Patina Louise gets seduced off the island

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
Or, more like her adoption has been finalized...

My wife and I have been on the hunt for a red 60 series for the better part of two years. The search finally came to an end last week.

Some of you may have seen the red 60 that @dogfishlake purchased last year. If so, I'll let you know that I have been using subliminal messaging with Patrick, trying to convince him to sell us his beloved 60, appropriately named 'Patina Louise'.

Well, in a moment of weakness, he gave in, and decided to entrust us with her care. We drove down last week and picked her up. On the 90 mile drive home, I stopped and added a few quarts of oil. By the time we were home, it wouldn't register on the dipstick any longer.

Patrick had already replaced the side cover gasket and oil pan gasket. I ordered the crank pulley seal and started tearing it apart.

We replaced the following right away:

Crank pulley seal
Spark Plugs
Wires
Distributor cap
Rotor
Fuel filter
Fuel pump

That sealed up the oil leaks, and we took Louise on her first adventure into Ludington. She runs like a champ.

60_1.jpg
60_2.jpg
60_3.jpg

She definitely needs some love, but we are smitten, and are very appreciative of Patrick for letting us take care of her. Her name will remain 'Patina Louise'.

Lol. When I brought her to your place for the Lake Michigan Land Cruisers meet up this summer, people were freaking out about the big mark it left whenever we stopped. I couldn't not bring her along, just ran through a lot of oil.

Glad you got it fixed and proper. I hope you have years of fun and I look forward to seeing her.

Now for that special white 60 series for me.......

Very nice 60. Nice rack on louise by the way. Hows the Prime Rib?

Glad you finally found the right one! Looks great and you should have plenty of time with her in the garage hiding from your upcoming michigan winter to fix her up :)

Very nice 60. Nice rack on louise by the way. Hows the Prime Rib?
Thanks, we love it!

Never had the prime rib, only sushi and cocktails. Sushi special is good.

I do feel a bit like I'm on an island sometimes. Pretty much the only person with cruisers in my town is me! Just remember, I didn't kick lovely Louise off (she's way too beautiful for that), you lured her away! Glad you did, because she's getting the attention she deserves!

Enjoy my friend!

I do feel a bit like I'm on an island sometimes. Pretty much the only person with cruisers in my town is me! Just remember, I didn't kick lovely Louise off (she's way too beautiful for that), you lured her away! Glad you did, because she's getting the attention she deserves!

Enjoy my friend!

Very true, I know it was a difficult decision. She’s already become the favorite amongst the family.

Patina Louise received some FJ62 mirrors, as a nice upgrade. Those came from a "parts" 62 I recently purchased.

Met up with my buddy Patrick, aka @dogfishlake yesterday. He had the original chrome wheels from Louise, and I was able to return the original wheels from his 78.
So, we met at his house to pick up the wheels. Headed over to the tire shop to have the new wheels swapped in, and Pat needed a valve stem repaired and a spare mounted for his Piggy. 2 glorious cruisers on the back road. A pic I took of Pats 55.

17113.jpeg

Had some dinner and brews while we waited. I'm already loving the new wheels.

IMG_1637.jpg

Looks great! That was a fun time.

Well, the time has come...Patina Louise has been leaking coolant down the driver side of the block all summer long. I assumed it was the freeze plug, but upon closer inspection it appears to be coming from above the freeze plug...so my guess is the head gasket. I pulled her into the barn and started the tear down. I also figured it to be a good time for installing the crack free dash nd new carpet that has been on a shelf in my shop for over a year...

Not sure what route I am going to take. I'm pulling the entire engine for two reasons:

1. Check and make sure the block is not cracked
2. If the block is not cracked, I am going to replace all the oil seals...again. It's still leaking like a sieve. And, I would like to paint everything under the hood to make the engine look new.

If the block is cracked, I have no idea what route I will take. Maybe a rebuilt 2F with Holley Sniper, or swap for a 1FZ or LS. I'm open to thoughts/suggestions. It's now our winter project.

Here she is after starting to tear her down:

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the time has come...Patina Louise has been leaking coolant down the driver side of the block all summer long. I assumed it was the freeze plug, but upon closer inspection it appears to be coming from above the freeze plug...so my guess is the head gasket. I pulled her into the barn and started the tear down. I also figured it to be a good time for installing the crack free dash nd new carpet that has been on a shelf in my shop for over a year...

Not sure what route I am going to take. I'm pulling the entire engine for two reasons:

1. Check and make sure the block is not cracked
2. If the block is not cracked, I am going to replace all the oil seals...again. It's still leaking like a sieve. And, I would like to paint everything under the hood to make the engine look new.

If the block is cracked, I have no idea what route I will take. Maybe a rebuilt 2F with Holley Sniper, or swap for a 1FZ or LS. I'm open to thoughts/suggestions. It's now our winter project.

Here she is after starting to tear her down:

View attachment 2166080

View attachment 2166081

View attachment 2166082

Good luck man, sounds like you are taking the safer road by pulling the entire engine. You’ve got a great space to do the work, wow

You should change the thread title to 2F gets kicked... they’re great engines and I’ll keep mine going in the truck as long as I can, but the day it needs to come out - it’s not going back in.

Good luck man, sounds like you are taking the safer road by pulling the entire engine. You’ve got a great space to do the work, wow
Thanks, man. I've got a clutch that slips in 4th gear going up hills and though I've replaced every oil seal on the truck, it still leaks like crazy. I figure now is the time. Plus, I can check and see if the engine is in good shape.

Yeah, blessed with the barn, it's been fun and I've loved having it. Moved here from D.C. 4 years ago...it's cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom