Builds 78 Mustard Yellow FJ40 #Tiger40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
I recently acquired a mostly original mustard yellow 1978 FJ40 with 52k original miles from my Father-in-law. It was purchased from the original owner in 1980 and parked for good in 1997. In Oct 2021 he towed it over to my house so we could get it running, but quickly realized he no longer had much interest in it after we drove around the block. He loved the FJ40 but did not want to put any more time or money into getting it back on the road. After owning it for so long, keeping it in the family was high on the list and I was in the right place at the right time to purchase it.

The block was frozen due to sitting in place since 97, so we had to take the head off and free up the block. We then ordered any gasket/seal/grommet/hose from the pushrod cover up, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor, fuel pump, water pump, thermostat and battery. After I got the head back on we rebuilt the carb and did a quick cold valve adjustment to fire it up, set the ignition timing, and perform a hot valve adjustment. I am more skilled than an average diy'er but don't do any mechanical work for a living. It was great bonding time working on the FJ40 with him and he even said the FJ40 never ran as good as it did after we got it running!

That puts us to where we are today, it starts and runs perfectly but there is still a lot of work to be done. Seals on the transfer case and transmission are leaking. All of the other powertrain fluids need to be replaced. Complete brake system needs to be inspected and most importantly the door seals need to be replaced.

43.jpg

33.jpg

77.jpg

9.jpg

--.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Beautiful!!! Glad it’s staying in the Family and getting a new life!!! Keep rocking old iron!

Congrats!
Good for you keeping it in the family. The truck looks very complete and unmolested.
I saw your YouTube startup video, sounds like its running well.

Grab 5 oem hubcaps while they are still available new, for a steal in todays market.
Love the stripes!

Congrats!
Good for you keeping it in the family. The truck looks very complete and unmolested.
I saw your YouTube startup video, sounds like its running well.

Grab 5 oem hubcaps while they are still available new, for a steal in todays market.
Love the stripes!
Thank you! I just ordered oem rear door seals, and I plan to get some hub caps and headlights on the next round with the front door seals.

Looks great! You are lucky to get your hands on such a nice FJ40. I have a '72, but my dream is to own a mustard yellow '78 just like yours.

Looks great! You are lucky to get your hands on such a nice FJ40. I have a '72, but my dream is to own a mustard yellow '78 just like yours.
Congratulations! That’s a great looking 40!
Thanks guys! I’m ready to learn all about them. It’s been fun so far

Best year, I like the color to boot! Code 532 Mustard Yellow👍 As @sterling said, grab parts while you still can. Originality is everything on these classics.

Absolutely beautiful! Can't believe the paint and what looks like the original stripes. The interior looks just as good as the exterior. I see it has California plates. You'll need that smog equipment to get it titled and on the road. Keep us posted.

Absolutely beautiful! Can't believe the paint and what looks like the original stripes. The interior looks just as good as the exterior. I see it has California plates. You'll need that smog equipment to get it titled and on the road. Keep us posted.
Thank you! The stripes were added on by the dealer but they have been on since new. I am definitely not looking forward to getting this back to smog spec, but it must be done haha.

Do I spot an ap2? And I also have a tacoma 👌

View attachment 3254221
My long lost brother lol 😄 Yes, that is my 05 AP2 and 91 Civic Si next to it. I am also restoring an 87 LT250R to take to the dunes once it's all ready 👍 Lots of projects little time!

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

I’m going through all the crates that came with the purchase and I’m pretty stoked about finding all of the smog equipment! Looks like it’s got pretty much everything, but I won’t know until I try and fit it all back on to the FJ40.

View attachment 3200810
That there is the California spec thermal reactor exhaust manifold. Look very carefully for cracks before putting it back on. It's a multi piece unit made to heat up quickly, essentially a precursor to cats. I've read on here you can use a federal spec manifold and still pass your visual inspection. You'll need to get the EGR and pipe from the vehicle you get the manifold from though.

Snap a pic of the sticker under the hood on the PS. If it's black with white lettering it's a CA spec 40.

Edit: I see in the first post you have the CA spec sticker. It also looks like your air cleaner housing has the vacuum line routing sticker in good shape. I think someone has posted a pic of the routing from the 78 emissions manual before but you'll have to search for it. Nice 40 indeed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom