What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (84 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had to travel for work, so instead of flying, I drove from Kansas City to New Orleans.
In West Plains, MO, I about rear ended a semi while gawking at a well built 80 (green, white roof, roof rack, I think a snorkel) that was turning left from the main highway. I was in a rented Tahoe, do no reciprocation of visual for reference.

I am currently in New Orleans, near the French Quarter, hanging out outside the Holiday Inn Express, and across the street isa 93 LC. So, I left my card for them to throw away.

IMG_20210119_192010212~2.jpg

Right tool for the job- starter replacement

View attachment 2555150
Ha nice! I lack a couple of those flaps. Are they an actual part or more of a cut-to-fit aftermarket thing? Would like to protect starter and engine bay from wet and mud flung by the tires.
I spent some time working on a little project....
A few months ago I decided to pull my 2nd row seats and put them in the storage unit. I figured I never use them for passengers and I wanted a few extra inches of leg room so I could shut the tailgate and sleep comfortably in the back. After a few camping trips in the back I decided I wanted a permanent solution for leveling out the floor behind the front seats.
Cool idea, execution, and dogs. What is on roof in the cargo area? Storage?

Last edited:
Did a winter trip to Alabama Hills and Death Valley. Stock height and 31” Highway Terrain tires. No sweat for the 80. Def dragged the spare and the tow hitch over a rock or two. Steel pass, and a couple technical routes off saline valley roads - 187 miles off road. Some Red Rider, lever action fun. Only carnage was in the back seat...kids!!
6E3F0211-E747-4AF1-99C4-7D18F16EC153.jpeg
C7646C2C-B2F2-484B-B4C4-5B151F090A76.jpeg
4B31CEC8-0F79-4C15-B5DB-84EA46EF396E.jpeg
AE6B791B-4D99-458B-B1B9-FD41B370FA22.jpeg
A322ADBD-40E2-49AF-8F75-64228449842E.jpeg

The Aussies have bolt on mirrors that look just like GM tow mirrors.

Edit:

View attachment 2559039
I actually bought those and returned them, my hdj81 was not plug and play with the clearviews, it uses a different harness:( and I didn’t want to cut plugs on 600$ mirrors.
But the GM ones......I’ll cut them up all day:)

I read an article today that said Toyota will no longer sell Landcruisers in the US after 2021. I think it said only 3500 were sold last year. The 300 series coming out in August will not be offered here - only Europe and Asia. I guess our 80 series will become more valuable as there aren't going to be good choices for new off-road vehicles here in the states. Let's all hope Toyota wakes up and starts to import the 70 series into the US!

Quick little overnighter with the wifey out to Stanislaus and Yosemite to test some new gear and relax a bit. Found some patches of snow and poked around some trails before heading into the valley. Only fail was forgetting the 12v blanket plug. Luckily it was ridiculously warm for January at 6000’ in the Sierras.
F3DB0013-C6BF-47D7-84F5-C965CBC6CA43.jpeg
C6BA06F5-8911-4586-A501-5F25E5574151.jpeg
E514BC1F-4D24-4372-BFDE-8952D786155E.jpeg
97B5E112-D79A-4B7B-8034-BF14E4B084F2.jpeg
ED4B995D-2310-4317-A0FC-E8BBB9D675D5.jpeg

I read an article today that said Toyota will no longer sell Landcruisers in the US after 2021. I think it said only 3500 were sold last year. The 300 series coming out in August will not be offered here - only Europe and Asia. I guess our 80 series will become more valuable as there aren't going to be good choices for new off-road vehicles here in the states. Let's all hope Toyota wakes up and starts to import the 70 series into the U

No good options for off road vehicles.....well good sir, are you not forgetting the new Defender? It has a sonar for crossing rivers!!

Seriously though I thought the same thing when I read that. Glad I have my 80. Lets hope the value goes in the direction of old US market defenders.

Ha nice! I lack a couple of those flaps. Are they an actual part or more of a cut-to-fit aftermarket thing? Would like to protect starter and engine bay from wet and mud flung by the tires.

Cool idea, execution, and dogs. What is on roof in the cargo area? Storage?
It is a 10" sub

watchVideo thumbnail: Sand Hollow You Gotta Be Nuts''

Not this weekend but here is a video in Sand hollow for Trail hero 2020 I finally downloaded. Some good old Rev limiter action on the climb called "You Gotta Be Nuts" :skull: Its on the Maze trail. Hey @cruiserdan here is some more 80 destruction for you!

Last edited:
Well, at least it didn't go ass-over-tea-kettle. :hillbilly:

I read an article today that said Toyota will no longer sell Landcruisers in the US after 2021. I think it said only 3500 were sold last year. The 300 series coming out in August will not be offered here - only Europe and Asia. I guess our 80 series will become more valuable as there aren't going to be good choices for new off-road vehicles here in the states. Let's all hope Toyota wakes up and starts to import the 70 series into the US!
This is true, but the Lexus version will still be sold here. There is a rumor that Toyota will bring in a revised, smaller LC at a later date. Something that is quite a bit different from what the Lexus variant will become. Having a clean break will allow them to reintroduce the Land Cruiser to the American market.

I read an article today that said Toyota will no longer sell Landcruisers in the US after 2021. I think it said only 3500 were sold last year. The 300 series coming out in August will not be offered here - only Europe and Asia. I guess our 80 series will become more valuable as there aren't going to be good choices for new off-road vehicles here in the states. Let's all hope Toyota wakes up and starts to import the 70 series into the U

No good options for off road vehicles.....well good sir, are you not forgetting the new Defender? It has a sonar for crossing rivers!!

Seriously though I thought the same thing when I read that. Glad I have my 80. Let hope the value goes in the direction of old US market defenders.

watchVideo thumbnail: Sand Hollow You Gotta Be Nuts''''

Not this weekend but here is a video in Sand hollow for Trail hero 2020 I finally downloaded. Some good old Rev limiter action on the climb called "You Gotta Be Nuts" :skull: Its on the Maze trail. Hey @cruiserdan here is some more 80 destruction for you!
I am surprised you had to use so much throttle on that obstacle, what psi were you running on your tires?

I am surprised you had to use so much throttle on that obstacle, what psi were you running on your tires?
3-4 in the back and 7ish up front so I can steer still. I think the trick to this climb is to roll into it. I saw full on buggies with sticky’s struggle to get up it climbing it the way I did. Then I saw a local who has climbed it before in a 4 door JK make it look easy!

Have you seen the climb in person? I was the second person up it that day in a group like 50 Jeeps that had at least 40k in off-road goodies! Only about 10 of us hit it the rest went around.

I rolled up kicked the family out and hit it! After seeing a few locals hit it I’m sure I could make it look better than I did 😂

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom