LC100/LX470 Drawer System Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have photos of u-bolt mounting solution for their drawer system?

I've recently picked up an LX470 and am in the process of designing a min-viable drawer system / sleeping platform for it. I've watched many videos and searched through much of these forums, and have found that people consider mounting their drawer system to 3rd floor seat attachment points with u-bolts as the most sturdy and straight-forward solution. The thing is, I can't find any actual photos of how people accomplish this. If you have seen it in a forum or video, or have a photo of your own, please post or link here!

P.s. this is what I've mocked up for the design so far:

d_s_1.JPG

d_s_2.JPG

Thanks in advance!

I removed the metal plates that bolt to the floor around the seat mounts and bolted directly into those nut inserts. 8 bolts in total. Very strong! No u bolts needed.

I used a different route: just four turnbuckles attached to the drawer system (basically each corner), and connected to the 4 tie down shackles in the car. Sturdy as heck, and super easy to back them off and remove the drawers.

This is what I did with my drawers. Simple and easy to get to. I also made my drawers is two halfs so that I can easily remove half and put a seat back in if necessary.

I removed the metal plates that bolt to the floor around the seat mounts and bolted directly into those nut inserts. 8 bolts in total. Very strong! No u bolts needed.
^^^this

Does anyone have photos of u-bolt mounting solution for their drawer system?

I've recently picked up an LX470 and am in the process of designing a min-viable drawer system / sleeping platform for it. I've watched many videos and searched through much of these forums, and have found that people consider mounting their drawer system to 3rd floor seat attachment points with u-bolts as the most sturdy and straight-forward solution. The thing is, I can't find any actual photos of how people accomplish this. If you have seen it in a forum or video, or have a photo of your own, please post or link here!

P.s. this is what I've mocked up for the design so far:

View attachment 3400325
View attachment 3400327

Thanks in advance!

If you ever start selling these, I can volunteer my LX470 for science. LOL. What's the non-drawer section, just a lid you can open for storage?

I used a different route: just four turnbuckles attached to the drawer system (basically each corner), and connected to the 4 tie down shackles in the car. Sturdy as heck, and super easy to back them off and remove the drawers.

I tried that to start but the drawers tended to squirm around a bit when off road (I would often have to shift them around to open the wings). Ended up bolting them to the floor and it’s 100% solid ever since.

Along with the 8 bolts into the floor nutserts I also have a turnbuckle on each corner going to the d rings but I didn't mention that as I figured most people would do that anyway.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I’m going to go down the route of bolting directly to the 3rd row attachment points.

Slides, latches, hinges, and upholstery are all on hand. Just finished cutting all the primary sections of wood and cutouts for the latches.

Next up is coating the wood with water sealant, screwing & glueing together, attaching slides, drawers and hinges, and upholstering.

@choyota correct, the non-drawer section in the back is a compartment that opens up with a lid attached by hinges, similar to the wings that open up on the sides.

1. Be careful with bolt length as there is fuel tank under some of the third row seat attachments.

2. Ensure you have sufficient clearance under the open drawer to clear the tailgate, including allowance for flex when a drawer is full.
IMG_1296.JPG

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I’m going to go down the route of bolting directly to the 3rd row attachment points.

Slides, latches, hinges, and upholstery are all on hand. Just finished cutting all the primary sections of wood and cutouts for the latches.

Next up is coating the wood with water sealant, screwing & glueing together, attaching slides, drawers and hinges, and upholstering.

@choyota correct, the non-drawer section in the back is a compartment that opens up with a lid attached by hinges, similar to the wings that open up on the sides.

Completely curious on what you come up with, hope you're documenting all the materials and measurements because I might ask you for them! LOL

As you can't back-drill through the underside of the floor, an easy way I've found to locate the holes in the base board is:
1. cut your board to shape.
2. install your new, longer bolts into the applicable holes in the floor with them slightly proud of the floor,
3. place the board on the floor and hit with a mallet so the bolt heads mark the underside.
4. Drill holes and trial fit
5. Then proceed to build up your drawers onto the base board.

Last edited:
Here is another idea if you wish to keep the second-row seats readily available for use.

This deck-board simply straps down across the folded seats (for my dogs). In my case I have a solid, half-height cargo barrier installed, but for a full-length sleeping arrangement you would simply line up the deck with the leading edge of the drawers. Play with drawer height to keep it all level.

The wheel-arch cutouts in the rear corners are so the board will stand upright behind the seats when not in use.

Takes literally one minute to fit into place.

Note this is an Australian spec vehicle and US seats & trim may differ.

IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_1705.JPG
IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG

Thanks for the comments, feedback, and recommendations everyone!

Little update on this build: towards the end of the fall I finished building the drawings and primary enclosure, upholstering, and installed in the vehicle to start taking it in trips.

I'd still like to finish building out the compartment behind the drawers, and add wings to the sides so the entire system can be a single platform spanning the width of the trunk.

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom