Owner's Manual reference thread (40 and 55 series) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

10/84 HJ 47 Troopy Aus
Seen better days... No cover....

Thanks.

That's the fate of the majority of Owner's Manuals I think.

Car manufacturers have always encouraged owners to leave them in the glovebox for easy access and unfortunately doing that subjects them to a lot of wear and tear.

They're lucky to still exist 10 years on, let alone 30 years on...

:beer:

Just spotted a colour I haven't seen before....

November 1982 Spanish version:
OwnersManual1982Spanisha.JPG

OwnersManual1982Spanishb.JPG

OwnersManual1982Spanishc.JPG

Here's an article from the December 1975 issue of Toyota Today, a Toyota dealer's magazine. It provides background and detail on the changes to the Toyota user manuals for 1976: more photos, linking photos and text, key information on the outside of the back cover.

TT - 16.jpg

TT - 17.jpg

TT - cover.jpg

Here's another Spanish version I came across today too:
OwnersManualSpanish01.jpg

OwnersManualSpanish02.jpg

This one came with 1979 BJ40 that has been sold in Finland. I couldnt find the print date from the manual, but cover is the same as Lostmarbles -79 manual. Language is in Finnish and it covers following models:
Hardtop models: FJ40RV FJ40LV BJ40RV BJ40LV
Pick-up models: FJ40RP FJ40LP BJ40RP BJ40LP
Station wagon models: FJ55RV FJ55LV

manu1.jpg

manu2.jpg

manu3.jpg

Looks like this is from a BJ41/BJ44 owners manual:
OwnersManBJ41.jpg

I assume all copies of BJ41 and BJ44 Land Cruiser Owner's Manuals had to be written in Japanese because these models were not for export..

Looks like this is from a BJ41/BJ44 owners manual:
View attachment 1180816

I assume all copies of BJ41 and BJ44 Land Cruiser Owner's Manuals had to be written in Japanese because these models were not for export..

Do you have the paper copy of this manual? If so, can you scan the full document in? Or better yet, is it for sale?!:hmm:

Do you have the paper copy of this manual? If so, can you scan the full document in? Or better yet, is it for sale?!:hmm:

No I don't have it Wes. I simply found those photos when looking at other 40-series things on the Internet.

PS. If it's any consolation, there are a couple of Toyota booklets I'm after myself that I know exist only because I've seen pictures of them on the Internet too..

To make this thread most useful, I think it is good idea for those of us who are certain they have the original Toyota-supplied OM for a particular vehicle to post up:
  1. The year and model of the Land Cruiser concerned
  2. The country in which the Land Cruiser was sold
  3. The language used in the OM (English, French, German or whatever)
  4. Images of the front and rear covers of the OM (to show exactly what it looks like externally)
  5. An image of the Foreword Page or wherever else the print-year of the Owner's Manual is displayed (to verify the print-year for everyone)
  1. 1976 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
  2. United States of America
  3. English

0616161058.jpg

0616161059.jpg

0610162207.jpg

I received my JDM version manual printed in late '79. It is not the correct print year for my early '81 BJ41, but I believe very little would have changed between the print years. The cover is a little faded and worn, but the inside pages are in great shape, free from marks, tears, and folds.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

1963 and 1964 Owners Manuals

These early owner's manuals are very similar. Same cover design, except for the color scheme. On the back cover, the green/purple manual is number 6040, the brown/gold manual is number 6008. Both manuals include a picture of a frame number starting with "3", suggesting one is 1963 and the other 1964. But which is which? And since covers are sometimes missing, is there a way to identify these manuals from the content?
64-63 a1.jpg

(67azcruizr)

63 c1.jpg

(missedmyride)

It looks like the brown/gold cover manual is 1963 and green/purple cover is 1964. There are content differences that allow the manuals to be identified even if the covers are missing. Additional information and pictures appear in the early owners manual discussion! w/pics thread. And the early owner manual images on Missed My Ride includes all the pages from one of these manuals, but not the cover.

Gauge Cluster
One difference is the description of the gauge cluster. The Missed My Ride manual has that on page 5, and point (1) under Combination Meter is Charge Warning Lamp. Since the Charge Warning Lamp changed to an Ammeter gauge in July 1963 this is the 1963 manual. See treerootCO's Toyota Service Bulletins post #1 for details on this change.
63 c3.jpg

(missedmyride)

That page in post #1 of the Early Owners Manual thread discusses the Ammeter instead, this is the 1964 manual.
64 c2 bw.jpg

(whitey45)

Page Numbers
The page numbering is slightly different between the manuals. The 1964 manual has an additional page. Post #2 (1964 manual) of the Early Owners Manual thread shows the tool kit on page 38. Post #4 of that thread (see below), the brown/gold manual, shows the tool kit on page 37 instead. The Missed My Ride (1963) manual also shows the tool kit on page 37. So the brown/gold cover manual is 1963 and the 1964 manual cover is green/purple.
63 a2.jpg

(67azcruizr)

As it turns out, there is another version of the green/purple cover Owner's Manual, No. 97200, discussed here. This manual has the Charge Warning Lamp as point (1) and the tool kit is pictured on page 38. The format of the manual number 97200 is similar to the 1965 Owner's Manual number 97202.

Summarizing the Differences

Brown/Gold Cover (1963), No. 6008
-The Combination Meter section on page 5, has Charge Warning Lamp as point (1)
-Metal box tool kit is pictured on page 37

Green/Purple Cover (1964), No. 6040
-The Combination Meter section around page 5, has Ammeter as point (1)
-Metal box tool kit is pictured on page 38
-Has an additional page ?? that discusses ??

Green/Purple Cover (1964), No. 97200
-The Combination Meter section around page 5, has Charge Warning Lamp as point (1)
-Metal box tool kit is pictured on page 38
-Has an additional page ?? that discusses ??

The owners manual on mine came in a red plastic sleeve with the ID card and maintenance book. May 1976 California model. I’m the original owner, but my work ndow sticker and dealer paperwork were lost in a house fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom