xjtwo - What have I done build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story….here is the Link if you want to read about it.

So, I did try to get my Raptor back after about a week, would’ve gotten bent over.
Decided to embrace my decision, started planning my build. First question and a very important one is being realistic about what I plan on using the vehicle for. You can go down a rabbit hole real fast.

For me, I enjoy getting out in Colorado camping and flyfishing. I don’t really consider myself an off-road guy but will go to get to camping/flyfishing spots.

Day of pic:
IMG_8867.jpeg

First thing I did was ceramic tint all the way around including 85% windshield.

After tint:
IMG_9079.jpeg

Did some small things like the auto mirrors/windows down/up mod and the filter mod.

Put the rear storage shelf in from Bison gear, working on a solution to keep gear in place for that.

Bought factory rails and a rod quiver:
IMG_9187.jpeg

Then picked up new wheels and tires:

IMG_9224.jpeg

So the GX has grown on me, so comfy.

Plans:
Victory full roof rack
Sliders
Victory Blitz bumper
Eventually a very mild lift.

Next will either be sliders or the roof rack depending on any deals I come across. I’ll more than likely be adding more molle panels and a fold out table to scratch the “mod” itch.

One thing I have been looking for is a slimmer drawer system. Something that will match the trim piece you’d take out for a drawer system anyway.

Cheers!
J

Looking good! These trucks really do grow on you! I'm still not a big fan of the front end styling, but everything else about it is great. They are built like tanks. Very reliable, with old school V8 and bulletproof 6 speed auto.

RCI in Loveland seems to be having deals just about every month . Black Friday with most vendors does help out with less of a hit to the wallet. Not sure what part of CO you are in, but RSG in Denver are good with the GX ad helpful with installs, advice, etc. Also, check out if there are any local clubs for you. Great to get out and see what your rig can do and see other set-ups.

2nd on @JDUB fab's comment to skids - engine skid for sure. Never know when you will need that crawling around the mall...or road hazards, or plowing through snow or off roading or...

I would go for the roof rack first if you aren't doing serious off-roading because it adds so much versatile storage. I have a Prospeed rack which I would highly recommend but there are plenty of options out there.

Reactions: r2m
Add some skids to that list!
When you do your rock sliders, skid plates are a MUST. I've mentioned this before, but even on mild trails, they can be very rutted and accidentally dropping a wheel in a deep rut will bang your under carriage, e.g. fuel tank, transfer case, oil pan, etc.
I'm sure many other members can attest to the fact of being on a trail and going over an obstacle that they thought was not a problem and then, BANG! you just dropped down on something hard.
Forewarned is forearmed. ;)

RCI in Loveland seems to be having deals just about every month . Black Friday with most vendors does help out with less of a hit to the wallet. Not sure what part of CO you are in, but RSG in Denver are good with the GX ad helpful with installs, advice, etc. Also, check out if there are any local clubs for you. Great to get out and see what your rig can do and see other set-ups.

2nd on @JDUB fab's comment to skids - engine skid for sure. Never know when you will need that crawling around the mall...or road hazards, or plowing through snow or off roading or...

Thanks for the suggestions, I’m in Colorado Springs. Have been looking at RCI skids!

After looking at different skid plates I am more than likely going to go with RCI. Not sure what all to go with though, was thinking front and filler plates, transmission, and gas tank.

Thoughts?

i tend to hit the engine and transmission skids the most. i'm at stock height with stock size tires. i'd get whatever gives you peace of mind when out on a rocky trail in colorado.

i have engine, transmission, transfer case, and gas tank. the gas tank skid is my least used skid.

I see a lot of RCI skids out there in photos but havnt had anyone I know run them on the trail. The only caution I would have is they don’t have internal reinforcement. Depending on how hard you bash your rig around, that may make a difference. I’m not sure if budbuilt is still around or what companies do make skids with more support anymore but I’ve bent ARBs and even 3/16 plate versions. Now I have a custom skid, with support.
528FE58D-5707-4253-9568-986601D1A79C.jpeg

What are you wheel and tire specs? It looks perfect!

Also I have the Victory 4X4 rack and while that materials are decent quality, most of that parts are designed for universal fit so imho (I am picky) there are compromises. Extra holes, goofy brackets, wind fairing doesn't follow the shape of the roof. I'm also not sure if they use actual 80/20 extrusions for the cross bars or if they have something custom made, but the slots are so shallow on their cross bars compared to other 80/20 I have used in the past, the T-nuts that you can fit in there really only have a couple of threads of engagement and likely won't be all the safe with heavy stuff on top. Edit: I did just look on the 80/20 site and I think they are using 10-series, and I have always used 15-series which has deeper channels for larger t-nuts.

They have me a bunch of really dumb excuses as to why things don't fit all that well, and it just left me with a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. I paid for a custom fit roof rack, but yet it's really not custom. I would look at Prinsu or Wescott designs as well, as it seems they might have designed their racks specifically for the GX, and not for a bunch of different vehicles.

Last edited:
i missed that you are looking at rci skids. all of my skids are aluminum skids from rci. they have held up on the easy to moderate trails i've taken them on in the california desert and sierras. i'd defiantly get skids even if you are going on trails that 4x4 drivers call easy (level <4).

here are some pics. it is hard to tell depth from photos but they are dented.
engine skid
front-skid.JPG

transmission skid
transmission-skid.JPG

Also I have the Victory 4X4 rack and while that materials are decent quality, most of that parts are designed for universal fit so imho (I am picky) there are compromises. Extra holes, goofy brackets, wind fairing doesn't follow the shape of the roof. I'm also not sure if they use actual 80/20 extrusions for the cross bars or if they have something custom made, but the slots are so shallow on their cross bars compared to other 80/20 I have used in the past, the T-nuts that you can fit in there really only have a couple of threads of engagement and likely won't be all the safe with heavy stuff on top. Edit: I did just look on the 80/20 site and I think they are using 10-series, and I have always used 15-series which has deeper channels for larger t-nuts.

They have me a bunch of really dumb excuses as to why things don't fit all that well, and it just left me with a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. I paid for a custom fit roof rack, but yet it's really not custom. I would look at Prinsu or Wescott designs as well, as it seems they might have designed their racks specifically for the GX, and not for a bunch of different vehicles.

Not sure who you talked to here with the really dumb excuses, but on the extrusion for our racks, yes they are 10-series. 10 series has an 0.317" slot depth from the face of the extrusion. So while ensuring a correct thread length on the mounting bolts you use is important, there is room for exposed thread under the t-nuts in most instances. Swapping to 15 series would add height to the rack and having a slim profile is important to us.

If I can help with anything else, let me know.
~Daryl

Not sure who you talked to here with the really dumb excuses, but on the extrusion for our racks, yes they are 10-series. 10 series has an 0.317" slot depth from the face of the extrusion. So while ensuring a correct thread length on the mounting bolts you use is important, there is room for exposed thread under the t-nuts in most instances. Swapping to 15 series would add height to the rack and having a slim profile is important to us.

If I can help with anything else, let me know.
~Daryl

I did do some more research and did see they are the 10 series. I went to use hardware from my previous rack and was surprised to see how much larger things like the T-nuts were, and I guess forgot I used 15-series cross bars.

I had assumed that when I bought the Victory 4X4 rack that it would be tailor fit to the GX460, like the vast majority of your competitors appear to be (prinsu, SSO, Wescot). When I asked about why the wind fairing didn't fit the roof line of the GX460 correctly, and had big gaps on either end, and really didn't line up with the side rails when in the proper position, I was simply told it was because you used that fairing for a lot of different vehicles, and the poor fitment is shown in your product pics so I should have looked at your product photos with a more critical eye.

I also questioned the design of the roof mounting brackets, and how they would put some interesting (aka not ideal) loads on the roof rack mounting points, and was again told that you use those roof rails on many different vehicles, so compromises needed to be made.

I also pointed out the large amount of metal shavings and powder coat build up on the threaded holes on the cross bars, which required me to use a chamfering drill bit to remove and compressed air to clean up the metal shavings. Again just pointing out areas I thought could be improved, and was just told that is acceptable.

I am a design engineer and have worked in metal fabrication for 15 years, and admit I am likely hyper aware of things that most wouldn't notice (it's a curse, not a gift). When I pay good money for something I expect it to fit perfectly, and as a consumer I could care less that my product is compromised because the designer focused on DFM, and made a cheaper product by designing it to fit multiple applications.

more than likely going to go with RCI.
@xjtwo - if you haven't bought skids already, did you see RCI is doing 20% off now? And if you can swing driving to Loveland to waive shipping fees...

I am going to gamble and wait to see if their Black Friday sale will still be 20% off (or maybe more?)

@xjtwo - if you haven't bought skids already, did you see RCI is doing 20% off now? And if you can swing driving to Loveland to waive shipping fees...

I am going to gamble and wait to see if their Black Friday sale will still be 20% off (or maybe more?)
I don't mind taking a road trip, good to know they are having the 20% off as I was planning on getting them around Black Friday as well. I might gamble with you.....

I am having a hard time deciding what I really need for light trail use, front skid, transmission, and gas? Not sure I need the whole gambit for my use.

I don't mind taking a road trip, good to know they are having the 20% off as I was planning on getting them around Black Friday as well. I might gamble with you.....

I am having a hard time deciding what I really need for light trail use, front skid, transmission, and gas? Not sure I need the whole gambit for my use.
The OE front skids on the GX are ok for light use. If you are budget or weight conscious, I would start with a full fuel tank skid and a transfer case skid. The OE fuel tank skid leaves something to be desired, and the transfer case has no OE protection beyond the frame braces and it is kind of right where you would high center if you run out of breakover angle. Check with RCI or whoever you are buying from as the transfer case skids are not always stand-alone. My BudBuilt skids basically require the full set since the t-case skid slots into the transmission skid as the front attachment point.
If you have the budget, I'd suggest doing the engine, transmission, transfer case, and fuel tank from the company of your choosing.
If you are concerned about weight, I would still suggest a steel front/engine skid and then go aluminum for the others. You don't need stuff like the control arm skids or rear diff skid if you aren't playing on rocks (even then lots of people skip these).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom