'78 FJ40 2F Distributor - where to buy, and diagram (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need a new distributor. Any recommendations on brand? Seen them fro $300 to $500.

Also need a diagram or pics of wjere the condensor goes into it

Note that a '78 is electronic so you need a '78-'79. Later distributor, 80-87 although superior, requires a sidecover and coolant pipe swap to fit.

Used is your best bet, otherwise the new options from City Racer as said above will be a points dizzy, which is plenty sufficient, just requires a coil/igniter swap to the 75-77 style.

What is wrong with yours?

We have a 73 fj, but has a 78 motor, tranny and tcase. I dont know what is wrong with it. My dad was working on it today and said we would need a new one

I dont think we have an electronic distributor
Note that a '78 is electronic so you need a '78-'79. Later distributor, 80-87 although superior, requires a sidecover and coolant pipe swap to fit.

Used is your best bet, otherwise the new options from City Racer as said above will be a points dizzy, which is plenty sufficient, just requires a coil/igniter swap to the 75-77 style.

What is wrong with yours?

What is wrong with your

Screenshot_20231019_175534_Gallery.jpg

The dizzy in picture is a points dizzy based on the cap. A USA ‘78 was electronic so you need to understand that the dizzy AND coil/igniter are part of this equation.

What coil/igniter do you have? Is the truck originally a USA market?

The best combo off the shelf (in my opinion) is the stock ‘78 combination for a USA market truck assuming it’s a pre 80 2F. 80-87 dizzy is the best oem option if you have the side over and coolant pipe to match. For points I’d use the new oem 2F/3F dizzy paired with a 75-77 coil/igniter combo.

Last edited:
I bought a rebuilt '78 dizzy and a compatible Tercel igniter from 4cruisers. Excellent combo, and John is great to work with!

I just had to run vent lines for the cap.

Date change was 8/80 the start of the 81 model. The 80 model used the same as the 79 model I show 9/77-1/79 (78 model in the US) as a separate part number.

That's not a '78 coil/ igniter. Looks earlier.
Correct - for a USA market truck that is pre '75. USA Market '75-'77 used a coil/igniter combo to take the load off the points. Non-USA markets generally only use the coil/ballast resistor with points which is what the OP currently has.

As @Living in the Past said, 9/77-1/79 used electronic ignition which continued until '87.

For your '78, stick with what came factory, works great and far superior to the regular coil/ballast resistor that you currently have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom