Builds JEFFKISTHENAME Build and Journey Thread aka djthegeepx on IG (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

Too bad I didn't start a build thread here before, and now my build is a bit extensive, but better late than never lol. I have a 2016 Lexus GX460 that I purchased used in October 2019 that had 39.9K miles (literally hit 40k on the way home LOL).

It took me about 2-3 years of research to finally decide to get a GX. All I knew is I wanted to “Overland”. I had no experience off-roading. Came from owning motorcycles and Mazda RX-7s, but with starting a family, I wanted a vehicle I could take my family to cool places. It's been great to own so far, and I love all the experiences I've been able to have with it.

Last edited:
When I first got it…

IMG_9665.jpeg

IMG_9666.jpeg

I've been following you in IG for a little while and enjoy the content. Excited to read along about how you got there.

Do you have any current exterior photos for us to drool over??

Things got interesting real fast. Like 4 months after purchase, I dropped the GX off at Stellar Built…😁 This was Stellar’s first install of an Ironman Bumper on a GX460. The cuts were pretty dang good.

IMG_2449.jpeg

IMG_2456.jpeg

IMG_2571.png

IMG_2624.jpeg

IMG_2625.jpeg

Things got interesting real fast. Like 4 months after purchase, I dropped the GX off at Stellar Built…😁 This was Stellar’s first install of an Ironman Bumper on a GX460. The cuts were pretty dang good.

View attachment 3428163

View attachment 3428164

View attachment 3428165

View attachment 3428166

View attachment 3428167
I went the same route. Withing a month of having mine, I took it to YotoMasters, a local Toyota specific off road shop. I believe my Lexus was the first GX they've ever worked on, but they understood it's basically the same as a 5th Gen 4R, except with a V8, leather and wood.
They did a great job and 5 years later still please with the work.

Stellar also installed Dobinson’s Nitro Shocks and Heavy Springs front and rear. Wrapped some skinny Falken Wildpeak AT3W 33’s on some RRW wheels and I was looking like a Mall Crawling Overlander 😄.

IMG_2617.jpeg

IMG_2620.jpeg

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2633.jpeg

IMG_2626.jpeg

Looking good!

Next thing I did was added sliders and a rear bash bar, because people told me, “Hey you need sliders if you’re going to be off-roading.” And well, the “bash bar” looks cool. I found out later that you can’t really bash it. At least, not this one. This one is definitely for looks…😆

Still had not hit a trail yet…

IMG_5035.jpeg

IMG_5036.jpeg

IMG_5039.jpeg

IMG_5042.jpeg

IMG_5054.jpeg

Next thing I did was added sliders and a rear bash bar, because people told me, “Hey you need sliders if you’re going to be off-roading.” And well, the “bash bar” looks cool. I found out later that you can’t really bash it. At least, not this one. This one is definitely for looks…😆

Still had not hit a trail yet…

View attachment 3428206

View attachment 3428207

View attachment 3428208

View attachment 3428209

View attachment 3428210
More details on the rear bash bar please! That's something I've been contemplating on doing (though a double bar).

Man…I really wanted to look the part, so I bought a roof rack. Loved the Aussie and South African builds, so naturally I went with a Front Runner.

IMG_5307.jpeg

IMG_5311.jpeg

IMG_5313.jpeg

IMG_5314.jpeg

IMG_5315.jpeg

More details on the rear bash bar please! That's something I've been contemplating on doing (though a double bar).
Bash Bar is from Ronin Metalworks, but they no longer make them.

Okay. First trail ever was with a new friend at the time, Chris Quimbo, who eventually became one of my greatest friends I’ve met while owning this GX and will probably be friends for life 😄. Well, he took me on a Fire Road, and it was the first time I had aired down and finally got a taste of driving “off-road “.

C6D1BDE0-6D71-42F9-954B-CF8D94516D66.jpeg

526C9CD0-D695-4D2C-B0D4-A2BA418E04AC.jpeg

257723C5-2619-413E-92F6-2C26B07B9776.jpeg

D2DE116A-4CCC-4892-99E5-6E7FFF0C0CF2.jpeg

DAFB8E46-F92C-4C5F-9A79-7E109EB7BBC2.jpeg

Last edited:
Bash Bar is from Ronin Metalworks, but they no longer make them.
Does it at least offer some protection from trail obstacles, like steep departure angle scraping?

Now, the fire road was awesome and I thank Chris for popping my “off-road” cherry, but my next friend that I officially got to meet (became buds on Instagram) is Duy. Duy is the person who influenced me into getting the Ironman bumper and Front Runner Roof Rack. He’s also the one who introduced me to Jameson, who built my sliders and bash bar. Really cool dudes, and added to my “friends for life” category of friends.

Shoot, got off track. Where was I? Oh yeah, Duy took my to Cleghorn the very next day after I went on the fire road. Cleghorn was awesome and I’d really love to try it again. A lot is different now versus then 😄.

Oh and Duy and his wife took these photos. Also found out that I was natural out there. This was where I found out, I loved off-roading and needed more of it in my life.

IMG_6460.jpeg

IMG_6454.jpeg

IMG_6455.jpeg

IMG_6462.jpeg

IMG_6458.jpeg

Last edited:
Does it at least offer some protection from trail obstacles, like steep departure angle scraping?
Yes, but no hitting the sides. You’ll see why later 😄.

I've done Cleghorn also, but my wife always has me take the easier lines. :(
But in the end, I have to admit, I have not had any body damage yet in 5 years of wheeling. (quick!! Where's some wood to knock on!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom