charcoal canister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a metal tube that runs behind the engine block I think it mounts to the fire wall its
for the charcoal canister line. I forgot to mount it before i dropped the tube on. The engine is also mounted, more then anything im looking for a picture of one mounted. its a 1982 fj40 thanks man....

I will look through my pics and see if I can find something for you.

Seth I have a 78. It too has a metal tube running from the canister across the fire wall (behind valve cover) and comes out towards drivers fender. It runs parallel to the ground and should be held on by 4(?) brackets into 6x1.00 bolt holes in the firewall. It has soft gas lines and is part of the carbeuration fumes return/emissions system.

Not positive about an 82 but you should be able to slide that pipe behind and under without too much interference. Then mount to firewall before attaching hoses.

I too will look for pics and if I find some I will post.

The fact that the tub and engine are in should not be an issue. I put mine on after. Some patience and finagling should do it.

Good luck

Last edited:
The last pic I believe its the one on the bottom. I Have a few more if you need from drivers side.
82fj40 bringing it back 063.JPG
82fj40 bringing it back 064.JPG
82fj40 bringing it back 146.JPG

I believe it mounts to bendy tabs right along the top of the firewall. I don't think it will be difficult to install after the engine.

You can see it pretty clearly here. Mine is like this. It's possible a later model is different.

FJ40_LandCruiser_Engine_Compartment.jpg

some more misc. Hell its been so long I cant remember half of whats what. Someone else will have to chime in cause I'm no expert and will need to check when I get ready to put back together. Just trying to help.
82fj40 bringing it back 107.JPG
82fj40 bringing it back 145.JPG
82fj40 bringing it back 147.JPG

What about bottom where line is cracked on my first pic.

FJsnoozer said:
No, it is the one at the top, it connects to that rubber hose that then goes into the top of the black canister.

So to Anderson your question, Seth, it runs along the very , top of the firewall.

Snooz, if it's the one on top of firewall why would he suggest there be interference with tub and motor??? Doesn't make sense.... Hell you are aware of how much "I don't" know but I do know the top rail to canister is not impeded by engine or tub. - but hey, I've been wrong before.

I do believe both lines are relevant to the canister. But I'm chillin on couch until he pipes in for more info....

Where's Seth?

oh my gosh!!!! I can't believe how nice and generous everyone is thank you so much for your time and your efforts and yes that is the pipe I was looking for! thank you so much!!!! im the bigest fan of ih8mud ever!!!! again thanks

very helpful, its so nice to see a pic of what's what, I took everything apart so long ago that my brain is spent. I need to post some pics of the fj

78GroundUp said:
Snooz, if it's the one on top of firewall why would he suggest there be interference with tub and motor??? Doesn't make sense.... Hell you are aware of how much "I don't" know but I do know the top rail to canister is not impeded by engine or tub. - but hey, I've been wrong before.

I do believe both lines are relevant to the canister. But I'm chillin on couch until he pipes in for more info....

Where's Seth?

I just think there was confusion on where to mount it.

From top to bottom,

Charcoal line
Brake
Brake
Clutch

image-2940950869.jpg

image-3879908321.jpg

Great pic ToDT!
image-2940950869.jpg
image-3879908321.jpg

No such thing as to many pics. Its amazing what you can figure out with zoom too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom