80 Series brake hydro booster conversion installed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
A few months ago @RFB started a thread asking about the possibility of converting a gas powered 80 from the factory vacuum brake booster to a hydraulic booster that is powered with pressurized power steering fluid. A kit from a company called Power Brake Service was referred to specifically.

I liked the idea although this conversion on an 80 had never crossed my mind. The rig I built prior to purchasing my first 80 in 2014 was fitted with a hydro booster and one ton axles which produced absolutely phenomenal braking power with 40’s and 3 tons to stop.

Since I was nearing the day I would delete the ABS system from my rig, and my prior experience with hydro boost was very good, I ordered a kit from Power Brake Service.

The kit that I received was not sitting on the shelf. Matt, at Power Brake Service had to put it together from scratch and it took 16 days to ship. The parts were packaged well and everything I needed was included and fit properly.

Along with the hydro booster, I chose a Wilwood MC with a 1.125” bore. The oem MC has a 1” bore and will not bolt up to the GM hydro booster. A bigger bore equals a shorter pedal stroke.

The pressure hoses are steel braided and route fluid power from the PS pump to the booster and then to the steering box. At the booster, banjo fittings were used and field installable JIS style fittings with metric to SAE adapter unions were used at the steering box and PS pump.

The manual proportioning valve is a Wilwood Combo proportioning valve that has two “in” ports and 3 out. There are separate pressure ports for the front calipers so a tee is not needed. This kit is put together in an ala carte manner so the MC and proportioning valve were my choice as well as the steel braided pressure hoses.

It didn’t take long to figure out that the booster would have to be installed upside down on account of the accumulator cylinder and the engine upper plenum competing for space. This is not a problem but does require more time to bleed the air from the booster because of the return line now being located on the lower instead of upper side of the booster. The upside down mounting also causes the pressure hoses to be routed down low which, IMO, makes for a cleaner install. The return hose from the booster is routed to a point where it tee’s into the system return hose about a foot or so below the reservoir.

As part of this project, I disassembled my PS reservoir and cleaned the strainer. In order to keep from ever needing do this again, I installed a Magnefine in-line fluid filter between the Tee of the booster return hose and the reservoir.

Where the factory hard brake lines were longer than necessary, I chose to make two new lines using a soft copper/nickel type of brake line that is very easy to work with, DOT approved, corrosion resistant and rated up to 4600 psi. All bends were made without a bender.

List of stuff:

-Napa Eclipse calipers
-Hawk Super Duty ferro carbon front pads
-StopTech 309 rear pads
-DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid
-25’ Copper/Nickel brake line kit from eBay that came with a generous assortment of fittings. Around $25
-Rigid brake line cutting and flaring kit #33927 $115. (Very good tool kit for the price. I chose it because I couldn’t find one negative review.)
-Magnefine fluid filter $25
-steel braided hoses for axle to caliper locations. $140.
-Complete hydro boost kit with addition of the Wilwood Combo proportioning valve $1100. I chose a brand new booster instead of rebuilt, steel braided lines were extra, I could have chosen a cheaper MC and the proportioning valve is completely optional.

Since the plumbing is now simplified, bleeding the lines is as simple as cracking the caliper bleed ports and letting gravity do the job. This was impossible before.

The booster kit comes with a set of very complete, easy to understand instructions and install was a simple straight forward affair. Making the hard lines was probably the most challenging part of the entire job. Bleeding the PS system was done exactly as outlined in the factory service manual but did require a good bit of patience which I attribute to the booster being installed upside down.

Reasons for doing this:
-after removing my abs system, the results were not what I had hoped for. (Results vary and are subjective)
-I had no knowledge of the age and condition of my vacuum booster and MC so preventive maintenance was a factor.
- brake line pressure created by a hydro booster is roughly twice that of a typical vacuum booster, so, theoretically, this would give me greater braking power hence shorter stopping distances. Greater booster power allows the use of a larger bore MC which moves more fluid per millimeter of stroke.
- my previous experience with hydro boosted brakes is positive.
- proven reliable

The end result is a high, firm pedal that delivers smooth, linear stopping power far greater than what I had before. Only the weight of my foot and leg resting on the brake pedal is necessary to remain stopped at traffic lights. I haven’t taken measurements to see exactly how many feet it takes to stop from a certain speed but I can say that my expectations have been exceeded as I was a bit skeptical due to the fact that my rotors and calipers are stock equipment. Choice of brake friction material may have considerable bearing on the final outcome.
00B6847C-9C3A-4659-9510-82451C419CB6.jpeg
16E0F6B9-008C-499A-8291-9E6BB2AD63DD.jpeg
154BD116-F2D9-4A08-A26A-F1391EBA81FF.jpeg
5A0E9EC9-1FD7-42EB-8F64-379E0988CABB.jpeg
F6C95678-7C74-486A-80A8-F5B5F93631D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice install. I love my hydroboost conversion and wouldn't have it any other way. I have the same MC cyl bore (1.125) and same booster and complete 80 series brakes front and rear and it locks 35" tires on command at speed.

I would recommend upgrading the steering cooler as well.

And a note for the more budget-minded you can get the same booster out of any GM/Ford/Dodge from something like 1985-2015 at the junkyard for $20, and a 1.125 MC with a nice reservoir from a 2500 Express Van for new for $35-40, and universal hydroboost mounting plate from a seller on ebay for about $25, and have the same clean conversion for probably 1/5 of the cost.

I could have done all that foot work and made it all myself but I decided to skip that headache. On the plus side, I got all new parts and none of them came from over seas.

I installed a 17” derale heat sink in place of the stock paper clip fluid cooler a couple years ago.
Nice install. I love my hydroboost conversion and wouldn't have it any other way. I have the same MC cyl bore (1.125) and same booster and complete 80 series brakes front and rear and it locks 35" tires on command at speed.

I would recommend upgrading the steering cooler as well.

And a note for the more budget-minded you can get the same booster out of any GM/Ford/Dodge from something like 1985-2015 at the junkyard for $20, and a 1.125 MC with a nice reservoir from a 2500 Express Van for new for $35-40, and universal hydroboost mounting plate from a seller on ebay for about $25, and have the same clean conversion for probably 1/5 of the cost.

Last edited:
D@mn you... I just bought a new Aisin MC this week to install.

This will be the next project on my 91.

Did you look at their electric hydros? Been eyeing them for a while but haven't taken the time to call and ask.

Did you look at their electric hydros? Been eyeing them for a while but haven't taken the time to call and ask.
No, I did not. Sounds interesting.

Reactions: RFB
I knew it would work, sort of. wel done I may be right behind you If I find myself coasting down fins or descents.

A few months ago @RFB started a thread asking about the possibility of converting a gas powered 80 from the factory vacuum brake booster to a hydraulic booster that is powered with pressurized power steering fluid. A kit from a company called Power Brake Service was referred to specifically.

I liked the idea although this conversion on an 80 had never crossed my mind. The rig I built prior to purchasing my first 80 in 2014 was fitted with a hydro booster and one ton axles which produced absolutely phenomenal braking power with 40’s and 3 tons to stop.

Since I was nearing the day I would delete the ABS system from my rig, and my prior experience with hydro boost has been very good, I ordered a kit from Power Brake Service.

The kit that I received was not sitting on the shelf. Matt, at Power Brake Service had to put it together from scratch and it took 16 days to ship. The parts were packaged well and everything I needed was included and fit properly.

Along with the hydro booster, I chose a Wilwood MC with a 1.125” bore. The oem MC has a 1” bore and will not bolt up to the GM hydro booster. A bigger bore equals a shorter pedal stroke.

The pressure hoses are steel braided and route fluid power from the PS pump to the booster and then to the steering box. At the booster, banjo fittings were used and field installable JIS style fittings with metric to SAE adapter unions were used at the steering box and PS pump.

The manual proportioning valve is a Wilwood Combo proportioning valve that has two “in” ports and 3 out. There are separate pressure ports for the front calipers so a tee is not needed. This kit is put together in an ala carte manner so the MC and proportioning valve were my choice as well as the steel braided pressure hoses.

It didn’t take long to figure out that the booster would have to be installed upside down on account of the accumulator cylinder and the engine upper plenum competing for space. This is not a problem but does require more time to bleed the air from the booster because of the return line now being located on the lower instead of upper side of the booster. The upside down mounting also causes the pressure hoses to be routed down low which, IMO, makes for a cleaner install. The return hose from the booster is routed to a point where tee’s into the system return hose about a foot or so below the reservoir.

As part of this project, I disassembled my PS reservoir and cleaned the strainer. In order to keep from ever needing do this again, I installed a Magnefine in-line fluid filter between the Tee of the booster return hose and the reservoir.

Where the factory hard brake lines were longer than necessary, I chose to make two new lines using a soft copper/nickel type of brake line that is very easy to work with, DOT approved, corrosion resistant and rated up to 4600 psi. All bends were made without a bender.

List of stuff:

-Napa Eclipse calipers
-Hawk Super Duty ferro carbon front pads
-StopTech 309 rear pads
-DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid
-25’ Copper/Nickel brake line kit from eBay that came with a generous assortment of fittings. Around $25
-Rigid brake line cutting and flaring kit #33927 $115. (Very good tool kit for the price. I chose it because I couldn’t find one negative review.)
-Magnefine fluid filter $25
-Complete hydro boost kit with addition of the Wilwood Combo proportioning valve $1100. I chose a brand new booster instead of rebuilt, steel braided lines were extra, I could have chosen a cheaper MC and the proportioning valve is completely optional.

Since the plumbing is now simplified, bleeding the lines was as simple as cracking the caliper bleed ports and letting gravity do the job. This was impossible before.

The booster kit comes with a set of very complete, easy to understand instructions and install was a simple straight forward affair. Making the hard lines was probably the most challenging part of the whole job. Bleeding the PS system was done exactly as outlined in the factory service manual but did require a good bit of patience which I attribute to the booster being installed upside down.

Reasons for doing this:
-after removing my abs system, the results were not what I had hoped for. (Results vary and are subjective)
-I had no knowledge of the age and condition of my vacuum booster and MC so preventive maintenance was a factor.
- brake line pressure created by a hydro booster is roughly twice that of a typical vacuum booster, so, theoretically, this would give me greater braking power hence shorter stopping distances. Greater booster power allows the use of a larger bore MC which moves more fluid per millimeter of stroke.
- my previous experience with hydro boosted brakes has been very good.
- proven reliable

The end result is a high, firm pedal that delivers smooth, linear stopping power far greater than what I had before. Only the weight of my foot and leg resting on the brake pedal is necessary to remain stopped at traffic lights. I haven’t taken measurements to see exactly how many feet it takes to stop from a certain speed but I can say that my expectations have been exceeded as I was a bit skeptical due to the fact that my rotors and calipers are stock equipment. Choice of brake friction material may have considerable bearing on the final outcome. View attachment 1956784View attachment 1956785View attachment 1956786View attachment 1956787View attachment 1956788
Great thread. I am very unhappy with the braking power of our rigs, especially fully loaded. Can I ask how much time you have in this?

Great thread. I am very unhappy with the braking power of our rigs, especially fully loaded. Can I ask how much time you have in this?
As was I and most of us, But I am holding off on this upgrade until I find out for sure If removing my ABS sytem entirely actually helped enough. If it didnt Im going this route, fortunately @baldilocks had the will and means to do this and then do a write up. So I wouldnt be stepping off the cliff into the dark.

I know that brake performance can be somewhat subjective. For me, the ABS / LSPV delete and EBC pads gave me brakes that I am happy with.

Last edited:
I know that brake performance can be somewhat subjective. For me, the ABS delete and EBC pads gave me brakes that I am happy with.
I do a lot of winter sports and snow camping....no ABS in snow and ice seems scary.

I do a lot of winter sports and snow camping....no ABS in snow and ice seems scary.

I'm old and have driven / still drive vehicles with no ABS. Not an issue for me. For me, I drive my cruiser way more in the non-snow and ice and so having the brakes work best in those conditions is more important.

For snow and ice conditions, I'll take the Subaru with winter tires every time. So much better than the cruiser (unless we are talking snow wheeling).

When I was weighing pulling the ABS system, I had the chance to do some road testing during a snow storm. I'm running a 37" tire FYI. With the ABS on (fuse installed), slamming on the brakes would result it no brakes at all, or at least it seemed. That is a sickening feeling. Pulled the fuse and repeated the test. All four tire would lock, and the truck would skid. But I found the brakes to be easy to modulate. So I ran the truck without the ABS fuse the rest of the winter, and pulled the system out that spring.

I did a hydroboost setup in my old Jeep Cherokee, and the brakes (stock dana 44 front and rear) would lock up the 35" tires I was running without issue. The brake components on the 80 are far superior to single piston calipers front/ drum brakes rear I had on the Cherokee. I have considered doing this conversion on my 80, but I rather like the long travel brake pedal offroad, makes it real easy to modulate the brakes.

As you said ABS removal is subjective. My experience was good, however, I also deleted the LSPV, installed slotted disk with good semi-metallic pads and lots of flushing. Now I can lock my 35" Toyo MT's on command.

The pedal still takes more force than I would like and have noticed that the amount of pressure needed to hold it at a light or on an obstacle can easily become fatiguing. This is an interesting upgrade, nice work. I'm sub'd.

D@mn you... I just bought a new Aisin MC this week to install.
I just installed the same couple weeks ago too. but still this is a serious option to have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom