What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (61 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you weld in a piece of sheet metal for the gap? Do you have any before photos? I have some rust bubbles at the top of the window and only a couple small ones at the bottom, want to know what I should expect. Window seal is in shipping now so Ill tackle it soon.

Drove it some more...

20210121_170614.jpg

Then drove a little further..
20210122_145002.jpg

Tried out my new super slim foldable BBQ
20210122_150114.jpg

Nicely done!! There's absolutely nothing worse than rust. And it's the only thing that we always pretend it doesn't exist or that it will go away if we just ignore it. You saved your LX
Thank you! Hope it looks somewhat decent when I'm all done. lol
Did you weld in a piece of sheet metal for the gap? Do you have any before photos? I have some rust bubbles at the top of the window and only a couple small ones at the bottom, want to know what I should expect. Window seal is in shipping now so Ill tackle it soon.
I used a bondo self adhesive patch and bondo. Here is what it looked like a few days before. Seeing it that bad is what prompted me to take acion.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 9.44.27 PM.png

Time to pop my cherry - replacing my cheap China starter while im at it View attachment 2562388
Yep, time to replace. Just pull tire and mud guards. Can't remember if turning right or left helped. In reality, it was not that bad, at least not as bad as changing the high pressure hose on the power steering. If using silicone, it will be very tight and the toughest part of the install. Heat it up first and see if that helps, if not, use SIL-glyde as a last resort. I don't like using it unless absolutely necessary, if it is easier to go on with it, it is also easier for it to come off and leak...

Lol i leave it cracked open when out on the trail just for better airflow.
Years ago I used to have to prop my hood open with rocks on long grades in the desert.
:lol:

It’s been awhile. I bought some Ironman recovery points from their web site but they took too long to fulfill the order. In the 4 days I waited for an update, I contracted “diy guy buyer’s remorse”. It’s a bent piece of steel with some holes drilled into it for $100.

I took the stock tie down points and beefed them up. Really it was a matter of “completing” the paltry welding from the factory and adding some pieces of steel from a 16mm old control arm to frame bolt I had lying around. Also added a 1/4” gusset for fun. Please see pics of a completed one vs a “factory” example.

would you guys run it? Feedback from any of our engineer friends would be greatly appreciated.

EE7053A5-8966-4A50-A90A-C645CB465CC4.jpeg

0D84AF4B-563D-4EFC-95F6-5E4404CEA82A.jpeg

B7ED1C33-6FF7-4BDD-AC3A-C9C3EF7706CB.jpeg

4CC00626-C136-424D-8E71-E8760521400F.jpeg

Last edited:
- swapped 3rd row for leather seats, 2nd row still searching for. realized the '91 and '95 use different seatbelt latches and 3rd row in '95 i guess only has buckles for 2 so simply swapped the '91 receivers in and maintained 8 person seating.
- replaced cracked sprayer reservoir and fixed rear sprayer not working (line in rear near jack was submerged in water and mold made its way into tubing through the 1-way valve coupler)
- driver door liner, previous owner many years apparently had just hacked it out
- mounted some period correct ipf flood lights to bumper
- made adapter for license plater to get rear carrier all complete, added bumper tow receiver because i lost my tow when adding the rear carrier.
- installed front hd tie rod assembly

View attachment 2560265

View attachment 2560267

View attachment 2560268

View attachment 2560269

View attachment 2560273
Nice rig, real clean and looks taken care of. What tint did you have?

Well one try is hardly a good test but my initial impressions are very good. Certainly handled the cooking part very well. No twisting or buckling with the heat. Still folded nice and flat.

Had a leaking coolant hose so I went with the HPS silicone kit. I’m assuming this splice to make what’s supposed to be a single length of hose into 2 is NOT from Toyota as an OEM ‘pipe connector’ 🤷‍♂️

BB317352-F620-422E-99BB-7797D67B273A.jpeg

BF9E6662-9676-42A7-98BC-6A2F49EE5833.jpeg

The monochrome grey progress continues... I used the SOR vinyl wheel-well covers, dupicolor medium gray, Home Depot outdoor carpet, grey door edging from Amazon (that I crimped onto the carpet to edge it out)... and new clips on the panel, for sure. I sound-deadened under the carpet and behind panel, as well. All in all, I’m liking it (and the wife likes it, so I guess that’s the only opinion that really matters).

EA972178-99A7-42B8-A191-2A1CA3B7D768.jpeg

Finally have some time, space and materials to start several projects that are somewhat intertwined. Tore out the interior, headliner and started making space under the hood. Projects starting on:
I have been accumulating parts for the last year just waiting for when I had some time to start. So, second day tear down, cleaning starts tomorrow...

View attachment 2509347

Slight update. About 50% of the way with the sound deadening and noico foam insulation. Started on some of the wiring and lighting as I don't want to damage the Kilmat by climbing in and out of the vehicle.

Fabing up some mounts for a rear mounted light to go in place of the dust deflector. More work than I was expecting, which is the norm for me. The installers did not get the deflector mounts square with the door of the vehicle. This is causing some difficulty in making everything line up well. I am now just waiting on new button head fasteners for the light. Once I have this, and some other niceties completed, off to the powder coater for the mounting system. Also installed the @yodaTEQ ditch light brackets, well one anyway. Need to order some goodies from @Outsane as the bottom support for the DS mirror disintegrated in my fingers.

Anyway, update pics. Bolts are just there to help mock everything up. You can see that the factory mounting brackets were not perfectly centered.

1611444344385.png

1611444686442.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom