What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (77 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure if it's worth it to you but I have seen where guys get tabs like that welded back on... what year? She looks a lot like my 91 and I DD that girl!!

Greased U joints, finished desmog, and took the tint of the front windows. Will remove from the windows and hatch when the Golf get back from the body shop. Until then the Cruiser is gonna be the DD.
When doing the desmog I removed the IAC and throttle body warming system. It gets pretty cold here in the winter so I kept all the parts, if it starts freezing up I throw the system back on.

View attachment 2200380View attachment 2200381View attachment 2200383

Also found a nice surprise, the PO or a shop over tightened the power steering pump and broke a mounting ear off :(

View attachment 2200385

@DannyG

In my experience "wandering" is more likely going to come from loose wheel bearings, loose/worn suspension bushings, steering rod ends, bad toe adjustment, a suspension lift without proper setup, poor/worn or mis-inflated tires and possibly bad shocks. Others can correct me if I'm wrong but a slack/worn steering box seems more likely to simply make the wandering more problematic since you have to move the wheel further, through the slack, to keep the truck tracking. If your truck wanders I'd start with inspecting your wheel bearings and rod ends for looseness. You can lay under the truck while someone wiggles the steering wheel back and forth and watch/feel each rod end for slack. Then, lift each wheel off the ground and push/pull at 12 and 6 oclock then 9 and 3 oclock to feel for wheel bearing looseness. Loose wheel bearings on the 80 seem fairly common, possibly in part as a result of the FSM torquing process, so I'd always check your wheel bearings if you have steering issues since they can be a way to get a quick improvement.
Thanks jpoole for the in depth response! I purchased the LX back in November/19 and spent my Christmas break rebuilding the knuckles and added new brief. I also installed all new bearings and new t-rods. I torqued everything according to spec. I then had an alignment done to correct the toe. Currently no lift, but it appears that I have the original shocks and bushings. I plan to replace the bushings this summer and the shocks when I do a lift (I may replace the shocks sooner, I haven't decided). However, I will recheck the wheels this weekend just to make sure. Oh, the tires are in great shape and the pressure is spot on. Thanks for the tips!
dg

What is the caster reading?

When I got my alignment done, I did not think to ask. But I will call the tire store tomorrow to see if they happened to enter the numbers in the record for my truck.
thanks,
dg

EDIT - Oops, sorry, I believe your question was not aimed towards me :)

It was directed to whomever has the wander.. Insufficient caster contributes to wandering.

Made a trip the ATL to get a stock bumper and an ARB roof rack. Took the long way home to soak up some of the sun.

Before:
IMG_9030.jpeg

After:
IMG_9056.jpeg

Not sure if it's worth it to you but I have seen where guys get tabs like that welded back on... what year? She looks a lot like my 91 and I DD that girl!!

Its a 92 so basically the same truck! Now that its back together I will probably drive it once a week to work just to keep it exercised.

The pump seams to be on its last legs, making noise and stiff steering. I'm planning on replacing the pump and rebuilding my spare steering box for a full power steering overhaul.

Did it get off the ground?

Temps were good at 78° wind speed weak @ ~30km
Not good enough for flight but lightens the load enough for a sweet ride at speed.

2020_0202_214900_174_Moment.jpg

Its a 92 so basically the same truck! Now that its back together I will probably drive it once a week to work just to keep it exercised.

The pump seams to be on its last legs, making noise and stiff steering. I'm planning on replacing the pump and rebuilding my spare steering box for a full power steering overhaul.
I'm in the same boat, power steering is leaking all over the place, doesnt look to crazy to rebuild it with seals and such. I am thinking about new hoses and a new OEM steering pump just so it's all in top shape. We regularly drive this rig all over Oregon.

I'm in the same boat, power steering is leaking all over the place, doesnt look to crazy to rebuild it with seals and such. I am thinking about new hoses and a new OEM steering pump just so it's all in top shape. We regularly drive this rig all over Oregon.
Don't forget all the dang hoses and the reservoir. After digging into mine 6x times and engaging the gear box next, I'm getting tired of de greasing my undercarriage every 3 months!

Don't forget all the dang hoses and the reservoir. After digging into mine 6x times and engaging the gear box next, I'm getting tired of de greasing my undercarriage every 3 months!
Good point, it doesnt make sense not to rebuild the whole system.... what's this "de greasing" you speak of? I thought that was an OEM anti rust coating that automatically replenishes itself?

Good point, it doesnt make sense not to rebuild the whole system.... what's this "de greasing" you speak of? I thought that was an OEM anti rust coating that automatically replenishes itself?
LOL, not the cosmiline like underbody treatment, just the entire axle, knuckle, frame, steering stabilizer, etc. Coated in dirty ATF. 🤔

LOL, not the cosmiline like underbody treatment, just the entire axle, knuckle, frame, steering stabilizer, etc. Coated in dirty ATF. 🤔
Ohhh.... I thought it was like a CH46, if it's not leaking, then you worry...

Did it get off the ground?

Gull wings won't help you fly but they will make you great a stealing people's picnic lunches!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom