a good ice chest should be fine for now. And there's still too many other things I want to do, like 37s!! :)

Great build thread! Check out ARB fridges. I have the 50qt. and I LOVE it!!! Gotta have cold beer

I think I know a guy who works for Pelican - I've never asked if he can get me a deal, but this one might be worth owing a favor.

Posted via IH8MUD app

I think I know a guy who works for Pelican - I've never asked if he can get me a deal, but this one might be worth owing a favor.

Posted via IH8MUD app

I'm in!! I rock Pelicans everywhere if I can. We used the hell out of them in the military and jcardona1 certainly knows why!!

I want one!

SPEAKERS

Thanks to all the informative threads here on MUD about speaker upgrades I decided it was time to do something about my crappy factory speakers which sounded like they were made of cardboard. So far I only did the front doors but I'll be doing the rest shortly. Audio upgrades is not something I'm too concerned with so spending money on this is not high on the priority list.

Ordered the Pioneer TS-G1644Rs on Amazon for $27 shipped. Sound quality is great for such a low cost speaker. Huge improvement over the OEM garbage. I'm sure it will sound WAY better once I replace all the factory speakers.

Cut off the factory connector and soldered it on to the new speakers

IMAG2384_1_zps324c17ec.jpg

I know folks have had fitment issues because the window rail sits right behind the opening. Some have had to use spacers to push the speaker out a bit. On my '96, the magnet is touching the window rail but I was still able to bolt everything up using the factory screws and no spacers. It's a tight fit, but here's proof that it works. YMMV

IMAG2386_1_zps271a48d5.jpg

And the POS factory speakers that have deteriorated away. You should not be able to see the speaker grill from this side, that's all the missing foam! No wonder it sounded like crap.

IMAG2387_1_zpsa5d18d65.jpg

All in all, great way to blow $27 and about an hour of your time :beer:

Glad to see it was easy....I have all four speakers on my Amazon wish list for Xmas. Hopefully my kids get them for me!

^ Sure thing! I think I will try to run these same speakers in the rear doors. It will involve a bit of cutting though since the stock speakers are 4". I think most guys use the TS-G1043R for the rear doors...

You can add a small spacer also and it will clear. You can pick them up online or stereo places for $5

You dont like being far away from a bottle opener!!!! one on the back and one on the front! Love it Best mod ive seen love it!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom