Windshield replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’d like to get my heavily pitted windshield replaced. I was wondering who you guys recommend in the Bay Area.

I read briefly from a thread back in 2007 to ensure the windshield is not a PPG unit due to manufacturing issues and they were known to leak, thus damaging some ECUs.

I could go down south to Los Angeles on Alameda st and get something for less then $200 installed. I’m pretty hesitant to do so.

I received a quote from Safelite out of Chico and it was $285 after a military discount. Have you guys had success with Safelite in the past and what’s their warranty like?

Focus on finding a shop or installer who has experience in windshield replacements on Land Cruisers and or is willing to actually follow the FSM and do it right because inevitably it will be done improper otherwise. Don't let the work be started unless they are going to do it correctly. Ask around your local club, etc for recommendations.

bwesty is right on the mark here. It's following the OEM directions that brings satisfaction over the long run. The 80 is old school and doing the windshield right is old school also. Don't buy it if they say to count on their guarantee, you don't want them doing it again, as they almost surely will have to if not by the book. I used to have scans of the instructions but seem to have lost track of them otherwise I'd be able to send them to you. Maybe someone else? Oh, and a OEM gasket is recommended for the same reason.

Modern methods work well on modern cars that are stiffer to start with and engineered for glue-in glass. The 80 is designed to flex and if the seal is right it will. If it's wrong, then it will still flex, but it may be leaking everytime it rains.

Last edited:
I printed the FSM section in windshield replacement and took it with me to the shop. After they assured me it would be right and decided not to follow it the first time it leaked so they did it again for free. Second time followed the FSM and no leaks 2 years later.

Would you have a that portion handy in a PDF. If not, it’s likely in the FAQ section I’m sure.

Let me get to searching.

I have to agree. I've had several windshields installed by installers approved by my insurance company and each time it is done incorrectly and leaks. They then want to try an re-use the gasket when fixing it the second time etc and it is just not worth the hassle. Get an OEM gasket, make sure you are there when they install it and that they agree to follow the FSM. If they have a guarantee on their work make sure they will also guarantee replacing the gasket with an oem one if they have to come back an fix leaks. It often is worth while taking care of any rust properly that may have developed in that area before a new windshield is replaced. The rust will just be worse the next time if not addressed. Sounds like you have time to get things sorted so take your time to do it right.

Someone just posted a link to a searcheable PDF of the factory service manual from Birfmark that you can download and find the instructions on windshield replacement and print it.

The OEM windshield is still available. Or at least it was 3 months ago. I had mine replaced with OEM gasket and windshield. I also bought a spare of each for my parts stash. Safelite did the install exactly like the FSM instructions.

There was a thread where someone posted a recommendation to GlassTek in Alameda.

GlassTek
1726 Park St, Alameda, CA 94501
(510) 217-8210

I'm also going to get this done this year, my gasket is toast. I have a new gasket but need to pick up some glass. The cheapest local source for OEM glass I've found is Steven's Creek, that was around $450 IIRC.

Keep us posted what you do and how it goes!

I purchased an oem windshield and seal from the whole Roseville Toyota website, was around $500 for both with tax.

Then took it to Kidwell glass in Orangeville, CA. They installed it and put and extra bead of sealant that looks like part of the gasket.

No leaks, so far so good.

While the OEM windshield is still available I think most of us are going with aftermarket units. OEM gasket is nice, along with a large amount of sealant. The windshield and gaskets on these trucks rely heavily on that sealant to seal to the body and prevent leaks. It needs to adhere, not just your standard black silicone sealant. I think improper installation as listed above is why so many leak, not necessarily the brand of the glass (unless you are really going cheap on the glass).

I have a PPG windshield and absolutely no issues, though it was installed by somebody who owns an 80 and also owns a glass shop where I live.

Your sig says you're in Fontana, but you are looking for someone in the Bay Area. Not sure who's in the Bay area, but if you do end up looking in SoCal, Alfredo's Auto Glass in Covina is THE ONLY GUY I'd trust without hesitation. He's done several 80 windshields and the guy is literally (not figuratively) the world champion of auto glass install. There is no better, period. Home - Alfredo's Auto Glass

While the OEM windshield is still available I think most of us are going with aftermarket units. OEM gasket is nice, along with a large amount of sealant. The windshield and gaskets on these trucks rely heavily on that sealant to seal to the body and prevent leaks. It needs to adhere, not just your standard black silicone sealant. I think improper installation as listed above is why so many leak, not necessarily the brand of the glass (unless you are really going cheap on the glass).

I have a PPG windshield and absolutely no issues, though it was installed by somebody who owns an 80 and also owns a glass shop where I live.
Do you have a link the correct sealant to use on these?

@culturedredneck I followed the above post, more pics on page 3. Think I used that same sealant. Did both the windshield side and the edge of the seal around the body itself.

Has been ~5 years and no leaks. Adhesive has held up well also considering it sits outside all summer in 100+ sun

@culturedredneck I followed the above post, more pics on page 3. Think I used that same sealant. Did both the windshield side and the edge of the seal around the body itself.

Has been ~5 years and no leaks. Adhesive has held up well also considering it sits outside all summer in 100+ sun
Thanks! I just had my windshield taken out and put back in due to some body damage repair. Based on the FSM it looks like I can apply the polyurethane after the windshield is in and I might not need to take it back out. Is that correct?

Thanks! I just had my windshield taken out and put back in due to some body damage repair. Based on the FSM it looks like I can apply the polyurethane after the windshield is in and I might not need to take it back out. Is that correct?

I would say yes but i've never replaced the whole thing before. You can peel the seal back enough to get plenty of sealant in there.

Edit: FSM shows it being done just like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom