gazelle tent set up in rain? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Other than single-wall tents, every tent I've ever owned had to be set up before you could put the fly on. Putting the fly on takes maybe 30 seconds, and it sits on top of the mesh part while you do it. Not really an issue in my experience.

Other than single-wall tents, every tent I've ever owned had to be set up before you could put the fly on. Putting the fly on takes maybe 30 seconds, and it sits on top of the mesh part while you do it. Not really an issue in my experience.
Hilleberg have double wall tents that set up as one. They are very quick to set up and far easier to do in strong winds than a traditional tents with a fly.

so "quick" = the answer (sounds like a 2 person operation). I guess the quick set up of the gazelle meets this answer. actual rain experience will be the acid test.

or if really pooring, hunker down in the cruzer (front seats)....been there/done that = s***ty night sleep.

Last edited:
Hilleberg have double wall tents that set up as one. They are very quick to set up and far easier to do in strong winds than a traditional tents with a fly.
My gazelle is my "overland model" tent....drive like crazy in daylight, set up quick in the light evening, sleep, wake up, quick tear down, boggie.....repeat.

I have a Redverz Atacama Expedition Motorcycle (Redverz Atacama Expedition Motorcycle Tent Green - https://redverz.com/atacama/) double wall tent (similar to a hilleberg) for my "base camp model" camp. I can set up solo in 15m, but that is a pain for the overland runs. Tent is designed for the motorcycle touring crowd = light, tall, weather tested, etc. those folks actually drive their bikes into to the vestibule. Only needs 4 stakes for initial setup. If wind/rain anticipated there is about a zillion stabilizing lines that can be set. First hand I can say it handles 60mph winds w/o issue.

The only mod to the redverz i did as take an old colman standup 2 pole tent ($60 20 yrs ago), and make it so it would a) use the waterproof tube floor as a ground tarp for the vestibule, b) use the non-water proof portion as a protective floor for the sleeping quarters (protection against sharp objects, etc.). During tear down, I roll up the tent such that the waterproof section "burrito-izes" the tent for water resistant travel (like on a roof rack). adds some weight, nothing the cruiser can't handle.

that's not my story and I'm not stickin to it :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom