Drawer System Alternatives and Considerations For The 100 Series Land Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Les Summer

SILVER Star
Threads
I believe anyone who owns or has owned and loved a LC100 has dreamed of getting a drawer system installed. There are many great options out there; ARB, AUGU, Dobinson's, Truck Vault, etc. If you are like me, and it would take an unreasonably long time to save up for one of these systems, which can range anywhere from 1300.00 to 5000.00 and up once you start adding accessories, then post your ideas for a less expensive alternative.

Drawer systems are awesome, but they add a lot of weight, and become a permanent part of your vehicle. If you do serious over landing, and have a realistic budget which allows you to get one, and you don't mind losing the furniture hauling space in the back of your LC, then I say go for it!

I am more interested in security, portability, and simplicity. I want something I can secure things in and rest easy at night knowing no one will get in it. I also want something that I can store a decent amount of stuff in, that'll make it worth the weight and space it takes up in the back of my truck. I want to be able to remove it too, with no major hassle, if need be. I believe what I'm talking about is a strong box. The one I've posted below is mountable by holes pre-drilled in the bottom, and comes with mounting hardware you'd have to retro fit to your LC100. The price is reasonable, and the hardware is good looking. The only downside is it does not have that concealed look in the back of your cruiser. If someone looks in the back they will see you have a box, which will lead them to think of something being in it, but it is a strong looking box, which hopefully will deter. If anyone knows of any good tonneau options, that won't break the bank, I'm sure someone would be interested in knowing about that.

Last edited:
Like that box but thinking drawers are better option for me. Considering construction with aluminum frame and wooden drawers... That box is super easy to remove if needed compared to drawers.

There's always the factory tonneau cover if you can find one:

1000002787.jpg

FWIW, The base ADGU (Air Down Gear Up) platform only is super light, removes in <10 minutes and is entirely constructed with metal to metal fasteners so it can be removed, installed, disassembled time and time and time again. Combine that with under-bed bins and you have a very light and discrete storage setup.

Not as cheap as the Strong Box, but still less than a typical 90k mile service on a 100.

A sheet of cardboard is a good super-budget way to hide stuff. Size it right and you can get it to nestle kinda of like the OEM cargo cover.

I think this largely comes down to asking what you're trying to do. A strong box or something similar creates a somewhat thief resistant cavity, but give a determined thief a pry bar and 5 minutes alone and I bet they're into that thing. If they've got a portable grinder, it'll take under a minute. I'm not sure if that sort of box provides much usable storage organization so much as a portable locking cabinet concept.

Organization/sleeping/cooking/security all tend to get rolled up into one big "drawer" category, but most setups are much better at one of those than the others. IMO, almost none of them provide much in the way of security beyond keeping kids out and valets honest. It's not very practical to mount a bona fide safe in the car.

For the tonneau you also need both inside quarter panel plastic trims - there are notches where the tonneau attaches that are not there on USA cruisers. The bulk will easily cost just as much in shipping.

FWIW, The base ADGU (Air Down Gear Up) platform only is super light, removes in <10 minutes and is entirely constructed with metal to metal fasteners so it can be removed, installed, disassembled time and time and time again. Combine that with under-bed bins and you have a very light and discrete storage setup.

Not as cheap as the Strong Box, but still less than a typical 90k mile service on a 100.

A sheet of cardboard is a good super-budget way to hide stuff. Size it right and you can get it to nestle kinda of like the OEM cargo cover.

I think this largely comes down to asking what you're trying to do. A strong box or something similar creates a somewhat thief resistant cavity, but give a determined thief a pry bar and 5 minutes alone and I bet they're into that thing. If they've got a portable grinder, it'll take under a minute. I'm not sure if that sort of box provides much usable storage organization so much as a portable locking cabinet concept.

Organization/sleeping/cooking/security all tend to get rolled up into one big "drawer" category, but most setups are much better at one of those than the others. IMO, almost none of them provide much in the way of security beyond keeping kids out and valets honest. It's not very practical to mount a bona fide safe in the car.
I’m not a fan of the extra $150.00 for a lock option on the drawer

Tinting your windows does wonders for hiding things, with the side benefit of keeping the truck cooler.

Goose gear makes some beautiful options for storage for the LC100. I'd like to steal the idea, and make a storage system for in front of the rear seats, which does not require removing the seats.

fwiw I’ve got the dobinsons drawers with fridge slide and find it to be pretty useless. It’s nice to store tools in, but I lose so much capacity in the rear that trips to Costco are a challenge.

fwiw I’ve got the dobinsons drawers with fridge slide and find it to be pretty useless. It’s nice to store tools in, but I lose so much capacity in the rear that trips to Costco are a challenge.
I think the most useless space in my truck is the space behind my front seats. I want a high quality insert to go there, that I can lock. I rarely ever transport anyone in my back seats. I could see something like goose gear does, but doesn't delete my rear seats. bolt down point of interest could be using the bolt locations at the rear for the seats. I want something that's about 9 to 10 inches tall with a wide hatch, so i could fit a whole tool box down in there, or large pieces of fishing gear.

Something like a tailgate mod, without the cutting. I'd be willing to pay around $4 or $500 for it if it's well made.

I think the most useless space in my truck is the space behind my front seats. I want a high quality insert to go there, that I can lock. I rarely ever transport anyone in my back seats. I could see something like goose gear does, but doesn't delete my rear seats. bolt down point of interest could be using the bolt locations at the rear for the seats. I want something that's about 9 to 10 inches tall with a wide hatch, so i could fit a whole tool box down in there, or large pieces of fishing gear.

Something like a tailgate mod, without the cutting. I'd be willing to pay around $4 or $500 for it if it's well made.
That could definitely be cool. I’ve got 4 buckets in mine so no platform option behind the front.

Agreed!
I plan on deleting the entire rear seating and building a storage and sleeping platform.
I lived out of my OG Audi allroad for 4 years and the rear seats were down the entire time. Don't even think I had anyone sit in the passenger front seat either. Have even considered deleting the pass front to build a fridge platform, but that may be over doing it.
That Goose Gear is nice but way too pricey. Since I have the skillset and tools I'll be building my own kit.

Agreed!
I plan on deleting the entire rear seating and building a storage and sleeping platform.
I lived out of my OG Audi allroad for 4 years and the rear seats were down the entire time. Don't even think I had anyone sit in the passenger front seat either. Have even considered deleting the pass front to build a fridge platform, but that may be over doing it.
That Goose Gear is nice but way too pricey. Since I have the skillset and tools I'll be building my own kit.
Meh, too expensive. at 400 bucks I'd be all in.

There is a BOSS strong box that'll fit nice in that space behind the seats. 7125-7413 - Top Loader — BOSS StrongBox - https://www.bossstrongbox.com/toploaders/7125-7413

7125-7413 - Top Loader​

$728.00
  • 41.5"W x 10"D x 8"H
  • 16 Gauge Cold-Rolled Steel
  • Weight: 46 lbs.
  • MADE IN AMERICA
  • Lifetime Guarantee

Last edited:
Air down gear up has a nice kit.

Not sure if Landshark Outfitters is still making drawer kits- but that is another modular set up at a reasonable cost.

I recently saw something on victory 4x4 that looked very nice

I made a custom sized cabinet that has a hidden locking mechanism on the side just for this purpose. Hides my tools, keeps them in one spot should I flip over and slides out so I can grab them. Enough to "keep the honest man out." The whole cabinet is screwed to a piece of 3/4 plywood that is bolted to the frame where the rear seats would be bolted. A rubber doormat from Lowes fits perfectly on top. I made a slide for my cooler beside it that can be used to carry other containers or boots etc.
IMG_3848.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3855.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

Last edited:
I made a custom sized cabinet that has a hidden locking mechanism on the side just for this purpose. Hides my tools, keeps them in one spot should I flip over and slides out so I can grab them. Enough to "keep the honest man out." The whole cabinet is screwed to a piece of 3/4 plywood that is bolted to the frame where the rear seats would be bolted. A rubber doormat from Lowes fits perfectly on top. I made a slide for my cooler beside it that can be used to carry other containers or boots etc.
Everyone wants to see it 😄😃

Last edited:
ok, wait, what's this. Cool. only 11 lbs. check it out. I think I can squeeze this behind my passenger seat. One of these in Matt black excites me more than a drawer system. light, portable, stores a ton of stuff, remove from vehicle when not in use. stackable, beautiful, and comes in 12 different sizes!

Last edited:
I made a custom sized cabinet that has a hidden locking mechanism on the side just for this purpose. Hides my tools, keeps them in one spot should I flip over and slides out so I can grab them. Enough to "keep the honest man out." The whole cabinet is screwed to a piece of 3/4 plywood that is bolted to the frame where the rear seats would be bolted. A rubber doormat from Lowes fits perfectly on top. I made a slide for my cooler beside it that can be used to carry other containers or boots etc.View attachment 3477908

View attachment 3477909

View attachment 3477910

View attachment 3477912

View attachment 3477914
wow you really went for it. lol, I have the same yeti (poor mans fridge).

Here is a drawer system I am seriously looking at buying. It weighs approximately 75lbs and very affordable compared to every other option out there.

Screenshot_20231226-193415~3.png

Screenshot_20231227-091020~2.png

Screenshot_20231226-193425~2.png

Screenshot_20231226-193415~4.png

Screenshot_20231226-193536~2.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom