Builds '78 Refreshtoration, what next? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Actually yes I would be interested in a few more pictures especially one showing how the hoop connects to the side of the frame rail. Still trying to figure out how to mount a shock in that location and can use as many examples as I can find to figure out what's going to work.

It may not be the best way but it's the only solution I've seen so far that makes sense to me.

Thanks!
Here are some more pics. I think a smog pump bracket is likely the best way to do the PS setup. I think it was @cruisermatt who identified my setup as coming from a tercel wagon. It works, but has historically had a horrible whine because the F.5 had one wide and one narrow pulley on the Harmonic Balancer. I just swapped in a 2F HB, which goes along well with all the other 2F parts on here. Fingers crossed that there is no whine when it's all back together again.

One flaw I do see in my setup: the way they bolted through the side of the frame rail, as that just gets compressed when you tighten the bolt unless you fill the void inside somehow.

51B2559E-A7AE-48A2-8105-25A3C1F54AFD.jpeg

36B35443-ACE2-4F0C-BD9D-322664965846.jpeg

DC88063D-2098-490D-AA4F-D20C45899352.jpeg

Great work so far. Im doing a refreshtoration on a 78 mustard fj40 as well. It's always motivating to see what everyone else has done!
I've been following yours too actually, you had me at '78 Mustard ;). If you need any help at all, reach out. Looks like you're making great progress so far though.

it's best to sleeve those holes in the frame to avoid that issue. That is definitely a FJ60 box. Possibly a FJ60 pump too

Anyone have an idea where I can find the "union" that goes from fuel pump to hard line? I searched the webs and didn't find anything, thought I'd ask before I post something in the classifieds. I've got everything else.
1678822289532.png

Here are some more pics. I think a smog pump bracket is likely the best way to do the PS setup. I think it was @cruisermatt who identified my setup as coming from a tercel wagon. It works, but has historically had a horrible whine because the F.5 had one wide and one narrow pulley on the Harmonic Balancer. I just swapped in a 2F HB, which goes along well with all the other 2F parts on here. Fingers crossed that there is no whine when it's all back together again.

One flaw I do see in my setup: the way they bolted through the side of the frame rail, as that just gets compressed when you tighten the bolt unless you fill the void inside somehow.

View attachment 3271991

View attachment 3271992

View attachment 3271994
Thanks for the shock hoop pictures, really helps me see how it bisects the fender mounting points. Guess I'll also look at the F250 shock towers as an option.

I had sleeves welded into the frame for the steering box during the frame off, you could probably insert thick wall tube fit inside the frame around the bolts without welding if it starts compressing. Your box and pump reservoir are definitely FJ60.

Thanks for the shock hoop pictures, really helps me see how it bisects the fender mounting points. Guess I'll also look at the F250 shock towers as an option.

I had sleeves welded into the frame for the steering box during the frame off, you could probably insert thick wall tube fit inside the frame around the bolts without welding if it starts compressing. Your box and pump reservoir are definitely FJ60.
Yeah, I was thinking I'll find some tube to stick in there, and thanks for the extra confirmation on the FJ60. I like that a lot more than a Tercel Wagon!!

Making steady progress and feeling that itch to get it back on the road with the salt gone now. Finally got/made a PS adjuster arm that will work and not be as complicated as the one from the PO. Currently trying to find just the right length V belt for the PS.

83381146-02EE-467E-9D58-4B78D5CE2535.jpeg

7805C999-48A0-425B-A611-A3E80A2E4A56.jpeg

2650A2D8-EA91-48AC-8975-78700693CA34.jpeg

These are the two belts I got from the dealer for an 83' 2F but it looks like your belts are run different (perhaps incorrectly?) so might not apply. I remember a chart with part numbers that the dealer gave me with the different belt and pulley configurations depending on where your pumps and alternator are mounted. I'll post it up once I find it.

PXL_20230324_003542732.jpg

Last edited:
Here it is, looks to me like the alternator belt should go around the power steering pump and harmonic balancer and the other belt goes around the WP, idler pulley and harmonic balancer. Hopefully you have the two pulley balancer.

I also don't have a fan clutch and have a double water pump pully so may not be apples to apples.

PXL_20230324_004357001.jpg

Last edited:
Here it is, looks to me like the alternator belt should go around the power steering pump and harmonic balancer and the other belt goes around the WP, idler pulley and harmonic balancer. Hopefully you have the two pulley balancer.

I also don't have a fan clutch and have a double water pump pully so may not be apples to apples.

View attachment 3280581
Yeah, since my setup is so “homebrew” I think I’ve got to just do trial and error or some really good measuring to get the right size. I think I’m close though. It worked well before, just made a terrible whine.

As @wngrog pointed out here a shiny pulley is usually the source of the whine. I think my old belts were too narrow.

I got the FJ60 Power Steering all set I think. I ordered a new Gates replacement hose for the high pressure line from Rock Auto and got a Toyota OEM return line. I was surprised at first that it said Yokohama on it, but upon closer inspection it looks like the old one was as well.

Next up is making new fuel and "return" lines. I'm a bit intimidated, not really sure why though. I have a 25' length of tube, bender, and olives and nuts thanks to a post from @GA Architect who always has the rare OEM part numbers. Will be bypassing the electric fuel pump installed by a PO in favor of the mechanical which I rebuilt with the kit from @red66toy. Fingers crossed.

DDBFAF4D-AC37-4EBC-A19E-F2348A89212A.jpeg

3D2A64B8-2AF3-4ED4-B4EF-F2E930340510.jpeg

739FCF7F-A350-4F47-9821-3F43651C1A3E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom