Builds - 2023 GX460 Overland build aka "MALCRLR" - Phase 1 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone!
Thought I'd share my build with the group.
I bought my 2023 GX460 Lux from Santa Monica Lexus in July 2023. It looked to have been a special order that was never picked up, as it was a Lux with the towing and off-road package but the rear bench seat. The Monroney sticker has both packages along with roof rails, rear cargo cover and even the Lexus branded USB cables. I got a good deal at the time and bought it 6% under MSRP.
Side1.jpg

I drove the car back from LA up to Seattle and almost immediately had it in the shop (Nomad Overland Adventures) for a lift, wheels and tires. Here is a list of the initial parts:
- OME Lift with BP-51's and OME UCA's
- Ironman Airbag delete with OME rear springs
- DrKDSS Front and Rear swaybar clamps, bushing brackets, rear KDSS Drop spacers, BOTCK, and KDSS front swaybar adapters
- Titan7 T-AK2 wheels in Satin titanium (17x8.5 - 6x139.7 -8 offset)
- Falken AT3W tires 285/70-17
20230815_155513.jpg

20230815_155646.jpg

20230815_151624.jpg

20230815_151629.jpg

I have to say that the rig rides just like stock with just a little tire noise, but I expected that going from the all seasons to the AT3W. I can only post 5 pics at a time in a post, so when I have time I'll post up the following phases that have been done.

Looking good, thanks for the share, love the shiny underside pics!

Your tire size choice, 285/70/17, is what I'm looking at for my next set. Have to ask, any rubbing issues? I see you added an OME UCA, did that help with preventing rubbing?

Congrats on your new wheels and welcome to the GX forum, a.k.a. the Money Pit!
Looking forward to your build.
:cheers:

Looking good, thanks for the share, love the shiny underside pics!

Your tire size choice, 285/70/17, is what I'm looking at for my next set. Have to ask, any rubbing issues? I see you added an OME UCA, did that help with preventing rubbing?
There will certainly be rubbing issues on the wheel well and possibly on the control arm of offset is wrong.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!!

As for tire size and rubbing, the tech had to do minimal trimming of the front and rear plastics but using the OME UCA's and a -8 offset wheel, the tires just stick out a little and I have no rubbing and didn't have to do the body mount chop.

As for the spare, I just had the Expedition One rear bumper with single swing arm installed and so now my spare is out back. I'll do another post for the rear bumper as there were a LOT of fitment issues that the shop had to deal with.

20230815_155546.jpg

20230815_152207.jpg

Phase 2:
For this phase of my project I wanted to start with paint protection as well as electrical stuff and then fill that space where my my spare used to go since my new wheel tire package wouldn't allow the spare to fit under the rig.

Shout out to HKP Customs and NWD Off road and Performance for all the great work and Cole from IG Cemented.racks for the OTT tune as well. The rig has a little more pep and way better throttle response and shifting now.

Full body STEK Dynomatte PPF
Debadged and Satin black chrome delete
Ceramic Window Tint
Diode Dynamics SS3 ditch lights on SDHQ ditch light brackets
SwitchPros 8-switch in SDHQ interior sunglass replacement pod
ARB Dual Compressor
Lumaworx LED interior Kit and LED brake, turn and reverse lights
Magnaflow Overland cat-back exhaust
Durobumps Front and Rear bump stops
Long Range America 24 gallon auxiliary fuel tank (Thanks Redeemed Offroad for the great price on the tank)

I have been averaging around 12-14mpg (this is my DD and have a pretty long commute) so with the extra 24 gal of fuel, I don't have to fill up every other day...now it's once a week...HA!!

Front-Driver2.jpg

DitchLight1.jpg

ARBCompressor.jpg

LRATank2.jpg

SwitchPro.jpg

Did you leave the body mount open like that or add a plate? Don’t know about the structural integrity of the mount open like that. edit: NVM I realize you didn’t cut the body mount.. you will probably rub on that.

Last edited:
Wow. Looks amazing. Great job!

Did you leave the body mount open like that or add a plate? Don’t know about the structural integrity of the mount open like that. edit: NVM I realize you didn’t cut the body mount.. you will probably rub on that.
I have turned lock to lock and don't have any rubbing, but haven't flexed the suspension at lock to see if it rubs on the body mount. If it does rub at full flex or if I decide to go to a bigger wheel/tire combo, I know I'll have to do the body mount chop, but for now there isn't any rubbing.

Nice project! Maybe I missed it, but are you going to re-gear? How does it feel now?
I didn't re-gear. I didn't feel the need with 33's. I did have the OTT tune done, to get rid of the lag in throttle response, better shifting and a tiny bump in power. The rig is still pretty responsive, but i'm not drag racing anyone either. Only caveat to my build so far is an air suspension warning on my dash, due to having to remove the air pump to mount the Expedition One rear bumper with swing arm. No one has been able to disable the warning on my 2023. Some shops think it's possible, but no luck so far.

20240130_161939.jpg

20240130_161953.jpg

20240130_161234.jpg

20240130_161222.jpg

20240130_161824.jpg

Love the camera housing! But, boy, is that arm close to your rear door! You may consider putting a foam pad, maybe a short section of the slitted round black insulation tubing used for water pipes. Unless you can loosen your bumper and pull it out a wee bit?
I can just see that banging that rear door first time you take it out on a washboard road.

Curious to learn more about your OTT tune? Do you do this with a programmer? Or take it to a shop? Which tune, etc.

I would love to fix the poor trans shift programming and remap the throttle for improved drivability on my truck.

(I have a pedal master but this is just a band aide and not a real fix. It doesn’t address the poor transmission shift tuning).

How do you like the rear bumper? I've been looking at this one because my spare doesn't fit underneath. How is the fit/finish.

@r2m I think the swing out mounts to where the license plate used to be and then swings out with the door. That's one of the features that drew me to this bumper. I know my wife will not want to play around with unlatching and latching the spare swing out haha.

Reactions: r2m
FYI, got a promo email from expedition 1, they are having a 20% off sale, Coupon Code: PRES24

How do you like the rear bumper? I've been looking at this one because my spare doesn't fit underneath. How is the fit/finish.

@r2m I think the swing out mounts to where the license plate used to be and then swings out with the door. That's one of the features that drew me to this bumper. I know my wife will not want to play around with unlatching and latching the spare swing out haha.
I've been running a Dirtcom Trailswing for 2 years and can confirm that wives are not interesting in unlatching and latching the tire carrier swingout lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom