Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:D
No real updates, we're still just waiting until we can put it on a boat (later this year) and import the Troopy, legally (Jan).

Since I'm probably going to Korea right after this deployment and won't be able to drive it for a while, I might just re-build the L92 just to ensure reliability. Otherwise, just about every part we need is bought aside from suspension which we'll choose once the body is on the 80-Series chassis.

@TonyP Cool stuff! Thanks for your Service! I, like many here, am super excited to watch this build and then you beat the hell out of it

Less than two months now and this truck ships out for the USA.

No doubt we have some rust repairs to do on it. I been getting my practice on lately with my PZJ70, looking forward to tearing into this Troopy. It will be fun going through it from how it sits now to sand blasted to doing the repairs to seeing how it ends up. Always big rewards when you do this kind of work, it is nice to stand back at the end of it and look at the fruits of your labor. And then you have big piles of new parts to put on!

:)

Cheers

Hell yeah. Looking forward to helping tear into it too when I get back.

I may have to buy (or build) a rotisserie for this project. We are really going to need it to make the body stuff go easy.

Cheers

I saw a modified pair of engine stands used as a rotisserie before. Looked pretty easy and inexpensive to fab up.

The sand blasting shop won't like to receive it as just a body on a trailer or even on a cart. Hard to get it all blasted right too if we don't have it on a rotisserie. Not to mention, I think we are going to have to re-seam seal the whole thing top to bottom and inside and out. Rotisserie just makes sense.

Cheers

Ian is starting to work on shipping the Troopy to the US which got me a hankerin' for ordering new parts...

Got bored on the computer and decided to buy a bunch of L92 rebuild parts. All from Summit and Jegs. They've always been great to deal with.

The L92 only had a bit over 100k on the motor but I require complete relability for this motor. Especially coming from a 200-series that was reliable as it gets. The main concern is the OEM cam bearings, they're known to wear pre-maturely. It's rumored GM hones the bearings for the cam while the bearings are installed. I'll tear the 6.2 down and drop off the bits to get cleaned, checked, heads re-done and assembled in a few months. It'll re-fresh my memory on LS motors as I haven't pulled one apart in over 15 years. I plan on keeping the stock cam. I think 403hp/414tq is enough and I want stock-like drivability and idle. I think I remember one of the spark plug threads in the head are cross-threaded so hopefully they can helicoil, re-chase, or just fix it.

- Fel-Pro gasket/seal kit, for the top end. I already replaced a bunch on the block, so some will be spares as LS style gaskets/seals are mostly re-usable.
- Clevite Rod and Main bearings
- Durabond Cam Bearings
- OEM Chevy Performance LS timing chain
- ARP Rod and Main fasteners
- OEM Chevy L92 Oil Pump (overkill, probably)
- New LS valve springs, seats and retainers. There's mumbling of possible valve spring issues in LS3s, nothing in L92s but I want to be certain. If a spring breaks in these motors the valve drops into the chamber and gets pulverized. I was considering going with a dual spring but considering I'm keeping the stock cam, I didn't see the need beside extra security.
- OEM Chevy Performance Lifters and Lifter guides
- Freeze plugs

Considering an oil cooling option too. Possibly just order another smaller version of the same B&M cooler we're going to use for the transmission.

There's a bunch of odds and ends in my PartSouq cart I might order too. Maybe a new Land Cruiser vinyl floor and a dash pad. Then just random hinges, bolts, strikers, ect... Nothing too exciting.

Last edited:
Took advantage of Black Friday for some stuff I needed (or just wanted). Snagged a grill and headlights incase I end up sticking with the old style front which I think I might. If a deal pops up on an '07+ front, I might go that route though.

Since this thread is lacking pics, some visual aids:

Blower motor

8713060290-0.jpg

Heater

8715060521.jpg

Fancy Pants floor mat that'll probably last less than a year. But it says "Land Cruiser" so that's neat.

5851090L0103-0.jpg

Newer style grill

s-l300.jpg

Decide against the heated Truck-Lites and got these.

164706.jpg

@TonyP what brand headlights did you go with?

Very nice Tony, very nice! You will want the turn signals that go with that grill too, the older style that is on the Troopy now doesn't work with the newer grill.

I had a long nap after turkey so now I am wide awake.

:rolleyes:

My buddy Dave wants the engine out of the donor truck so he will be dragging that over to his shop next week to pull the 1FZ.

Cheers

Very nice Tony, very nice! You will want the turn signals that go with that grill too, the older style that is on the Troopy now doesn't work with the newer grill.

I had a long nap after turkey so now I am wide awake.

:rolleyes:

My buddy Dave wants the engine out of the donor truck so he will be dragging that over to his shop next week to pull the 1FZ.

Cheers

Good call, I'll order those too. :cheers:

You might also consider a headlight wiring harness upgrade. The way Toyota wired the headlights, there is a ton of voltage loss.

I am doing this in the PZJ70 so will have more to report back on it soon. I bought a kit rather than build it myself.

Cheers

You might also consider a headlight wiring harness upgrade. The way Toyota wired the headlights, there is a ton of voltage loss.

I am doing this in the PZJ70 so will have more to report back on it soon. I bought a kit rather than build it myself.

Cheers

Right on. I had to do the same with my old BMW when changing to European headlights. Just a couple relays and whatnot to make sure they get enough juice. I hate wiring so I'll snag harness to make our lives easier. :cheers:

In other news, watching the latest Ronny Dahl video had me reseaching Dana 60s... Someday...

Maybe I missed it earlier but what’re your plans for rear interior space? Any thoughts of some type of pop top conversion?

Maybe I missed it earlier but what’re your plans for rear interior space? Any thoughts of some type of pop top conversion?

Eventually, yes. It's just so damn expensive for a pop-top. But the idea of being able to stand up in the back is very appealing.
I'll try sleeping in the back for a while.

As for cargo area build-out, this Troopy build by Paul Marsh is about perfect, aside from the fridge placement (and the weird zebra print).
Land Cruiser Troopy Camper Conversion: Part 4 of 4 – Wander Libre

Build_97_Land_Cruiser_Troopy_Camper_Conversion.jpg

Build_91_Land_Cruiser_Troopy_Camper_Conversion.jpg

Build_98_Land_Cruiser_Troopy_Camper_Conversion.jpg

Where you think the truck will land weight wise?

I am going to say 7-7.5k without your gear or supplies in it.

:)

Cheers

I've been wondering this too.

I'm thinking it'll be well under 7k.
Figure a stock, empty, 80-series is reported to be around 5k. The Troopy is a tin can compared to the 80 but we'll be adding a little bit of sound deadening of course. The L92 is pretty light being all aluminum... The 1FZ is about 590# vs the LS3/L92 is around 400#.

My 200, loaded with camping gear/supplies, full armor and 200# me in the driver's seat came in at around 7500 (I think). This thing should be much lighter and a little more powerful, hopefully.

So I'll be interested to see what it says at the CAT scale.
Either way, it'll have plenty of power. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom