xjtwo - What have I done build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't mind taking a road trip, good to know they are having the 20% off as I was planning on getting them around Black Friday as well. I might gamble with you.....

I am having a hard time deciding what I really need for light trail use, front skid, transmission, and gas? Not sure I need the whole gambit for my use.
Just chiming in that if you do any rutted trails or come along any rocks and/or tree stumps sticking up, embedded in the trail you will be glad when you hear that BANG!! that it was only the skid plate that was hit and not the cast metal transmission pan or fuel tank or??
Also, I'd suggest rock sliders/side steps. Yeah, you may never need but they are far sturdier than the plastic factory ones.
As an additional bonus which I never considered till it happened to me, if you ever get t-boned in an accident, it will greatly increase your survivability and/or highly reduce damage to your vehicle.
I was t-boned by a Toyota Camry some years ago in my GX after already being built out. The only damage to my rig was: 1) the right rear passenger door had to be replaced, 2) the the plastic strip along the right front had to be replaced, 3) I got a new set of rock sliders! Better ones than I had!!
If I didn't have the rock sliders there would have been far more damage, minimum damage would have been both doors replaced, maximum damage could have been a bent body at the B column and the insurance calling it a total loss.
In short rock, rock sliders are a great investment for personal and property protection. And to boot, you don't have to get the fully loaded "off road" look, there are styles out there that help keep the factory look too!

The OE front skids on the GX are ok for light use. If you are budget or weight conscious, I would start with a full fuel tank skid and a transfer case skid. The OE fuel tank skid leaves something to be desired, and the transfer case has no OE protection beyond the frame braces and it is kind of right where you would high center if you run out of breakover angle. Check with RCI or whoever you are buying from as the transfer case skids are not always stand-alone. My BudBuilt skids basically require the full set since the t-case skid slots into the transmission skid as the front attachment point.
If you have the budget, I'd suggest doing the engine, transmission, transfer case, and fuel tank from the company of your choosing.
If you are concerned about weight, I would still suggest a steel front/engine skid and then go aluminum for the others. You don't need stuff like the control arm skids or rear diff skid if you aren't playing on rocks (even then lots of people skip these).
Light skids are good! That's all I have on my rig, aluminum sliders and I've done a few rock gardens with them. Yeah, I have a few minor dings and dents, but no punctures or anything else. I wouldn't suggest them for serious bouldering or rock crawling, but for 90% of everything else aluminum sliders work fine.

Just chiming in that if you do any rutted trails or come along any rocks and/or tree stumps sticking up, embedded in the trail you will be glad when you hear that BANG!! that it was only the skid plate that was hit and not the cast metal transmission pan or fuel tank or??
Also, I'd suggest rock sliders/side steps. Yeah, you may never need but they are far sturdier than the plastic factory ones.
...or you are mid conversation with your buddies about how you aren't worried about much on the trails because you have full skid plates when you hear the unmistakable crunch of your plastic rear bumper getting crushed on a rock :rolleyes::blackeye:. But in that scenario the only damage is plastic and then you get to explain to your (very disappointed) wife why you need a metal rear bumper too!

Also +1 for sliders.

Light skids are good! That's all I have on my rig, aluminum sliders and I've done a few rock gardens with them. Yeah, I have a few minor dings and dents, but no punctures or anything else. I wouldn't suggest them for serious bouldering or rock crawling, but for 90% of everything else aluminum sliders work fine.
I plan on going with RCI, hoping they will have a Black Friday deal and don't miss out on the 20% they are having. Going with, Sliders, engine, transfer, gas tank skid plates maybe the transmission as well. I might do the filler plate purley for cosmetics

Reactions: r2m
don't miss out on the 20% they are having
Don’t hold me to this, but it looks like 20% is the typical Black Friday, Memorial Day, etc. holiday deal. Reviewed my build wish list on my spreadsheet and the best sales deal for RCI is the 20% and for awhile they included a free cat guard. Just interesting that the sale started so early. Perhaps “overlanding” has lost its momentum with the cool kids or shops finally are building stock. That being said, I’m still gonna wait til Black Friday.

CBI currently has 15% off and Victory has 20% off

I see a lot of RCI skids out there in photos but havnt had anyone I know run them on the trail. The only caution I would have is they don’t have internal reinforcement. Depending on how hard you bash your rig around, that may make a difference. I’m not sure if budbuilt is still around or what companies do make skids with more support anymore but I’ve bent ARBs and even 3/16 plate versions. Now I have a custom skid, with support. View attachment 3454617
RCIs skids hold up very well, no bracing needed. I often purposely stick my GX for class no damages to them at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom