Looking For Spec Sheets To Build A Drawer System (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have seen a lot of people putting the dibinsons drawer system in their rig and i really enjoy seeing the results. I would like to build it myself but i cant find the specs online, not in this forum. Does anyone have a build sheet of the drawer system? I cant justify the 1,700 spend when i can get it cut from a shop and delivered for much less. Please let me know if you have any input!

I would like to build the drawers out of aluminum and not wood so i can maximize space and also save on weight.

thanks for any tips!

I know that there are numerous “DIY drawer build threads” on this sub forum, many of which are fairly well documented.

The first one that I pulled up on a search:

I know that there are numerous “DIY drawer build threads” on this sub forum, many of which are fairly well documented.

The first one that I pulled up on a search:

yes I was looking at that one previously, but I am looking to build mine out of sheet metal and the wood measurements are completely different.

I was not able to find anyone who built their drawers out of sheet metal which is why I started this thread

I suspect if you're handy enough to build your own platform ( out of sheet metal ) you'll have no problem measuring the interior space. I don't think i've seen any specific thread with all the measurements needed.

I'd be interested in learning of your assembly method for this project.

A few years back I did a lot of .063" steel square tube construction in a van build. I wanted it to be modular, and be able to tear down and reassemble if I ever needed to repair or make amendments to the design. It was quite unique compared to the other builds out there, and I'm now seeing quite a few now follow. But honestly, in the end if I were to do it again wood would have been more practical

I suspect if you're handy enough to build your own platform ( out of sheet metal ) you'll have no problem measuring the interior space. I don't think i've seen any specific thread with all the measurements needed.
you are right, but i was looking for an easy way out. Well, I suppose ill measure and get everything done and create a new thread with the project! Ill make sure to get the pricing of everything from the fab shops and also will supply the plans on etsy/ebay once complete!

The nice thing about working with wood is that with a few basic tools you can accomplish quite a lot in a HD/Lowes parking lot.
A lot of bus and van builders do this all the time so they can travel while they build.

Built mine pretty much based off of the thread above. I went the wood route as well for the added weight and sturdiness of the 3/4" birch. Mine are a little bit taller than most others to maximize drawer space. They're not perfect by any means but they've been great so far. I've got mine written down somewhere if you're interested.

IMG_6534.jpg
_DSC4431.jpg

Not aluminum but this deal is tough to beat for $899. Wings extra.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 1.09.54 PM.png

You're likely not going to find any specific details on the drawer systems offered by any manufacturer. You'd really be shooting yourself in the foot business wise to make such info public.

That said I built mine out of wood. 5/8" plywood for the majority with 3/4"
Maple for the drawer faces. I used UHMWPE for the slides instead of traditional slides. This saved weight and space.

Overall, even with the spaced lost with wood (which is minimal honestly) the organization gained is well worth it, IMO. Also, I think once you crunch the numbers the volume/ space difference wood and aluminum will be minimal at best. Aluminum will require some form of framework and possibly traditional drawer slides. Wood and UHMWPE on the other hand requires neither and there is little space wasted really. Just my 2 cents of course.

You can save considerable weight using wood, if you don't use plywood. The glue alone accounts for quite a lot of the weight. Plus, with solid wood panels, you don't have to use special fasteners; you can drill into the edges (ala Kreg stuff), if you want to. I wouldn't, but you can. Glue and simple large dovetails will be stronger, lighter and faster. You can get by with panels that are, on average, 75% of the thickness you'll need with plywood; just don't use that shelfboard crap they sell at HD or Lowe's.

My son is completing his set for his 80; he insisted using plywood, despite my recommendations. It's 3'x3'x1' high, with two drawers and a full width lidded pocket in the rear (toward the front of the truck). It weighs so much it takes both of us to lift it. I did finally convince him to use standard road case hardware; I highly recommend using that, especially the corners if you're using plywood. FWIW, road cases are built from 1/4" and 3/'8" plywood, and they hold up to a lot of abuse, but they're considered somewhat disposable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom