1979 FJ40 2UZ Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking fwd to seeing that drive-by vid!

So my son is having his 2nd birthday party this weekend. It’s a “blue truck” party in our backyard. So I had to find a way to get my 40 back there.
369DB480-A1CB-4655-9672-671BF6B99DE9.jpeg

I measured and had a little less than 2” of “wiggle” room…yeah, I didn’t calculate for the angle it would come in at
B3F789C6-7A50-4876-A4D8-7FE8BADD9035.jpeg
AE96709E-7DFA-4F82-AA55-4912A5D9011D.jpeg

Whoops! I wanted to take out that chainlink fence anyway, but even doing that I was pinned against a tree and the fence. Luckily, the wider tires pushed me just far enough off that tree!!
64A1B126-D4D4-42B1-A488-E0A11538A24F.jpeg
922FC8A4-5D0D-4EFD-B9A8-284BC59C3FBA.jpeg

Success!! I’ll worry about the extraction after the party
1F0E86BD-EA0E-43FB-BE73-DC66DB78C7DA.jpeg

Scratches are memories. Kiddo will enjoy those one day.

Birthday party was a success! We had a ton of kids crawling in and around the 40. Good times!

Afterward, I worked on the battery wiring some and threw the engine cover on for grins.

Ignore the temporary radiator overflow tank…
172C3728-D9C1-4896-8D58-3BAC5BE363EC.jpeg

9B06CFCF-61B3-4329-A9B9-DD975FB17E63.jpeg

What are you using to supply and control the fan?

What are you using to supply and control the fan?

Toyota starter relay switched inside the cab so I can kill the fan if going through water. It’s a Volvo fan and relay setup so the Toyota relay only controls the main power to the Volvo relays. Main power comes through the 2uz high amp circuit that’s normally attached at the battery terminal.

Here’s the website I used to assist with the wiring.

Toyota starter relay switched inside the cab so I can kill the fan if going through water. It’s a Volvo fan and relay setup so the Toyota relay only controls the main power to the Volvo relays. Main power comes through the 2uz high amp circuit that’s normally attached at the battery terminal.

Here’s the website I used to assist with the wiring.

I used that same site and basically the same hardware. If only my wiring skill was up to the hardware…

Electric fans are fully functional and the exhaust note sounds great!

Still plenty of work but it’s getting better. Oh and I cleaned up some of the wiring this weekend.

44DA0132-01DD-41A1-A9BA-0A9A7E449BCB.jpeg

I forget how cramped the 40's engine bay gets when you jam a UZ in it. But, if it fits it ships!

Last edited:
Maiden voyage…wife had to tow me back home 🤦😂 my neighbors got a good laugh though!

Found a loose connection at the switch for my fuel pump once I got it home. Also, I thought I had the cdl unlocked but it’s definitely still locked.

Edit @9:30pm. I tried a spare center diff lock to see if I could get that to work off the wiring that I have. Still no luck so I disassembled the one on the truck to unlock it manually. It smelled hot so my guess is that something is wrong with the wiring. I swapped in the spare and I’ll leave it unlocked for now.

Last edited:
Ahhh, give it the beans! You know you wanna!

Ahhh, give it the beans! You know you wanna!
Haha so true! I tried to get a video of doing that and about ran into the curb…when accelerating it caught a crack in the road and yanked me a few feet over. Made me laugh and realize I needed a copilot to try and record more videos!

Updates:

Changed the front back to SUA and left the rear SOA.

Painted the rear section with color matched paint

Installed 37s. Probably going back to 35s since I’m rubbing on the front fenders a TON haha

IMG_9949.jpeg

IMG_9942.jpeg

Bring it by! Definitely looks perfect on 37s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom