What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (70 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Removed and started the power steering overhaul and rebuilt...
Well... I lost 2 balls for the steering gear box..

Need help in this one, searched the forum and no luck.
Where can I get bearing balls replacement? Proper size for the 97 steering box I'm working on.

Thank mud' family!

This is true, but the Lexus version will still be sold here. There is a rumor that Toyota will bring in a revised, smaller LC at a later date. Something that is quite a bit different from what the Lexus variant will become. Having a clean break will allow them to reintroduce the Land Cruiser to the American market.
Be nice if they brought in something that was not so big and more capable off road. Being an 80s owner, I'd prefer a solid front axle which is something the 70 series offers. I own a 100 series from Lexus. Not sure it is something I'd want to use in the same fashion I use my 80 series. I mostly wheel and hunt by myself and I am more confident in my 80 getting me there and back again. I would likely have the same confidence in a 70 series.

Last edited:
- swapped 3rd row for leather seats, 2nd row still searching for. realized the '91 and '95 use different seatbelt latches and 3rd row in '95 i guess only has buckles for 2 so simply swapped the '91 receivers in and maintained 8 person seating.
- replaced cracked sprayer reservoir and fixed rear sprayer not working (line in rear near jack was submerged in water and mold made its way into tubing through the 1-way valve coupler)
- driver door liner, previous owner many years apparently had just hacked it out
- mounted some period correct ipf flood lights to bumper
- made adapter for license plater to get rear carrier all complete, added bumper tow receiver because i lost my tow when adding the rear carrier.
- installed front hd tie rod assembly

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4682.JPG

IMG_4689.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

Last edited:
Left Sat afternoon to meet a buddy of mine at Linville Gorge NC-105 for some no-hassle-no-family-sleep-in-the-back-of-the-80 impromptu winter-camping. Of course, it was 30 degrees and dropping and what was only supposed to be .5 inches of snow turned into at least 4" in certain spots. The mountain road was complete sheet of ice. Even the fully equipped offroad vehicles (Jeeps, Tacos, Tundras, 4Runners, LCs, GXs) couldn't make it down the mtn road without completely losing control. In the end most just gave up and slowly rode the ditch the whole way. I seemed to be the only fool trying to go up the mtn. road (since I was still trying to get to my buddy's campsite who had arrived earlier in the day when the road was better) Since the 4-wheel-drive-Low and slow approach wasn't working, I switched over and tried the uphill-bob-sledding technique. That got me within .3 of mile from his site. so I hiked the rest of the way. The next day I was able to acquire some chains and recovery gear and life got real good real quick. The chains solved everything. The rest of the weekend was just sitting by the fire, watching everyone slip into the ditch as they slid past, and drinking beer. As the only two rigs on the mtn with snow chains, we would randomly pick people to help and pull them out of the ditch.

Below is my site the first night:

IMG_8418.jpeg

IMG_8417.jpeg

Here's my buddy's campsite, his view, his dog, and his smelly feet:

IMG_7577.jpeg

IMG_8412.jpeg

Here's a pic of my 80 with the rear chains on: (oooo... don't they look pretty!)

IMG_8426.jpeg

Was bored on the auction site this morning and picked up this 97 RAV4 awd for $700 and drove it home just now. It's like a mini version of my 80 series haha. I dig it! Should turbo it and throw mud tires on? :p
resizer.jpg

Also while we were up there, we had the pleasure of randomly meeting another Mud-member @Ashtro. Super-cool guy with great stories and a well-sorted 80 of his own.

IMG_8425.jpeg

And here is another 80 from earlier in the day coming down the icy road "Tokyo Drift" style LIKE A BOSS!!!: (anyone know who this is?)

Also while we were up there, we had the pleasure of randomly meeting another Mud-member @Ashtro. Super-cool guy with great stories and a well-sorted 80 of his own.

View attachment 2560674

And here is another 80 from earlier in the day coming down the icy road "Tokyo Drift" style LIKE A BOSS!!!: (anyone know who this is?)

Ballsy! I like it.

Was bored on the auction site this morning and picked up this 97 RAV4 awd for $700 and drove it home just now. It's like a mini version of my 80 series haha. I dig it! Should turbo it and throw mud tires on? :p View attachment 2560676
What size tire can you fit?

What oil do you run?

What size tire can you fit?

What oil do you run?

Dirt Every Day built a pretty silly Rav4. It was a weird mid engine that sat where the front passenger seat would be. Was pretty fun looking. lol

MV5BOTk1MDdkNjAtYjM0My00YjYxLTk4NzEtYTU3ODJlOTM1NmFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_.jpg

Left Sat afternoon to meet a buddy of mine at Linville Gorge NC-105 for some no-hassle-no-family-sleep-in-the-back-of-the-80 impromptu winter-camping. Of course, it was 30 degrees and dropping and what was only supposed to be .5 inches of snow turned into at least 4" in certain spots. The mountain road was complete sheet of ice. Even the fully equipped offroad vehicles (Jeeps, Tacos, Tundras, 4Runners, LCs, GXs) couldn't make it down the mtn road without completely losing control. In the end most just gave up and slowly rode the ditch the whole way. I seemed to be the only fool trying to go up the mtn. road (since I was still trying to get to my buddy's campsite who had arrived earlier in the day when the road was better) Since the 4-wheel-drive-Low and slow approach wasn't working, I switched over and tried the uphill-bob-sledding technique. That got me within .3 of mile from his site. so I hiked the rest of the way. The next day I was able to acquire some chains and recovery gear and life got real good real quick. The chains solved everything. The rest of the weekend was just sitting by the fire, watching everyone slip into the ditch as they slid past, and drinking beer. As the only two rigs on the mtn with snow chains, we would randomly pick people to help and pull them out of the ditch.

Below is my site the first night:

View attachment 2560663
View attachment 2560664

Here's my buddy's campsite, his view, his dog, and his smelly feet:

View attachment 2560665
View attachment 2560666

Here's a pic of my 80 with the rear chains on: (oooo... don't they look pretty!)

View attachment 2560667
We weren't far to the west facing same conditions near the NC/TN border. Chains would have been great. Went up after Rigs and Coffee in Asheville and got to camp much later than planned.

1611286226973.png

We weren't far to the west facing same conditions near the NC/TN border. Chains would have been great. Went up after Rigs and Coffee in Asheville and got to camp much later than planned.

View attachment 2560982
20210118_120404.jpg

Twinning!!

The fire roads in the southeast turn to ice in winter with the constant melting and thawing. People forget to slow wayyy down. (Driver was fine)

The freight company helped deliver our newborn.

DE23A9EB-FF54-42DC-B8A4-FF88860D7F42.jpeg

15CF0DD6-DB76-457D-A3AC-062B2CD4A3F2.jpeg

The rust spot on the rear hatch below the window was starting to get pretty bad. Decided to try and tackle it myself. My first time attempting any kind of body work. Started by scraping away the rust, then moved to my sander. Then decided I needed a flappy disk on a grinder to really get into it. Found some had rusted pretty much through.. Also discovered some rust forming on the other side that hadn't come down below the window trim yet. At primer before sanding now. Any tips for sanding the primer before applying the paint?

IMG_8987.JPG

IMG_8988.JPG

IMG_8989.JPG

IMG_8990.JPG

IMG_8992.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom