What have I done….New GX owner. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ll try a make this short…..

Wife’s vehicle got destroyed by hail here in Colorado and so began looking for a new vehicle. Looked at Mazda, Honda, Toyota and a few others…

Found a Mazda in Albuquerque NM, dealer said they’d hold. We drive 5hrs one way from Colorado only to be told they messed up and it’s already sold. Talk about doing everything possible to keep it together. Drive 5hrs back.

Asked her to look at Lexus, she does while out on Sunday and finds a couple she likes at our local dealership on Sunday.

I drop her off at work Monday and head straight to Lexus. Grab the first sales person I see, look at the two vehicles my wife looked at Sunday. Decided the NX 350 was the one out of the two, has everything she wanted.

Start paperwork, headed out to grab her to finalize everything over her lunch.

Meanwhile I am eyeballing a 2023 GX sitting on the lot…..take it for a test drive and I’m sold.

Ended up trading in my 2019 Raptor for the 2023 GX and had some serious buyers remorse.

I had a 2012 4Runner before the Raptor and while I liked the Raptor I regretted getting rid of the 4Runner.

Buyers remorse wore off after I started looking deeper into the GX platform.

So yeah, new GX owner here.
IMG_8880.jpeg

If you like it now, wait till you do some serious road trips and/or a little off roading!
It'll make your old 4Runner look like a Model T.
Comfort on these is awesome for long drives, even when (properly) modified for off road.

Mazda has some of the best cars and some of the worst dealers out there. Welcome to GXOR. Enjoy the rabbit hole of making your GX more like a Raptor.
Ha, totally my experince when I bought my 2018 Mazda 3. Dealer was a bit of a dirtbag, amazing car though and I miss it often.

To the OP, Raptor to GX is quite a change! Great looking rig and you should feel lucky to have the last midsize, V8, true 4x4, solid axle, body-on-frame, ultra-reliable, SUV that will ever be produced! Hoping to see a build on this one.

Ended up trading in my 2019 Raptor for the 2023 GX and had some serious buyers remorse.

I had a 2012 4Runner before the Raptor and while I liked the Raptor I regretted getting rid of the 4Runner.

Buyers remorse wore off after I started looking deeper into the GX platform.
I get it. I originally wanted a Tacoma or 4Runner but they were unobtanium 2 years ago. Still hate the front end but it's the best all around mid sized offroader. I came from a 2 door Rubicon and it's feels 95% as good. It's like taking a lazy boy down the trail.

Also congrats on getting the last of the V8s(from Toyota)

Screenshot_20230629_175329_Lightroom.jpg

That's quite a change! The Raptors are really cool but also really BIG! We love our GX. Installed a mild lift and BFG KO2s. Performs flawless on and off road. It really shines on road trips. My next modification I think is a CBI covert front bumper.

View attachment 3404707
Very nice and discrete, yet functional.

After a week of owning the GX I have to say this thing is a dog and not good on gas. Coming from a tuned Raptor probably doesn’t help….

• Sad
Reactions: r2m
After a week of owning the GX I have to say this thing is a dog and not good on gas. Coming from a tuned Raptor probably doesn’t help….
Surely you had to of known this prior? Maybe sell the GX and buy something else if you're not happy?

Yep, Toyotas/Lexus (except hybrids) aren't known for passing up gas stations or gobs of power, but they'll turn the odometer over a few times more than any other product out there.
Still the GX is far better for power than the 4R's with about the same MPG.

Last edited:
It's 5500 lbs 300/330 hp and torque lexus cruiser.

It glides down trails like a fart in a lazy boy.

You need a pedal commander , I think that is what it's called .
I have one on my Gx , makes a world of difference
I was looking at those and have also reached out to yotawerx tuning.

Pedal commander really make that much of a difference?

If you think the GX is bad come try a 200 Series lol. It has plenty of power but never thought I’d find myself missing the 15-16 combined of a 4R/GX.

I compare it to my other vehicle , 2008 GX 470 , yes ! :)
Really , my 460 , compared to before the PC , absolutely .
I hated it before , now it's fun to drive .
Shed the memories of your Raptor first , drive the GX for 6 months , then , add the P.C.

Note: the only difference with a pedal commander is throttle response. You're not going to get any more gitty-up 'n go than you do now, you'll just get a far more responsive access to your ponies. It's taken me a long time to realize I have to mash the throttle to dig into more horsepower when passing or accelerating.

Last edited:
I compare it to my other vehicle , 2008 GX 470 , yes ! :)
Really , my 460 , compared to before the PC , absolutely .
I hated it before , now it's fun to drive .
Shed the memories of your Raptor first , drive the GX for 6 months , then , add the P.C.
I put a PC on within the first 2 hours of ownership. Yes, it makes that much difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom