looking for a rear hatch tent idea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
Is there a rear hatch tent developed so I can sleep in the rear of my fj60 but still get up (at night if necessary) My wife may need a potty break at night if camping and I hate the thought of her climbing down a RTT ladder. We're over 50 years old so not going to climb ladders at night to take a bathroom break. Also not fun to have to bundle up...ie get dressed to walk to a bathhouse.

I have a 10x10 canopy that pulls up to my raised hatch rather nicely providing shade during hot days. I would just like to extend that idea into a tent that attaches to the roof or ladder rack and hooks to the side of the truck. really my main reasoning is to put a porta potty in the attached tent so she doesn't have to hike to a bathroom.

If nothing exists commercially I may experiment with canvas tarps attached to the canopy and then attached to the truck.

I've looked at the OZ type of tent alot. it seems like the fly could be attached to the open hatch and the awning side walls could be added to fill in the gap between the tent on the ground and the open end of the 6X series. I got a sweet deal on a twice used Trek canvas 9x14 tent, so I'll prolly just pitch it behind the rig and throw a tarp up between the tent and hatch. besides that, one of those folding vehicle mounted rear facing awnings with walls might also work well...just a couple thoughts I've had to cover the same ground...HTH

Amazon sells them tents that "seal" to a open pickup truck w/camping shell.... I think that would be fairly easy to adapt to your needs. Hope you find what you need!

Is there a rear hatch tent developed so I can sleep in the rear of my fj60 but still get up (at night if necessary) My wife may need a potty break at night if camping and I hate the thought of her climbing down a RTT ladder. We're over 50 years old so not going to climb ladders at night to take a bathroom break. Also not fun to have to bundle up...ie get dressed to walk to a bathhouse.

I have a 10x10 canopy that pulls up to my raised hatch rather nicely providing shade during hot days. I would just like to extend that idea into a tent that attaches to the roof or ladder rack and hooks to the side of the truck. really my main reasoning is to put a porta potty in the attached tent so she doesn't have to hike to a bathroom.

If nothing exists commercially I may experiment with canvas tarps attached to the canopy and then attached to the truck.

Saw the napier stuff at SEMA last year I think it might be along the lines of what you are looking for

Retailers - Napier Outdoors

Napier is what I have. It works great for traveling with my daughter. The more I use it the more I like it. This weekend with the snow I realized it had a "boat bottom floor" sewn in. Really nice knowing It will keep water out if it rains and in a low spot. @g-man If you'd like to set it up on your truck I'll be glad to get with you.

Here a few random pics of it below.

IMG_3615.JPG

I'll also add, the screen room and the SUV connection zip off leaving you with a regular 10x10 dome tent.

IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_3486.JPG

Another really good source of hatch type coverings is in the VW minibus community....just Google hatch tents for VW and some cool images come up....some that are available in the US

Last edited:
oh man, those BE busses are cool:p

Hey @half k cruiser,

Have you successfully adapted it for use w/ swing outs? How?

It would all depend on your swingouts and what accessories you have on them. There is enough room in the vestibule that you could probably do 50/50 swings depending on the angle when they are open.

checkout beej posts. He has converted a tent for that purpose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom