Holley Sniper EFI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

peytonkristen

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking at upgrading my 76 with the Holley Sniper EFI. I currently have a Weber Carb that I can't seem to keep running right. It's always running too rich and I'm not great with carburetors so... I've been attempting to get in touch with the Holley techs to see exactly what is needed since their application chart doesn't include a Toyota Land Cruiser.

I've read several post here about the Sniper and want to get as much advice as possible before committing to the EFI. I know when finished, everyone says it's a great improvement.

So what do I need for my 2F? The 2300 kit is for the 2 barrel setup. What adapter plate is needed? Fuel Pump and Fuel Lines. Fuel pump block-off plate. What about fuel return?

Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!

1976 FJ40.jpg

I'm looking at upgrading my 76 with the Holley Sniper EFI. I currently have a Weber Carb that I can't seem to keep running right. It's always running too rich and I'm not great with carburetors so... I've been attempting to get in touch with the Holley techs to see exactly what is needed since their application chart doesn't include a Toyota Land Cruiser.

I've read several post here about the Sniper and want to get as much advice as possible before committing to the EFI. I know when finished, everyone says it's a great improvement.

So what do I need for my 2F? The 2300 kit is for the 2 barrel setup. What adapter plate is needed? Fuel Pump and Fuel Lines. Fuel pump block-off plate. What about fuel return?

Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!

View attachment 2399685
There is a very thorough thread in the 40 section about installing snipers. A quick search should give you all the info you want.

Last edited:
I've read several post here about the Sniper and want to get as much advice as possible.

For "as much advice as possible" I'd read "all" the Sniper posts here. There's been quite a few Sniper installs here and many of them documented. there's several options on adapters, fuel pumps, (in tank or inline) and fuel line types and routing.

As I continue to struggle with a Holley projection system, you can buy a lot of Webers and mechanic time for the 2K you will have in it. Just my thought... Its great when it works, but...

Holley projection is allot more "tweaking" than sniper. Now the only reason one would run Projection would (typically) be if you were running high horsepower, nitrous, etc. I was surprised Holley kept making projection, but then realized there were still special performance applications. Projection has always been finicky. (If I had Projection, I would thin about converting to Sniper!)

re Holley projection. I had both the analog and digital versions of Projection 2D. If I'd known what I know now about that system I'd have swapped it back to a carb. I had a thing though for trying to make it work correctly, which it never really did. Currently running a Sniper and it works worlds better than the 2D did. Does have a couple hiccups, but for the most part pretty awesome.

edit: yes you can buy a lot of carbs and mechanical time with the cost of efi. Plus much more reliability with a carb and mechanical fuel pump. All things to consider when you're thinking about swapping over...

Last edited:
I have done three snipers in my last three builds and will never go carb again.
They are fairly straightforward to install and the transformation is amazing!

I have done three snipers in my last three builds and will never go carb again.
They are fairly straightforward to install and the transformation is amazing!

Sent you a PM

Sniper is self learning, self contained and really simple to install. You can tune it from the handheld as well.
Just to add a little. In my experience it's about 80-90% self learning. It takes some time and a laptop to get it really dialed in.

I don't know that I agree with the above, TBI is in fact self learning (runs very well with a stock Chevy S-10 chip), and Sniper does require that you dial it in- - -am I wrong ??? Plus TBI has limp home programming should anything fail, drives home like carburetor. Snipers are the new kid on the block, some report no problems programming it, other not so lucky.

The tbi systems have two options. You have to pay more to get the learning type.
Snipers are far more refined, user friendly, supported, compact, and you can put your own system together for about 1300 vs ~2k for tbi which has less support, no handheld, older tech, giant ecm you have to put somewhere.

‘I’ve done both and Sniper wins by a mile imho.

FYI - For all the Sniper 2300 peoples, be sure you have a backup pre & post fuel pump filter. If while driving your engine starts losing major power and the Sniper's AFR is high with a red box, then shuts down, this is a good sign of a clogged filter.

We put a sniper in another vehicle. The advantage of the sniper is the computer is built into the throttle body, so the install is easier, it's super simplified compared to other injection systems (but you can still use a lap top and the little display is a huge help), and the result looks decent (although it will look huge on a 2f). They aren't perfect, and it's a lot of work to install because you have to put in entirely new fuel system and install O2 sensors, but even with a relatively bad tune, it will beat a carb 9 out of 10 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom