Landtank Modified Fan Clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you for the info!

Was fully loaded with weight... 5 adults, 1 kid, 2 small dogs, luggage, and a hitch rack. It was also @95 degrees outside when I started a steep climb of to Big Bear, CA from the San Bernardino area. The AC had been serviced @2 years ago with a new compressor and everything that goes along with it. Even before the climb the AC wasn't blowing cold whenever there was traffic... only relatively cool over @50mph and the temperature on the scan gauge was @195 on the flat highway. When climbing it got all the way to 220* at point which the AC shuts off on it's own (only the blower motor working). I can see that the existing fan clutch is leaking as there's moisture/dust around the shaft.

That's what I was thinking would be best... install the brand new one I have and check the improvement first. Just didn't want to do the job twice.
The guys down in the desert regions put 30k CST oil in those wimpy blue hub fan clutches. If I were you I wouldn’t mess with the clutch timing and just evacuate the oil from the new clutch and fill to the brim with 25-30kcst silicone oil.

The clutch is timed to work in unison with the thermostat. Burning fuel to pull extra air through a radiator that’s not flowing fully because the thermostat still isn’t fully open isn’t really doing as much good as it sounds like it would.

Both of my clutches are older black hub clutches. 20k oil is about max to run in these clutches because they have a larger oil shearing area. Years ago I retimed one clutch based on instructions here on mud and put 15k oil in it. Some time later I decided to fill my other black hub clutch with 15k and install it still with the factory timing. I noticed zero difference.

I assume your cooling system is in tip top order? Aluminum or copper core radiator?

Last edited:
The guys down in the desert regions put 30k CST oil in those wimpy blue hub fan clutches. If I were you I wouldn’t mess with the clutch timing and just evacuate the oil from the new clutch and fill to the brim with 25-30kcst silicone oil.

The clutch is timed to work in unison with the thermostat. Burning fuel to pull extra air through a radiator that’s not flowing fully because the thermostat still isn’t fully open isn’t really doing as much good as it sounds like it would.

Both of my clutches are older black hub clutches. 20k oil is about max to run in these clutches because they have a larger oil shearing area. Years ago I retimed one clutch based on instructions here on mud and put 15k oil in it. Some time later I decided to fill my other black hub clutch with 15k and install it still with the factory timing. I noticed zero difference.

I assume your cooling system is in tip top order? Aluminum or copper core radiator?

The only PM I did on the cooling system was replace the thermostat with an OEM one, and top off/bleed the coolant. When I purchased the truck, the old thermostat was stuck upen and the truck would run cold and take forever to get to operating temperature or not get there at all.

It looks like it's a copper core radiator as it has the plastic tanks top and bottom.

Have an older fan clutch, however it has no name on it, so doubt it's an OEM. Attached are a few of pictures showing the new one and old one (which looks slightly bigger in diameter).
20230717_142319.jpg
20230717_142353.jpg
20230717_142418.jpg
20230717_142255.jpg
20230717_142414.jpg

The only PM I did on the cooling system was replace the thermostat with an OEM one, and top off/bleed the coolant. When I purchased the truck, the old thermostat was stuck upen and the truck would run cold and take forever to get to operating temperature or not get there at all.

It looks like it's a copper core radiator as it has the plastic tanks top and bottom.

Have an older fan clutch, however it has no name on it, so doubt it's an OEM. Attached are a few of pictures showing the new one and old one (which looks slightly bigger in diameter).View attachment 3376400View attachment 3376402View attachment 3376403View attachment 3376404View attachment 3376405
Plastic tanks usually come on an aluminum core which is what you want. I’m sorry but the photos of the clutches mean nothing to me as I’ve only ever dealt with the black hub clutch. When it comes to the thermostat, the Toyota part is pretty much universally preferred. Good luck with this.

A drain and fill on a Blue clutch will be a crap shoot concerning the end result in performance regardless of what CST oil is used.

While adjusting the clutches timing will help with overall performance, it’s most noticeable at idle with the AC on. During that time you will have lower air temps and a happier wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom