What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What year Tundra? I had a first gen I know had two different sizes of front disc brakes. Believe one set of pads were 5 1/2" and the other was 6 1/2". Never compared the rotors to the 40 series rotors. This rotors look way to big for 40 series 15" disc brake wheels. Canada for the 16" split rims but depending on which gen Tundra rotor might be to big for those. Have already figured out what wheel you will be running. Figure even with wheel spacers you still want the rotor sitting inside the wheel to be protected.

You are correct. that was a factor in the decision for sure. I printed a template for checking wheel fit of the bigger tundra brakes. The template did clear the 16" split rims I have on the truck now with no need for spacers or grinding indicated. but to be on the safer side I opted for the smaller early 2000s tundra calipers anyways. I'll post up once I verify the fit. I do not intend to run 17s or anything like that on this truck, just dont look right IMO.Trying to keep the outward appearance close to stock

Refurbished the warn 8274

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

Fixed most of the door rattles. They were in the front, and I had no clue that the door adjustment was too far in to make it to the second click. I'll have to wait for some washboard to see. Also used some generic weatherstrip to make it tight.

Drilled out the worn-out carb side hole where the torsion rod on the accelerator linkage goes. Made a tight-fit steel bushing to replace the wasted nylon one from a piece, scrapped from a Hitachi carb from my pickup. Fixed a ton of throttle linkage slop!

Installed a new OEM non-USA 2F carb. Got a Doorman brand choke cable stop. Added a section of wire to go from the idle cut solenoid flat spade to the OE bullet connector. Left it with the rich main jets installed. Manufactured a longer air cleaner threaded rod. I have a bit of a ring in my ears, but, especially, at road speed, I can't really tell when the engine is idling and I'm coasting, or next to other vehicles at a stop light - it's nice to have a low 500-ish rpm in between the fury of the straight-cut transfer case gears, sounding akin to the old UPS delivery trucks. I don't know what was wrong with the old carb, if it was corrosion, or what, but, I unleashed a beast!

Reinstalled the original '75 mouse-nest air cleaner, complete with major rain, snow, and rodent urine patina. I figured that I would let it tell its story - something unique to these old rigs, as auto design these days relies so heavy on obsolete paint and plastic, which ages so poorly, so fast.

Added a hand-throttle that came with a Redline Weber kit for my pickup that I didn't use.

20210427_130644.jpg

It is pretty simple. Drill a hole in the plate that operates the old throttle positioner switch for the smog system, about twice the size needed for the super stiff cable. Add a Doorman-brand cable stop. The OEM system relied on a part to hold the cable in place. But, the cable is stiff, and the accelerator pedal swings in an long arc, so I just avoided the extra friction at a couple of points by letting the whole flexible section of the cable do its thing. I took a file to the sharp part of the cable's outer sheath, which was cut, so it doesn't excessively wear the inner wire as it moves.

20210427_130749.jpg

20210427_130804.jpg

Last edited:
Went to a local trailhead after work to run.

20210427_172116.jpg
20210427_172030.jpg

One hell of a nice looking cruiser! Send some pictures of a grizzly.
Thanks!

I haven't seen any griz since last summer, really don't see them often, but we did have a griz cub stroll through our campsite last year.

We never did see the big bear!

Thanks!

I haven't seen any griz since last summer, really don't see them often, but we did have a griz cub stroll through our campsite last year.

We never did see the big bear!
If you did you probably wouldn’t be telling that story. We have black bears down here as you probably know but they are more afraid of humans than humans are afraid of them. It’s funny when I hear people around here scared of a black bear. Now the grizzly is another beast and another story. That’s pretty cool but scary having that happen to you.

If you did you probably wouldn’t be telling that story. We have black bears down here as you probably know but they are more afraid of humans than humans are afraid of them. It’s funny when I hear people around here scared of a black bear. Now the grizzly is another beast and another story. That’s pretty cool but scary having that happen to you.
Oh, we were ready for mama bear, she'd have been on the wrong end of 2 cans of bear spray and then .44 mag and .45 auto!

That's why there are no pics! Bear spray in one hand and the pistola in the other!

As a former Wildlife Biologist with 20+ years of experience and an MS in black bear behavior, I commend you on your attitude!

Wanted to share this with you all. This is something I did a while back; maybe a month. I bought a jeep can carrier and a gas can and basket set. I mounted the basket to the shelf end of the jeep can carrier. Then, a friend who does metal fabricating made a new attachment plate, fitted to my FJ40. here's a pic of the basket. Will post pics of the whole thing when the "Sloth" gets back from the mechanic and after it gets new tires.

2000-01-01 00.00.55.jpg

Wanted to share this with you all. This is something I did a while back; maybe a month. I bought a jeep can carrier and a gas can and basket set. I mounted the basket to the shelf end of the jeep can carrier. Then, a friend who does metal fabricating made a new attachment plate, fitted to my FJ40. here's a pic of the basket. Will post pics of the whole thing when the "Sloth" gets back from the mechanic and after it gets new tires.

View attachment 2659179

Doesn't look like anything jeep specific unless I missed something. Did you add a receiver hitch to your 40? Does it have a stock spare tire carrier. Curious how this would clear the tire with a centered receiver hitch?

Doesn't look like anything jeep specific unless I missed something. Did you add a receiver hitch to your 40? Does it have a stock spare tire carrier. Curious how this would clear the tire with a centered receiver hitch?
Don't know why you are referring to receiver hitches. It has a plate that mounts to the spare tire and is cinched down by the lug nuts on the spare tire, similar to how the old Con-Fer carriers did. At the time I didn't have a pic of the plate. I'll take a picture of the rig today before I leave for the shop.

It's vehicle specific in that the lug-bolt spacing is different and a new plate needs to be made.

Don't know why you are referring to receiver hitches. It has a plate that mounts to the spare tire and is cinched down by the lug nuts on the spare tire, similar to how the old Con-Fer carriers did. At the time I didn't have a pic of the plate. I'll take a picture of the rig today before I leave for the shop.

It's vehicle specific in that the lug-bolt spacing is different and a new plate needs to be made.
I see now=because of the square attachment==it's 1 inch, not 2x2.

Last edited:
Bought an ARB bullbar clone from @Wadesters several years ago and have had it on the 40 until last week. The black paint was chipped in some spots and it needed to be refreshed so I reshot the bumper with Rustoleum Hammered black. The old Warn 8274 had been taken off and transferred to one of the FJ60s but I bought a second 8274 for $75 and rebuilt it with a new 6 hp motor and Albright contactor. Mounted both on the beater 40 today.

IMG_6086.JPG
IMG_6090.JPG
IMG_6093.JPG

Drive that thing over to the meetup were having in Newnan, GA May 8th!!

:lol: :lol: It's not quite road worthy at the moment, needs a few things to be safe over 40 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom