KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Assembled & installed my KISS drawers this week. Thank you @cruzerDave for creating this system, my kid is impressed:

IMG_7905.JPG

I added hinges for the wings and removed a little bit of material from behind the rear seats to allow them to be opened while the seats are up.

Here are my measurements (right side, hinged edge is at top):
IMG_7901.JPG

After trimming they look like this (left side, hinged edge is at bottom):
IMG_7902.JPG

They now clear the rear seats when opened:
IMG_7903.JPG

Don't look too bad when down:
IMG_7904.JPG

Your measurements may vary so double-check before cutting. But it's not a super-precision mod. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Aloha Dave, curious is shipping to Hawaii is any more? USPS is typically the best. I think based on this thread you have one with rear AC left in stock? Mahalo

Aloha Dave, curious is shipping to Hawaii is any more? USPS is typically the best. I think based on this thread you have one with rear AC left in stock? Mahalo
Answered @MauiCruzer already offline but for those interested or searching the thread - at this time (March 2018) shipping to Alaska is $350 and Hawaii is $325 via FedEx Ground - USPS will not take a package this heavy. Definitely painful, so I would encourage a group buy. If you get 4+ then it can go via pallet for $99 each set, same as what the continental US customers pay ;)

I got my third l-track in and carpeted 1/2" plywood that I installed to get back to a flat top plane. I had never carpeted anything and wasn't sure how that was going to go but was very impressed with how easy it was with the help of the spray adhesive and my friends pneumatic stapler. To secure the carpeted ply I used 1 1/4" deck screws installed from the bottom up. Lowes sells the carpet in 12' lengths and I bought 3'x12' and it worked out perfect with only small scraps left over. (Keep in mind though that I have the two smaller wood pieces on the main section because of my l-track. If you don't want a seam you'll need to get carpet at least 4' wide.)

As far as carpet padding, I didn't use it and don't think its worth the hassle. Even if there was some padding I'm going to want my inflatable sleeping mat anyway. So I'd say ditch the padding and keep things simple. With how expensive line-x is I think carpet is for sure the way to go. With my setup I'm also considering the carpeted sections to be sacrificial and if/when they get dirty or ripped up or gross I can simply unscrew them and replace as needed. I poly'd the included top though so any liquid or goo that spills out should be protected against.

1aYjae7l.jpg

Are you glad you added the 1/2" ply between the L tracks?

Do you have any 80 series kits in stock?
Sorry no, been a run on stock and I am out. Expecting back in stock in 2 weeks. Tough to balance fitting stuff in my garage against when y'all want to order!

Assembled & installed my KISS drawers this week. Thank you @cruzerDave for creating this system, my kid is impressed:

View attachment 1633150

I added hinges for the wings and removed a little bit of material from behind the rear seats to allow them to be opened while the seats are up.

Here are my measurements (right side, hinged edge is at top):
View attachment 1633146

After trimming they look like this (left side, hinged edge is at bottom):
View attachment 1633147

They now clear the rear seats when opened:
View attachment 1633148

Don't look too bad when down:
View attachment 1633149

Your measurements may vary so double-check before cutting. But it's not a super-precision mod. Hope this helps.

Sweet mod there @Ayune I'm going to do the same thing and add a rubber flap to close the gap. The rubber flap wouldn't damage the back of the seat and still provide protection from prying eyes (I store stuff on the sides of my drawer system).

Sweet mod there @Ayune I'm going to do the same thing and add a rubber flap to close the gap. The rubber flap wouldn't damage the back of the seat and still provide protection from prying eyes (I store stuff on the sides of my drawer system).

I also put felt tape between the wing supports and the wings to keep them from squeaking. Felt tape is your friend on older vehicles like this, hunt down those interior squeaks and felt 'em!

IMG_8221.JPG

Finished installing my KISS drawers today; they have been a work in progress since last week since I started with a few small mods. I didn't do anything cosmic: I finished it with carpet from a Home Depot indoor/outdoor "rug" that worked very well; I cut the P/S wing to create two wings (will elaborate in the next post); trimmed the D/S wing to flip up without having to lower the back seat (H/T @Ayune); cut a rubber mat from HD to serve as a liner for the drawers; fabbed up a pull tab for the D/S wing; and added the magnetic motion lights from Amazon to the inside of the drawer (been done on here already but great mod).

What I'm a bit proud of is the inverter I installed flush with the drawer door and the "secret" storage compartment I made. See pics below; more to follow in next post.

IMG_9057.jpg
IMG_9062.jpg
IMG_9067.jpg

I'm pacing out a dual battery install, but I knew I wanted to figure out how to integrate an inverter with these drawers. I searched until I found the right style, meaning a workable size with mounted feet along the sides and not on the front/back of the inverter body. I got this Ampeak 1000W inverter from Amazon and it was perfect: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NZ8DSB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After measuring things out I used a jigsaw to cut a hole the size of the inverter face into the P/S drawer front, ensuring it cleared both the top and bottom rails. Then I just pushed the front through the hole until it was flush with the front and screwed it down with #10x5/8 flat head screws.

I am mounting a Blue Sea fuse block under the P/S wing that the inverter will get its power from. Yes, the cables will have to be long enough to extend with the drawer but that's not an issue. Pics:

IMG_9063.jpg
IMG_9064.jpg
IMG_9066.jpg

Finally, I used some nylon webbing from old straps to make a pull tab for the D/S wing. Pushed in some rivets and screwed it in on either side.

Better, though, is my new secret stash space (not so secret if I'm sharing it here, I guess!). I took out my sub enclosure when I removed the third row seat belts (I replaced the OEM sub with a Pyle sub a few weeks back but it still sucks; going to put in a powered Bazooka later) which left a big space behind the speaker grille. I detached the speaker grill and did some trimming with a Dremel so I could glue in rare earth magnets at the corners. Now the grill pops off and on, and I have usable stash space behind it. Going to put some Dynamat in there on the inside of the quarter panel and use some high density foam, like you find in a Pelican case, to create soft walls inside the space.

IMG_9058.jpg
IMG_9059.jpg
IMG_9071.jpg

Finally ordered mine! Will use it as a sleep platform for short camping trips with the kid in the Rocky Mountains - so tired of packing/unpacking all the tent/cot gear and cleaning/drying the canvas springbar for short trips.

Ready to finish checking out now and just noticed...Did the price just go up by $50? I could have sworn when I put it in my cart last week it was $599!
Regrettably yes. The price has held steady for 2 years but inflation and materials have not. In addition there has been a jump in aluminum price, much more than merited by the tariffs if you ask me, reeks of the same sort of profit-taking the big oil companies do whenever they can find an excuse... That left me making less and less on a product that never made very much in the first place, so, yeah, prices are up and there to stay for the foreseeable future. If I ever quit the day job and go full time Overlanding Supplier I could build volume and bring that down a decent amount, but that ain't happening out of my garage! ;)

Last edited:
Ready to finish checking out now and just noticed...Did the price just go up by $50? I could have sworn when I put it in my cart last week it was $599!

Boy at last I got lucky this time - ordered right before the price change!

But no one is always lucky. The end of last year I patiently waited for a possible Springbar tent sale for Thanksgiving, nothing happened, then waited for Christmas and nothing, and New Year and nothing. At last in the Feb. a $70ish price raise came due to material costs :eek:

Just ordered mine. Was gonna get sliders before HIH8 but decided I’ll get more use out of these.

I painted the cabinets in my kitchen not to long ago and used a self leveling paint from Sherwin Williams, best paint ever. Might try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom