Would you Buy This 78 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off hello everybody I have been lurking on here for a little while now. I'm currently looking for a FJ40 or BJ40 an a gentleman has contacted me and offer this one for sale. I'm looking to get some more pictures from him. I'm curious on what your guys opinions are. I'm very new at this and am not 100% what to look for. he claims he has changed all the u-joints and seal except the front hubs but he has the kits. new fuel pump, plugs, carb, and rebuilt distributor.has full aluminum tub.from the front doors back (not really certain what that means. as in exactly where it stops). Did not coem with ambulance doors but he picked up a used set but I guess they are in need of rust repair. he is asking 15K

IMG_9530.JPG

IMG_9529.JPG

IMG_9531.JPG

IMG_9532.JPG

IMG_9533.JPG

I want one for light wheeling and slowing freshen it up over a couple years. When I saw the checker plate that is the first thing I thought is they were covering this up.

what do YOU want?

that is all that matters.

I wouldn't buy it, I don't want an AL tub or cut rear fenders....but that's me. Is it fully stock drivetrain?

Yes drivetrain is stock. the rear fender look cut? and is there a reason you wouldn't want an aluminum tub?

I bought my '78 for 16.5 and feel it was a pretty fair price. I don't think that one is worth 15k, I'd think more like 12k. If you want to make it look somewhat stock, it's got a ways to go. If part of the tub was replaced, it must have been due to rust. I'm guessing the rig is in Canada, and like New England, that means rust and that can get really expensive to fix. I got mine from Idaho because it had very little rust. Maybe consider something rust free, even if you have to pay to ship it. Depending on your price range, I'd suggest reaching out to @overton. He knows what's out there and what to look for.

But good luck with your journey, even those who've overpaid seem to say they still don't regret it. It's a great vehicle and community.

The first aluminum tub may have been diamond pattern but isn't an aluminum tub but stock tub with diamond plate. Theee is stock tub between the rear corners and the rockers under the door. That is a huge red flag unless your wanting to learn how to repair rust damage. This one looks like it would give all the practice you want and more.

It looks like it will need work. Diamond plate makes me nervous.. but it’s a good starting place for someone to get into the hobby?! More pictures will help.

The diamond plate and fender flares (hiding cut rear quarters) would be big turn-offs for me. I wouldn't give $15K for that one.

giphy.gif

I bought my '78 for 16.5 and feel it was a pretty fair price. I don't think that one is worth 15k, I'd think more like 12k. If you want to make it look somewhat stock, it's got a ways to go. If part of the tub was replaced, it must have been due to rust. I'm guessing the rig is in Canada, and like New England, that means rust and that can get really expensive to fix. I got mine from Idaho because it had very little rust. Maybe consider something rust free, even if you have to pay to ship it. Depending on your price range, I'd suggest reaching out to @overton. He knows what's out there and what to look for.

But good luck with your journey, even those who've overpaid seem to say they still don't regret it. It's a great vehicle and community.

I have to agree this community is great. Very polite and professional much different from other vehicles forums :). the 15K is in Canadian not USD. Yes it is in Canada. Yes I can guarantee it has had rust issues. Id love to find something rust free but that is so close to impossible in Canada its not even funny. Its hard enough finding one let alone a rust free one. is @overton in Canada or the US?

Thank you Searching is one of the best parts

there is a price point, under which tread plate is acceptable and over it tread plate becomes unacceptable...it is not a rigid point but depends on a lot of variables...however, $15K is well north of the point that having tread plate becomes not only unacceptable, but laughable to be asking that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom