TJM T17 Bumper is coming Back! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HI Guys,

I just wanted to clear some things up.

Not only is TJM still in the US, TJM now has an engineering team in the US dedicated to developing products specifically for the American market. I am one of the American engineers working in the US. We work directly with TJM's engineering team in Australia and have access to all of their archives. TJM is no longer exclusive with Summit Racing. We are doing our own distribution here in the US.

I am the engineer responsible for the rework of this 100 Series Bumper. We started out just wanting to start producing the old T17, but decided to do some updates to it, and as Paul has stated, once we did the test fit, we made even more changes. We ended up adding the signature TJM T-Slots for use with a High Lift Jack. The wings are no longer bolt on and have a sleeker look. All the forward facing openings have the typical TJM formed radius, which adds strength and style. There are two turn signal options: standard incandescent and LED. The winch frame is an optional part.

These are in production right now.

Here are a few pics of the finished bumper after making the changes Paul mentioned.

View attachment 1417132
View attachment 1417133
View attachment 1417139
View attachment 1417141

@Phil Damon,
What's the best way to ask specific questions about other TJM products without cluttering up this thread about the T17 bumper? I have suspension ???'s.

Thanks for jumping on here and clarifying for us - always better to talk about your products than let the rumormill do it for you;)

Can you comment on rear bumper plans? Sliders? Product roadmap for 2017?

We have a bunch of products at various stages of development, but we don't have anything else for the 100 planned right now. If we get enough interest, it's definitely a possibility.
We have these front bumpers in the works : 1996-2002 4Runner,2005-2011 Tacoma, 2014 4Runner, 2016 Tacoma plus some domestic models.
We are also working on rock sliders and rear bumpers for the 5th Gen 4Runner and 2016-up Tacoma.
Plus suspension systems for both.

Wow!
Those prices are going to be hard to compete with for the American manufactuers. I can't even build and coat a bumper for that price.

Just wait Ben, there will be more and more coming in at these prices. I know of a few more that will be hitting the 80 and 100 series market in the next few months.

J

Looks like a nice design thanks for posting.

Can we get some info about what thickness of steel is used for comparison to others? Will a bull bar be available?

Also I would like to see some of the internals if possible.

Last edited:
Are TJM bumpers made in Australia or the U.S.?

Looks like a nice design thanks for posting.

Can we get some info about what thickness of steel is used for comparison to others? Will a bull bar be available?

@suprarx7nut the aluminum bumper is here

Kavik 100 Series Front Bumper

Also I would like to see some of the internals if possible.

The outer shell is 3mm or 1/8" and the mounting brackets are all 5mm. The winch frame is a separate part.
TJM has a few different bull bar models already available. They can be viewed on the website: www.tjmusa.com

Here is a picture of the internals.
100 Series 6.JPG

The plate in the middle is a filler to be used if no winch frame is installed. Helps keep rocks out of the radiator.

That price point is going to put a serious pinch on US manufacturers. I'm so torn! I am getting ready to purchase a bumper being built as a direct knock off of this product.

I'm glad TJM is coming back to the US though!

The outer shell is 3mm or 1/8" and the mounting brackets are all 5mm.

1/8" shell? No wonder it can be picked up with one hand. I hope you guys engineered the sh*t out of those internal braces/gussets. I wonder how long it'll take for me to kill this bumper. But for $750 I'll definitely try it!

How is the fit and finish for us LX470 guys?

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been. In looking at paulbgardners post 18 on page 1, I see it mounted to a land cruiser and showing some gaps. I think the curves on my LX are different. So I'm wondering if I will see more gap or less gap. Or perhaps there will be an LX specific version made available.

Wow!
Those prices are going to be hard to compete with for the American manufactuers. I can't even build and coat a bumper for that price.

As a manufacturing engineer who works with overseas labor, it's astounding what you can get out of southeast Asia these days. Labor is still suuuper cheap compared to the US and their capability (total generalization here) is rising fast. Add in that most those SE Asia countries laugh about OSHA standards and it's just tough to compete.

In my last job with a proudly "Made in America" company I would try very hard to use local shops and labor. That's near impossible though when we could get the same parts, from the same material, to the same dimensional tolerances FASTER from China at 25% the cost of what we could from any local shop in the US.

It's tough but not impossible.
What makes it tough is low prices flooding the market!
If a manufacturer wants to make stuff overseas that's fine, but when a manufactuer gets product made overseas and then prices it at 1/2 the price of American made products, that is what kills the American market and quality.
As a buyer that price looks great!
As a 100% American made manufacture who takes extreme pride in every bumper I build it is frustrating.
I think there is definitely a place for overseas manufacturing but if your going to do so don't put the American manufacturers out of business by under pricing product.
It's probably not my place to even say anything but if we let this made in China stuff flood the 100 series market the 100 series comunity will ultimately suffer!
There are several vendors on here that took a gamble a put a ton of time and money to develop great American made products for a very slim market and have plans for many more products to come,
Myself included. But, if we don't support them they will be forced to move on to different markets and you will see many of these vendors stop development for the 100 series and move on to focus on other platforms.
Some food for thought before ordering product.

Competition breeds innovation

Sometimes. But price wars often breed replication, because innovation is expensive and risky.

Before Dissent Offroad and few of the newer locally-grown fabricators, what innovation did we have? We had a choice of three manufacturers - ARB, TJM and IronMan... all making the same bumper. Slee, Dissent Offroad and others brought us the innovation. So now, TJM sees the 100 market as viable, cranks up a Chinese factory to spit out lightweight bumpers (thinner gauge, less structure, lower quality steel) and returns at a purported low price point. Not seeing how this benefits the 100 market at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom