Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You might be surprised, Overland builds get super heavy.

My 100 cracked 8k with two guys gear, few days worth of food/water, 1/2 tank of fuel and some adult beverages.

My 80 would crack7k with the same stuff.

My Taco was 6k before loading gear.

As you can see, I like to weigh my trucks!

Cheers

The Expeditions 7 78 Series trucks are around 8,000 pounds loaded.

You might be surprised, Overland builds get super heavy.

My 100 cracked 8k with two guys gear, few days worth of food/water, 1/2 tank of fuel and some adult beverages.

My 80 would crack7k with the same stuff.

My Taco was 6k before loading gear.

As you can see, I like to weigh my trucks!

Cheers

Yeah, a few 200 guys are dipping into the 9k territory.

If the over/under is 7k for the Troopy, I'll take the 'under'.
Loser buys the celebratory booze when it's done. :D

The Expeditions 7 78 Series trucks are around 8,000 pounds loaded.

That's surprisingly not that bad at all considering how loaded those rigs were... and with a big iron block diesel under the hood. :hmm:

The 1VD weighs 820 pounds.

You might also consider a headlight wiring harness upgrade. The way Toyota wired the headlights, there is a ton of voltage loss.

I am doing this in the PZJ70 so will have more to report back on it soon. I bought a kit rather than build it myself.

Cheers

Ended up with this. Not cheap but looks complete. I should probably order two so I can clean up the BMW's wiring too... meh the Troopy takes precedence.

30815.jpg

Alright, this is the last thing I'm buying for a while... but I've said that before and I've still got a bunch of stuff in the Partsouq cart I need to order...

Anyways; the Troopy's OEM sub-tank has had NGO Latin America diesel in it for 25 years and it's capacity is (probably) around 23 gallons. Instead of cleaning, re-sealing, re-plumbing, and re-wiring the stock sub-tank for use with the petrol L92, I decided to just get one of the new (larger) tanks @joekatana was selling. Pic stole from his thread. Thanks Joe!

Plan is to use the OEM 80-series main tank since the frame is already setup for it and plumb this guy in the back for a total of 63 gallons. That should net me around 950 miles @ 15mpg which I'll hopefully get a little bit more than

_86-5-jpg.1681258

If anyone wants the Troopy's tank we're removing, let me know.

Last edited:
Alright, this is the last thing I'm buying for a while... but I've said that before and I've still got a bunch of stuff in the Partsouq cart I need to order...

Anyways; the Troopy's OEM sub-tank has had NGO Latin America diesel in it for 25 years and it's capacity is (probably) around 23 gallons. Instead of cleaning, re-sealing, re-plumbing, and re-wiring the stock sub-tank for use with the petrol L92, I decided to just get one of the new (larger) tanks @joekatana was selling. Pic stole from his thread. Thanks Joe!

Plan is to use the OEM 80-series main tank since the frame is already setup for it and plumb this guy in the back for a total of 63 gallons. That should net me around 950 miles @ 15mpg which I'll hopefully get a little bit more than

_86-5-jpg.1681258

@TonyP Let me know how you plan to plumb this up to main tank. I also have this tank on my Troopy I bought from @joekatana

@TonyP Let me know how you plan to plumb this up to main tank. I also have this tank on my Troopy I bought from @joekatana

I'm thinking of just using a transfer pump similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CUHY6F...colid=H3ZEDNVKU03O&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It has a 24" dry pump, meaning if the pump is 24" from the fuel, it will still self prime. Otherwise, it'll just pump air and cause cavitation which can damage the pump.

Or, if I want to get fancy, plumb in an external fuel pump and an electroniclly initiated three way valve that ties into the in-tank pump on the main tank. So when I flip a switch, it'll switch off the main tank's pump and turn on the sub-tank pump and feed the L92 from the sub-tank. Kind of like how sub-tanks are from the factory, except with a seperate pump for each tank.

The simple way is just a transfer pump, so I'll probably just go that route. Less chances of things going wrong. Two pumps, twice the chance of something going wrong. Plus all that wiring.

As for filling the tank, for yours, you might have to get creative and use a Y-pipe at the single filler.

Troopys with stock dual tanks have theses though, which mine does:

8Mjxasj.jpg

I set my Taco up with a transfer pump on the sub tank.Wired that to a switch on the dash to turn on the transfer pump.

Worked good except for two things. Transfer pump was slow, I did get one of the biggest ones I could find but it was a fuel pump so didn't move gobs of fuel. It would take 10 minutes or so to transfer all the fuel to the main tank. Since I had the aux tank behind the rear axle and wanted the weight moved as soon as I could I would transfer before the main tank was empty. If I spaced it off while driving it would overfill the main tank. Once this caused the truck to start running bad because it over-pressurized the fuel system.

I never put a sending unit in the aux tank. So I didn't know when it was empty. It was roughly 3/4 or 4/5ths the size of the main tank. Like I say the way I used it was to move half the tank over to the main when the main was say at 1/2, this to get the weight forward. Basically, I had to remember when I transferred the fuel so that I would remember when I was truly on my last 1/2 tank or whatever.

So in my opinion, if we can keep the subtank sending unit and gauge that would be ideal. The over pressurizing thing I would have to give more thought to.

Cheers

We can possibly use the sending unit from the current tank so the sub-tank gauge can be incorporated. Might take a little fiddling though. At that rate we can probably fab an in-tank pump to make transfer super quick.

Looks like the tank has two vents. We can link that to the vent line on the 80-tank to even out pressurization, then run that up to a carbon can. Just brainstorming.

There might be another one from Megazip, that's it. I'm done buying stuff. :D

I started this not wanting a nut and bolt restoration. Then I started going over diagrams, and thought "well might as well replace this" or "thats probably pretty old and worn" or "these bolts are probably going to be haggard". That snowballed into a ton of stuff.

The two good points of news is; I think I have most things bought. Just a radiator, hoses, armor, suspension, seats, sound deadener and stuff to clean up the wiring. Aside from the cargo area build out which will be later. The other good thing; irregardless of time or money spent, this thing is going to be thrashed on hard trails.

Last edited:
Might want to consider the interior build now. Knowing the plan will make current wiring work easier. And be certain you have everything where you want it and don’t have to redo it later. You also might be able to incorporate a second battery and “panel box” into the interior build.

0CD6A6D0-EC80-4FD2-B01D-4846DE7CB8D0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom