Manual Locking Hubs for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking for locking hubs for an FJ40 like the ones I had on my ‘74 back in ‘74. can someone suggest a manufacturer and part #?

Thanks

What year 40, mainly year of the front axle and or still stock? Not a one size fits all part.

What year 40, mainly year of the front axle and or still stock? Not a one size fits all part.
It is a 1979 FJ45….problem being, I am unsure who had made any mods along its 44 year journey through tmie. It looks unchanged no real modifications anywhere that I have seen beyond a few bed repairs in the back

I am looking for locking hubs for an FJ40 like the ones I had on my ‘74 back in ‘74. can someone suggest a manufacturer and part #?

Thanks

Aisin locking hubs are available from several sources for your 79. MAN A FRE has a set in stock manafrlv.com

Aisin Locking Hub for 1979-1990 Toyota Land Cruisers​

$139.99
Only 1 left in stock (can be backordered)

Part Type: Aisin Locking Hub
General Fitment: 1979-1990 Toyota Land cruisers (fits 40 series)
SKU: FHT-013

@Last Flight Out - the original hubs on your 1981 FJ40 would have been:

If you want something different, these are all a direct fit for you 1981

Red: AISIN Locking Hub - Fits Misc. 79-90 LC/4R/PU (Red) - https://cruiserteq.com/aisin-locking-hubs-fits-misc-79-90-lc-4r-pu-red/

Gold/Black: AISIN Locking Hub - Fits 1979-90 LC 6x/7x (G/B) - https://cruiserteq.com/aisin-locking-hubs-fits-1979-90-lc-6x-7x-g-b/

Gold/Silver: AISIN Locking Hub - Fits 1979-90 LC 6x/7x (Gold/Silver) - https://cruiserteq.com/aisin-locking-hubs-fits-1979-90-lc-6x-7x-gold-silver/

Grey: AISIN Locking Hub - Fits 1979/80 LC (and Later Models) (Grey) - https://cruiserteq.com/aisin-locking-hubs-fits-1979-80-lc-and-later-models-grey/

Orange :AISIN Locking Hub - Fits Misc. 79-90 LC/4R/PU (Orange) - https://cruiserteq.com/aisin-locking-hubs-fits-misc-79-90-lc-4r-pu-orange/

HD Black: AISIN (Heavy Duty) Locking Hub - Fits 79-95 Land Cruisers (short birf 80's) and 79-85 Pickups and 4Runners (HUBAISINHD) - https://cruiserteq.com/aisin-heavy-duty-locking-hub-fits-79-95-land-cruisers-short-birf-80s-and-79-85-pickups-and-4runners-hubaisinhd/

HD Red: AISIN (Heavy Duty) Locking Hub - Fits 1979 - 1995 Land Cruisers (short birf 80's) and 79-85 Pickup and 4Runner Applications (HUBAISINHDRED) - https://cruiserteq.com/aisin-heavy-duty-locking-hub-fits-1979-1995-land-cruisers-short-birf-80s-and-79-85-pickup-and-4runner-applications-hubaisinhdred/

Thanks

@cruiseroutfit

I tagged and quoted Kurt from another thread but there are options for you 79 application.

Thanks…@b y r o n Google and I were friends for a long long time BUT…then I got several confusing comments and questions. As a result, I like to be sure by getting a real persons experience…can’t beat that

Does Warn still make these hubs? Never had an issue with them

Last edited:
So, is it a 74 or a 79? It makes a difference. Most All the 40's I've delt with had Warns. I think most were probably dealer installed.

I'm sure you could find Warns somewhere, but Aisin would have been fit on a '79 and they are much stronger.

Does your '79 still have drum brakes? How far do the Birfield shafts stick out of the hub?

There are short and long hubs. '79 should be short unless they have been swapped out for some reason.

to clear it up…my ‘74 had Warn hubs the dealer installed the day I drove it home. That was 49 years ago. This ‘79 comes from the Middle East , has drum brakes and I am getting into good running condition before tear down and I would like to put manual locking hubs on it now. I can do the Aisin but I liked the Warn hubs.

since this is an old man’s final fantasy, I would enjoy getting a shiny set of Warn hubs on it …as for the birfield shafts, my best guess without pulling the hubs yet, it that they are short

to clear it up…my ‘74 had Warn hubs the dealer installed the day I drove it home. That was 49 years ago. This ‘79 comes from the Middle East , has drum brakes and I am getting into good running condition before tear down and I would like to put manual locking hubs on it now. I can do the Aisin but I liked the Warn hubs.

since this is an old man’s final fantasy, I would enjoy getting a shiny set of Warn hubs on it …as for the birfield shafts, my best guess without pulling the hubs yet, it that they are short

$285.59

based on Warn's Fittment Info:

1984-1985 Toyota 4Runner
1976-1987 Toyota Land Cruiser
1976-1985 Toyota Pickup

I believe they should fit, but I'd take it with a grain of salt and do your own research.

$285.59

1984-1985 Toyota 4Runner
1976-1985 Toyota Pickup

I believe they should fit, but I'd take it with a grain of salt and do your own research.
I have tried to look up as much as I could…but, once I get lost….I come to ask questions right here AND have never been steered in the wrong direction….but you advice is well received. I will pull these apart and check as best I can….there’s always return shipping 🤷🏼‍♂️

@bikersmurf thanks for the warn web site. I was reading several pages of the site yesterday and never found the page you sent me….

I can confirm these Warn Hubs from above fit on my 1/79 Disk Axle.
20230924_081632.jpg

No idea if the Drum Axle would be different but Warn's website doesn't specify Disk or Drum.

I can confirm these Warn Hubs from above fit on my 1/79 Disk Axle.
View attachment 3438802
No idea if the Drum Axle would be different but Warn's website doesn't specify Disk or Drum.
Thanks @Shark56. confidence is high so I just placed an order… I hate returns but they are accepted if they don’t fit….funny thing they are twice the cost of the Aisin hubs but my my other Toyota I sold had Aisin hubs and they were a bit stiff for my old arthritic hands to spin. These Warn hubs always just twisted very easily.

By the way, my ‘74 was a half cab…I absolutely LOVED it. Thing is that was 49 years ago. Times were different : I wonder what ever happened to her

Last edited:

$285.59

1984-1985 Toyota 4Runner
1976-1985 Toyota Pickup

I find the 76-87 for the Land Cruiser interesting since the 76-78 Toyota used a longer Birfield. That at a minimum would require a spacer on the early 30 spline Birfield if that's possible. I also didn't realize the FJ62 required a different locking hub than the FJ60. Little research I see the same Birfield working from 1/79-3/92. This is on the 40 series and 60 series including the FJ62. FJ62 started 11/84 in most markets with a 3F carbureted engine. Didn't bother with 70 which probably used the same Birfield even longer.

I find the 76-87 for the Land Cruiser interesting since the 76-78 Toyota used a longer Birfield. That at a minimum would require a spacer on the early 30 spline Birfield if that's possible. I also didn't realize the FJ62 required a different locking hub than the FJ60. Little research I see the same Birfield working from 1/79-3/92. This is on the 40 series and 60 series including the FJ62. FJ62 started 11/84 in most markets with a 3F carbureted engine. Didn't bother with 70 which probably used the same Birfield even longer.
I can't remember exactly, been 7 years or so since I was doing it, but I believe the longer Birf uses those shoulder washers you see in the picture of the Warn parts bag. That is what allowed the year range difference for the long Birf in 76-78.
hub (1).jpg

@Living in the Past A lot of you guys have the most amazing details and can find stuff I do not run across easily. You have responded and helped me several times already as so many here have.…do you have a source I should be reading instead of trying to Google and YouTube the heck out of it. Don’t get me wrong, i have found some magnificent YouTube videos and have downloaded, saved and watched them all. Episode after episode…Several are setup to be available for the day it starts to come apart.

Once I start digging into this truck I should have a bit more understanding. My mechanical skills are decent all it need are specs and what is correct versus a whim. I have two other major issues.

1.) my last land cruisers I worked on routinely… but that was decades ago and life has since been filled my head with a lot of useless junk.
2.). I am turning 71 soon… that part causes some really limiting attempts, my strength is 1/2 but my head is more than willing

Segments of my early days: this FJ45 is the final fantasy of an old man
IMG_0388.jpeg
IMG_0150.jpeg
IMG_0386.jpeg
IMG_0161.jpeg
IMG_0387.jpeg
IMG_0148.jpeg
IMG_0153.jpeg
IMG_0149.jpeg
>
1976 Short Hillsd FJ40 .jpeg

Is the same 79 45 you emailed my shop about working on? If so, we have the correct Aisin locking hubs in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom