Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys! I love the color too. Much better than OD Green. Not even sure why they call it green. It looks brown at all angles. This color is quite brown too. Didn't look exactly like the color chip I received but it still looks great.

Here's another pic after porting the front end together. Front bumper is two-toned with Monstaliner on the bottom half.

One I finish spray painting the rear bumper swingouts I'll get some high res pics!

ForumRunner_20130903_182229.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread, Jose. I have subscribed as well!!

Looks great! Ain't the prep work a mutha???

MONSTALINER!!!!!!!!!!

As promised, here's the high-res pics after she's officially DONE!

Since I'm sure folks will want to know, here's a list of tips and things you should keep in mind if you decide to line your truck.

- Prep, prep, prep. Don't try to save time here. Make sure the surface is completely clean and use lots of MEK
- MEK is no joke. Even using it outdoors will get you light-headed. This is a seriously nasty solvent. Use common sense.
- Make sure you have lots of light. Get some big halogen shop lights and aim them at the panel you're painting.
- You can't take your time while rolling. This stuff sets up FAST, even on a day that was in the 80s. By the end of the gallon it was like painting with oatmeal.
- 2 gallons is BARELY enough to do the entire exterior on an 80. I barely had enough to do a thick 2nd coat on the passenger side so the texture isn't as nice as the driver side.
- Buy lots of extra rollers. I went through 7 of them. As the paint sets, it gets thick and starts to tear off chunks of the foam while rolling.
- Have a set of tweezers ready to pick crap out of the paint.
- This stuff is messy, be ready for it ahead of time. Lots of plastic drop clothes and gloves.
- Having a helper is a good idea to remove the masking tape AS SOON as the 2nd coat is done. Otherwise it will set up and make it more difficult to remove after you're done with the whole truck.
- If you have the space and the tools, definitely spray this stuff on. Would make your life a whole lot easier. Rolling isn't hard, just very time consuming.
- Remove all the parts you can instead of masking them off. Takes more time, but gives a much cleaner look. Door handles for example. Pain in the ass to remove but I'm glad I did since I was able to separate the piece of black trim from the rest of the paint.

Now on to the pics! I used Rustoleum "Hammered Rosemary" for the bumpers, door handles and mirror base. I will mostly likely end up Monstalining the bumpers over in Desert Sand since I'm sure the spray paint won't last. But that's for another day!

You probably won't ever see her looking this cleaning ever again so enjoy it while you can :flipoff2:

9703750315_dc7707cf6b_h.jpg

9706986112_f54bbae440_h.jpg

9706985902_418d624352_h.jpg

9703749029_9e7929c13a_h.jpg

9703748707_51e5aa15b3_h.jpg

9703748127_e168dcf85f_h.jpg

9703747759_ad5f4e7b45_h.jpg

9706983208_f93ada3f9b_h.jpg

9706982710_7941212a1a_h.jpg

9703745981_6a8ed79a41_h.jpg

9703745639_7d02b5979b_h.jpg

9706981270_bc0f4585ca_h.jpg

Great job thanks for sharing.

Insanity!!! :D:mad:

Very Nice work.... I just found this post today, it was nice reading and seeing all of its phases.... No doubt about it this is something you should be very proud of! Congrats!!!

clear side markers and corners ?

Jose - That looks totally off the hook in a great way. What my cruiser wants to be when it grows up. Nice job!!

Like the touch you added to sean's bumper, not to mention the :cool: front AOE

Great job thanks for sharing.

Insanity!!! :D:mad:

Very Nice work.... I just found this post today, it was nice reading and seeing all of its phases.... No doubt about it this is something you should be very proud of! Congrats!!!

bout the sexiest thing on earth

Thanks guys! Can't wait to hit the trails again and have some even cooler pics to share :bounce:

clear side markers and corners ?

Nah, I'm not a fan of clear lights. I love the stock amber color :)

Saweeet!
Glad ya got it done. Now go put some scratches on it to make it look even betta!

Thanks everyone!

Yesterday I installed a 12" 72w LED light bar where the second set of round lights used to be. Nothing fancy, just a Chinabrand from fleaBay. This thing is bright!

picsay-1379080100_zps8816fb99.jpg

IMAG2090_zpsdf6ee838.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom